Blackshields

TheSauce

Anyone have any experience with or love for Blackshield veterans?

Looking at their datasheet and they look crazy good (with a few drawbacks).

+5 points over a regular vet gives you +1 Attack, +1 WS, and if you take two melee weapons you get another attack.

I'm looking at a few possible loadouts (not counting the +1 attack in the first round of combat):

- Heavy thunder hammer (3 attacks hitting on 3+ natively)

- Two chainswords (6 attacks!)

- Two lightning claws (6 attacks with rerolls to wound, though we are already rerolling 1s to wound pretty easily)

- Chainsword and power fist (4 power first attacks on 3+, plus one extra with the chainsword).

The blackshield also opens up the heroic intervention strat for the unit, which is a nice situational buff.

Now for the drawbacks:

- RAW, no way to get a blackshield in a kill team.

- Can only be in units size 6+ (though you could make a 5-man combat unit by combat squadding a full 10-man)

- You give up shooting to be a melee beatstick

I think I'm leaning towards the power fist loadout in a min squad (6) of bolter + chainsword, with 1-2 shields. Probably to go in a razorback to sit and threaten a midfield objective.

You could also build a big melee blender squad of veterans, but I think mixed kill teams are probably better suited for that role, with thunder hammer terminators for tanking and more options for strats/specalisms.