1k core for the Tohakh dynasty

Miek

Hi people,

I'm trying to settle on a 1k points core for my dynasty that could either be played as it is, or be expanded for larger games. I would really appreciate your input, and I apologize in advance if I put too many constraints for you to give meaningful advices! Also, I know I'm rambling... But I'm kinda stuck with my thoughts and my phone at the moment!

I only play friendly games. I want something that works well, has synergies and so on, but nothing too competitive. Rule of cool applies and I try to avoid using more than one of any unit apart from troops. Also no LoW.

I love playing a few big warriors blobs supported by QS vehicles. It's though, simple and effective. That was my general composition throughout 7th Ed, but I didn't like warriors in 8th so I mostly played Nephrekh destroyers + wraiths. Now I love warriors again!

For fluff reasons, I want my phaeron to have a tachyon arrow rebranded as a gravitational beam emitter. Sadly that means no CCB for now.

Especially at the 1k range, I'd like to run a single custom dynasty and try using command protocols. I really like the idea of choosing to play second so I picked immovable phalanx; I chose interplanetary invaders for now but I'm not entirely sold.

The general idea is that I want to play second to maximize the immovable phalanx trait benefit and the eternal guardian protocol turn 1. The trait also synergize with the overlord's enduring will trait. To still give my opponent the desire to go first, if they win the roll, I'd deploy my Triarch Stalker, Tesseract ark and overlord in line of sight with the best target possible. I think both vehicles should sustain whatever the opponent throws at then on turn 1.

On my turn, one blob of warriors and the TS should move towards the center, the TA and Immortals should adapt / occupy flanks / objectives, and the characters should follow the warriors. The deathmarks will either occupy an objective or snipe / adapt to the opponent (from deep strike). The thralls would either sit on an objective or follow the cryptek.

I think I'm lacking in mobility but that it won't be an issue in 30" x 44".

Any thoughts? Think I should drop the Immortals and deathmarks for more warriors? Like / hate it?

Here's the list:

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Necrons) [48 PL, 4CP, 995pts] ++

Circumstance of Awakening: Interplanetary Invaders

Dynastic Tradition: Immovable Phalanx

+ HQ +

Crypteks [6 PL, -2CP, 120pts]

. Cryptothralls

. . 2x Cryptothrall

. Technomancer: Canoptek Cloak, Dynastic Heirlooms, Rarefied Nobility, Relic: Veil of Darkness, Warlord Trait (Codex 4): Thrall of the Silent King

Overlord [6 PL, 100pts]: Relic: The Arrow of Infinity, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 1): Enduring Will

. Tachyon Arrow and Hyperphase Glaive: Tachyon Arrow

+ Troops +

Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: Gauss Blaster, 5x Immortal

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 260pts]

. 20x Necron Warrior (Gauss Flayer): 20x Gauss Flayer

+ Elites +

Deathmarks [4 PL, 90pts]

. 5x Deathmark

Triarch Stalker [7 PL, 140pts]: Heat Ray

+ Heavy Support +

Tesseract Ark [9 PL, 200pts]

. Two Gauss Cannons: 2x Gauss Cannon

++ Total: [48 PL, 4CP, 995pts] ++

Thanks, I might have to rely on the veil early game to compensate, or perhaps change the thralls and immortals or deathmarks for scarabs or tomb blades to compensate, but I think I should first test it with more infantry.

Quick note: I'll swap interplanetary invaders with healthy paranoia. My vehicles aren't blast and they are few, thus the former wouldn't see much use, whereas the 3" increase in range will help compensate for the slow army. It'll also help each better targets with the Triarch Stalker. Edited by Miek

• 4 months later...

Haven't found the immovable phalanx as useful and fun as I thought. Here's my current base 1k list:

+ HQ +

Overlord: Relic: The Arrow of Infinity, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 1): Enduring Will

. Tachyon Arrow and Hyperphase Glaive: Tachyon Arrow

Royal Warden: Dynastic Heirlooms, Rarefied Nobility, Relic: Veil of Darkness, Warlord Trait (Codex 5): Implacable Conqueror (Aura)

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors

. 20x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 20x Gauss Reaper

Necron Warriors

. 10x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 10x Gauss Reaper

+ Elites +

Flayed Ones

. 5x Flayed One: 5x Flayer Claws

Triarch Stalker: Heat Ray

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarab Swarms

. 5x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 5x Feeder Mandibles

+ Dedicated Transport +

Ghost Ark

I dont play Necrons, but I was close to constructing an entire necrons army cuz they look so cool.

So I happened to pick up some goodies along the way. The thing is. Why focus so much on infantry when you have so strong tanks?

What i picked up about necrons is that the general rule for playing them is that you want to have this core build:

* 3 Doomsday arcs (and i said doomsday arc, dont ask me, cant I take ghost arcs instead?)

* 3 Doom scythes

* 3 HQ choices, one among them shall be a spellcaster

If you play this build, you will see enormous change. You will rack up tons of more firepower, and you will have a solid base for your army. Like, warriors and immortals are strong, but necrons arent the type of army that hide behind a corner like dark eldar. Necrons want to blast apart the foe with dazzling firepower, and have tanky units. You need them in order to tank your infantry. You dont want your elites to get gunned down by plasma fire or dark lances, etc.

Well that's very "8th edition", what you describe makes no sense in 9th (no offense, I understand it was a valid strategy in 8th). 9th is about holding objectives and scoring secondary objectives, not about blasting stuff up. Planes can't do either of those things. DDA can, and can be objective secure with the right custom dynasty, but it's not necessarily optional.

For example, the flayed ones are there to perform actions in the enemy zone. The Scarabs and warriors are there to hold objectives. The Triarch Stalker is there do provide some anti tank, buff the army and "go with the flow". The HQs support the blobs.

I'm not saying a vehicle army wouldn't work, but 3 Flyers is probably a bit much, and I just happen to like playing an infantry centered army. It's pretty :)

Edited by Miek

Well that's very "8th edition", what you describe makes no sense in 9th (no offense, I understand it was a valid strategy in 8th). 9th is about holding objectives and scoring secondary objectives, not about blasting stuff up. Planes can't do either of those things. DDA can, and can be objective secure with the right custom dynasty, but it's not necessarily optional.

For example, the flayed ones are there to perform actions in the enemy zone. The Scarabs and warriors are there to hold objectives. The Triarch Stalker is there do provide some anti tank, buff the army and "go with the flow". The HQs support the blobs.

I'm not saying a vehicle army wouldn't work, but 3 Flyers is probably a bit much, and I just happen to like playing an infantry centered army. It's pretty :smile.:

Then why do you ask, if you already know the answer?

The truth is that you picked units that are not strong at all.

If you want to build an army of units that you like out of sentimentality, do it.

But make sure to point out that playability and competitiveness is not a deciding factor,

and that you want it for a 'beer and pretzels' game with your friends.

So long.

I realize my respond has offended you and I'm sorry for that. It wasn't my intent but I can see my responses wasn't perfect.

Note that my first post includes the following: "I only play friendly games. I want something that works well, has synergies and so on, but nothing too competitive. Rule of cool applies and I try to avoid using more than one of any unit apart from troops."

Respectfully, I do disagree with your statement about those units not being strong at all, but there are other threads better suited to discuss strategy than my "fluffy dynasty army" thread. I would recommend the "unit of the week" series, and I'm particularly fond of TableTopGuard on YouTube.

I realize my respond has offended you and I'm sorry for that. It wasn't my intent but I can see my responses wasn't perfect.

Note that my first post includes the following: "I only play friendly games. I want something that works well, has synergies and so on, but nothing too competitive. Rule of cool applies and I try to avoid using more than one of any unit apart from troops."

Respectfully, I do disagree with your statement about those units not being strong at all, but there are other threads better suited to discuss strategy than my "fluffy dynasty army" thread. I would recommend the "unit of the week" series, and I'm particularly fond of TableTopGuard on YouTube.

I dislike it when others have the audacity of telling me they have offended me.

I am not ruled by emotion, it takes more than that to offend me.

But letting you say that what you said offended me sure is a valid excuse to escape an agument, isnt it?

The thing is: the units you have selected arent 'competitive' in any setting at all,

they suck. Either you can change it, or keep them just cause you like them.

And if youre gonna dismiss other people's advice and insult them,

stick to your list. Dont ask others for advice.

I am sorry and I meant it.

Okay, I see you are.

But I don't think I can help you much more. Maybe if you werent so rude and dismissive, you wouldnt get so few comments.

Also, if you dont want to make your list 'better' Im not the right person to ask.

I only knew the basics for necrons, you know. And this isnt me trying to be rude,

all Im saying is, you probably got this better than I do already,

and I feel like I really cant help you.

It looks like a really good core, only thing I don't like are the flayed ones - don't really like them generally so I'm a lil biased- but even so I think they're a lil out of sync with the rest of what your list is doing. You said you've fallen out of love with phalanx, what are you using dynasty wise?

I like flayed ones for performing secondary actions in the enemy deployment zone. We don't have many deepstrikers that can perform actions and they're the cheapest ones, and they can be surprisingly resilient with the -1 to hit stratagem (shadows of drazak). An alternative would be deathmarks, but they're a bit more expensive. Sadly I don't really use them to hit anything, but they usually manage to score their 15 points.

Note that I'm also biased, I modeled + printed custom flayed ones:

gallery_225534_16617_352462.jpg

Dynasty wise, I'm leaning towards novokh but I'm experimenting. I didn't really benefit from the immovable phalanx that much, especially now that you can't choose to play second when you win the roll off. I think the 20 reaper warriors with the warden will be rather troublesome to deal with, and melee happens. Would you have a suggestion based on my list?

I'm mostly playing against xenos armies, we don't have anyone in our group that went for space marines. Thus I don't usually need a lot of AP (hence I'm not that interested in mephrit).

Edited by Miek