Long Fangs...the ultimate swiss army knife...SW exclusive

TiguriusX

I just discovered this while fiddling around with our codex

We all know Long Fangs can hunt vehicles like their devastator cousins

5 multi meltas and an armorium cherub are a standard takeaway from our new codex

8 BS3 shots and 4 BS2 shots with the multi-meltas...I have been using this out of a drop pod and it is a nice combo

But did you know for a small investment you can turn your hard hitting anti tank unit into a horde killer at the same time?

Add a Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader with an assault cannon

Give signum and cherub to the terminator when firing

12 shots at BS2 (use keen senses if you moved) S6 AP1 D1

You still have those 10 BS3 multi melta shots you can fire at whatever else is in the area as well

9th edition Long Fangs no longer have innate rerolls of 1...but they have new tricks like this at their disposal

What crazy ideas have others come up with?

Unfortunately, I don't think Terminators can ride Drop Pods... so, if you include a TDA Pack Leader, then they have to ride a Land Raider, Stormraven, or come in via Outflank.

The terminator combo doesn't need a drop pod. That was the non terminator usage

Just outflank for 1 CP to any board edge if you use the terminator

One thing though: if you aren't using your LFs on turn 1 via drop pods, you are giving up the usefulness of the doctrine for the rest of the game. That's one of the crazy issues with eradicators. They are at their strongest when they are outflanked, hitting with AP-5 on round 2.

It's not really specific to Long Fangs, but you can use a combination of Wolf Priest a couple drop pods of Grey Hunters with Wolf Standards. Wolf Priest gets to use canticles of hate and could have the hunter trait, you could use the aura of majesty instead to increase the litany range and to make nearby units fearless. you can use commanding oratory to get the Canticles to go off so that the grey hunters can charge, +2 to charge roll + Standards Reroll 1's to charge and advance rolls, this increases the chances of a 1st turn alpha strike combined with TWC and Fenrisian Wolves utilizing pack hunter strat would allow for rapid response from overwhelming support units

That is a neat combo. I had been thinking of the WGPL in TDA as just a bullet catcher but the AC really does improve the versatility of the squad and the range synergises nicely with MMs. And you still have the LFPL free to take Morkai bolts via the Thane stratagem to give them a cheap source of rerolls too.

Tricky one. By the time you have spent 40+ points on him, he just feels a bit to pricey to use as a bullet catcher.

Then again I suppose it depends on what you are facing. Against armoured targets, taking bullets for the MM Long Fangs could be worth it. Against horde targets, the SS might help him survive a little longer once the rest of the pack has fallen.

One other way to get tricky with this combo is to give the WG TDA Pack Leader Master-Crafted on his Heavy Weapon.... that means you have either a Hvy 6 S6 AP-1 Dmg2 Assault Cannon, a Hvy 2 S8 AP-2 Dmg D6+1 Cyclone Missile Launcher,  or a Heavy D6 S5 Ap-1 Dmg2 Heavy Flamer, any of which can be used to shoot twice once in the game, if you have your Armourium Cherub still.

Dmg2 Assault Cannon is probably the most versatile, especially in the current 2W Marine meta, but having Krak Missiles with minimum 2 Dmg and average 4 Dmg each is pretty clutch as well, especially if you need to plink some finally wounds off a vehicle/monster/character that is more than 24" from your Long Fangs.

One other way to get tricky with this combo is to give the WG TDA Pack Leader Master-Crafted on his Heavy Weapon.... that means you have either a Hvy 6 S6 AP-1 Dmg2 Assault Cannon, a Hvy 2 S8 AP-2 Dmg D6+1 Cyclone Missile Launcher, or a Heavy D6 S5 Ap-1 Dmg2 Heavy Flamer, any of which can be used to shoot twice once in the game, if you have your Armourium Cherub still.

Dmg2 Assault Cannon is probably the most versatile, especially in the current 2W Marine meta, but having Krak Missiles with minimum 2 Dmg and average 4 Dmg each is pretty clutch as well, especially if you need to plink some finally wounds off a vehicle/monster/character that is more than 24" from your Long Fangs.

Wasn't even thinking of master crafted assault cannons

That basically turns your 43 point terminator (gotta include SS) into a freaking baby leviathan dreadnought with dual storm cannons for a single turn

12 shots BS2 AP1 D2 using signum and cherub

I think the newly nerfed leviathan is 16 shots S7 AP1 D2

I really wanna add this combo to a list now

I love the Master Crafted Assault Cannon idea! Using this Next time I field my Heavy Bolter Fangs!

I love the Master Crafted Assault Cannon idea! Using this Next time I field my Heavy Bolter Fangs!

I love the idea of a Wolf Guard hauling about what is effectively an Avenger Gatling Cannon. I can't tell if that is genius or broken. :biggrin.:

My thoughts exactly. I will be trying this out tomorrow I’m my 1250pt game vs Templars.

Edit: to make this happen do we only spend 1cp for thane of the retinue or 2 cp for thane and relic of chapter?

Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84

I love the idea of a Wolf Guard hauling about what is effectively an Avenger Gatling Cannon. I can't tell if that is genius or broken. :biggrin.:

My thoughts exactly. I will be trying this out tomorrow I’m my 1250pt game vs Templars.

Edit: to make this happen do we only spend 1cp for thane of the retinue or 2 cp for thane and relic of chapter?

It merits an FAQ, but as best as I can tell Thane of the retinue only overrides the normal restriction on who can be given a relic. You still need to have a relic choice available, whether that's your freebie or from relic of the chapter. Edited by Squark