Of Battleforces and Combat Patrols

Squark

So, GW has revealed this year's Space Marine Battleforce, as well as the new Blood Angels combat patrol, and these got the gears in my brain turning. I've decided to post a comparison of the three boxes here, as a purchasing reference for anyone looking to pick stuff up soon

1- Space Wolves Combat Patrol (MSRP- $140 USD)

Contents

-Space Wolves Primaris Battle Leader (Estimated $35)

-10 Intercessors ($60)

-5 Rievers/Hounds of Morkai ($30)*

-Invictor Tactical Warsuit ($60)

-2 Primaris Upgrade Sprues  ($28, but currently missing from GW webstore. Might change to 25 if they're bundled together the way the newer upgrade sprues are)

Total Value: $213 USD ($73 USD Savings)

*GW generally charges more for half of a full squad. I'm ignoring that here, but feel free to mentally increase the cost of any half-kit units by $5-8 if you so desire)

While that initially seems like a decent value, the devil is in the details. Rievers/Hounds of Morkai are a very situational unit, and the Upgrade Sprues are of limited value if you're not using Ragnar's Great Company. That erases most of the savings, and I personally feel I'd rather have a different troops choice than 2 intercessor packs. Hence why I was kind of annoyed to see Blood Angels get...

2-Blood Angels Combat Patrol (Estimated MSRP -$140 USD)

-Primaris Librarian ($35)

-5 Intercessors ($30)

-5 Incursors ($30)

-3 Aggressors ($50)

-Impulsor ($75)

-1 (?) Primaris Upgrade Sprue ($14)

Total Value: $234 USD ($94 USD Savings)

... This is what I wish our start collecting box was. Okay, I'd rather have a Phobos Librarian or the SW Battle Leader, but other than that, this is the perfect space wolves starter set. You don't waste money on reivers, and Agressors really, really want to be space Wolves for Outflank and +1 to hit. Plus Incursors are just really, really good in Space Wolves. Leave the Space Wolves Combat Patrol on the shelf, and buy this.

3-Space Marine Interdiction Force (MSRP Unknown)

-Phobos Captain ($35)

-10 Infiltrators ($60)

-10 Incursors ($60 and some work converting the reivers with the leftover bits from this box)

-Invictor Tactical Warsuit ($60)

-Impulsor ($75)

Total Value $291 USD

Battleforces are in kind of an awkward place now that Combat Patrols are as big as they are. It'll be interesting to see what GW charges for this box. As for using this box for Space Wolves... Maybe. You get the parts to turn the reivers into an actually good unit, but I don't see Space Wolves wanting more than one unit of Infiltrators or a Phobos Captain, so getting two units of infiltrators and a Phobos Captain is a bit much. I'd pass on this box, personally, but I won't fault anyone for getting it.

So, what do you guys think?

Yeah, I'm mostly eyeing up the Blood Angels box as well. The invictor is kind of interesting, but that would be about it for the SW box for me. Already got the primaris librarian, but I might just convert him into a judiciar, probably...

Edited by ranulf the revenant