The Tohakh dynasty

Miek

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I think the thralls are a very odd design... I didn't like them at first but they kinda grew on me (they're awkward but cute). I wanted to paint them with my dynasty's colors (hence the red) but wasn't sure how much of it should be red; maybe it should've been less. Maybe just the collar?

I guess the red to metal ratio will look better on the new ones, and the general design is more "canopteky" (i.e.: more insectoid, less junkyard afternoon project).

Edited by Miek

Haha absolutely, and good to see you NTaW! Thanks again for organizing the royal awakening, it's been a huge motivator for me. I believe I'm due for an update on my collection. Most of it has been painted during the royal awakening and 2021's monthly challenge:

gallery_225534_16611_1211294.jpg

gallery_225534_16611_483030.jpg

I still have a few grey models, but the pile is growing thinner and thinner (especially if we forget about my half of Indomitus, which is still mostly on its sprues... ahem):

gallery_225534_16611_964569.jpg

Thanks! I started with an FDM printer a while ago, and printed the tomb sentinel/stalker, 5~6 wraiths, 7 destroyers, 2 tesseract arks, 2 sentry pylons and a triarch stalker. It worked surprisingly well for vehicles but not quite enough for smaller models and the quality was generally too low for painting.

Afterwards I got a resin printer, which is amazing, and printed scarabs, a tesseract ark, a triarch stalker, a deceiver, 5 flayed ones, 2 cryptothralls (not shown here), a few conversion bits and I've started a second army (skaven as Nurgle chaos demons).

It's somewhat demanding and arguably expensive, but it's really fun. I do want to start using green stuff though, so I got a few sculpting tools and am thinking about how my skaven demon prince could look. It'll probably be mostly printed with green stuff here and there. That's for another topic though!

Miek that is a bonkers amount of painted models! Quite a glorious display. I too have a fair bit to assemble, let alone paint. Good thing this hobby is a long-haul sort of thing! I've been using Contrast on another project and am excited to paint my NewCrons a little quicker once I finally get to them. Have you been able to get a game in this edition with those killbots?

DP-L I could picture a grot piloting one :lol:

Thanks NTaW! I have dabbled with contrast paints, but the airbrush remains my favorite time saver. It's just a bit hard to not go too far with it at times, but I love the overall result.

Unfortunately we're still pretty much in confinement; I'm getting my first vaccine shot today, but I haven't played against someone else than myself in about a year. I should be able to meet and play with my older brother and nephew at the end of July, if the variants don't put us back in total confinement. I can't wait.

I did manage to get a few games between indom and the new codex, I LOVED MWBD'ing my Tesla cannons! To bad that's over.

Oh right, you're in Ontario (or maybe Quebec?) right? I'm in Ontario and with the never-ending lockdown and being an "essential worker" I really haven't thought much about 40k over the last few months. That's awesome you have some potential for gaming lined up! I've been slowly building up a proper 40k table in the basement (I have a couple skirmish tables but nothing bigger than 4x4') so hopefully I'll be able to get a friend over some day to roll dice.

I have an old airbrush I should look into getting functional, though I would pretty much have to bring it in to work so I could use the paint booth there. Even if it's just base coating various non-rattle can colours it would be helpful.

Edited by NTaW

Yup, Québec city, QC. I'm also thinking about building a gaming table, did you share your progress on the forum? We got a new 10'x18' shed for our yard (heated, internet, should be installed in early July) so of course it needs to be a gaming room ;)

O dang, that's an excellent sounding space! I haven't shared anything yet, no. So far I've just printed a bunch of modular hills, rock outcroppings, and some obelisk/monolith type ruins as well as cut some pieces of masonite board to make the new table sizes (also a classic 6x4 of course). Gotta flock like mad and I still have to decide how I'll do the snow once I've painted it. Best part of doing your own table is having your army match it for a true home-turf advantage! What do you think you'll do for your table in the Battle Shed?

Haven't given it a lot of thought yet honestly, I have the desire to also make it my woodworking shed, so I'm wondering how that could work out. My wife would also like to use it to store stuff. I'd probably want the table to either work both as a work bench and a gaming table (convertible), make the table foldable, or make a nice rollable mat.

I'll probably end up going with the rollable mat(s) on top of the workbench, but we'll see!

• 2 months later...
Yeah it looks a bit tough to assemble, but I love this model and like its rules. I'll try to pull the Deceiver + psychomancer + flayed ones combo next game against Orks, I think it's going to be fun (my Orks adversary usually plays mechanized lists with a warboss biker, so around 6/7 Ld overall).

Looking awesome. I had to go back to some of your army wide shots, and they look amazing and unique. It always amazes me when faced with an army with a fairly 'ordinary' colour scheme, that so many people have their great little twist on it. The overall effect is fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the game was fun, but the psychomancer, Deceiver and flayed ones (plus other LD stuff from the drukhari player) didn't do much. The main reasons are that:

1. We failed to adequately shield our raiders and Deceiver with our 2x8 Nephrekh scarabs. Good ranged attacks from the orks, poor saves from the scarabs and great advance/charge rolls from the orks+tyranids wiped them all (scarabs and raiders).

2. Once the Deceiver was exposed, it was easy to remove in two turns.

I might try it again for fun in the future - if we had played our scarabs and raiders better it definitely could have turned out differently - but my next game is probably going to be more "standard" (ex.: Well supported warriors).

The psychomancer's ability triggering in the moral phase really hurts it, that's annoying. It could work with secondaries that trigger at the end of your turn, ex.: Stranglehold, but it's still very awkward.

Edited by Miek