The Tohakh dynasty

Miek

1. We failed to adequately shield our raiders and Deceiver with our 2x8 Nephrekh scarabs. Good ranged attacks from the orks, poor saves from the scarabs and great advance/charge rolls from the orks+tyranids wiped them all (scarabs and raiders).

2. Once the Deceiver was exposed, it was easy to remove in two turns.

How are you attempting to shield a C'Tan with scarabs?

1. We failed to adequately shield our raiders and Deceiver with our 2x8 Nephrekh scarabs. Good ranged attacks from the orks, poor saves from the scarabs and great advance/charge rolls from the orks+tyranids wiped them all (scarabs and raiders).

2. Once the Deceiver was exposed, it was easy to remove in two turns.

How are you attempting to shield a C'Tan with scarabs?

Not to answer for miek but when I use a c’tan, I am careful to have it behind my front line to prevent smites and to make sure I enter melee on my terms. That three damage a phase adds up fast if you get careless!

• 1 month later...

I'd like to participate in my first tournament ever next Saturday, if I can. My biggest concern is game time so I made a vehicle list with few models; I'm sure it's not optimal competitive wise but it'll help play faster and enjoy the event. I basically put every vehicle I had in a Vanguard detachment, with a bunch of action monkeys (cryptothralls, flayed ones, deathmarks, etc.).

Thus, after years of doing nothing but gathering dust, I've finally started painting my croissants (I'm not sure I've ever played them)! I'll try to finish them before then, minus the death rays; I've used those to make Sentry pylons a while ago. I use black on my vehicles for QS, so these will only be metal & red + energy.

gallery_225534_16617_644594.jpg

Had an unplanned surgery this weekend, so I'm not sure I'll be able to participate in the tournament. At least I'll be able to spend most of my week painting!

I'm still working on the bases, but the croissants would be pretty much tabletop ready (apart from the missing guns, which I'll try to print tomorrow):

gallery_225534_16617_626444.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Bjorn, the surgery went smoothly and I recovered quickly!

On a seperate note completely unrelated to recent events, I started working on refreshing my wraiths ;)

gallery_225534_16617_61408.jpg

My current ones are one of my first kitbashes and they look fine, but a bit simple.

It's a remix using the canoptek thingy on the new monolith, amongst other bits. I'd like them to be a bit spookier, perhaps a mix of the old Wraiths, my custom flayed ones and genetic canoptek bugs.

I played my first 40k tournament today! 2000 points ITC, 3x 2½h games in one day. I was concerned about the time so I made a list of almost exclusively vehicles and stuck to a relatively simple plan. I lost my first match to IG, then won my second and third matches against AdMec and Orks. We managed to complete turn 3 every match and we only counted points up to that point (i.e.: We didn’t predict how much each player would score if the game continued until the end). I don’t know how usually this is, but it obviously has a huge impact on the games: You have to try and score primaries as quickly as possible, and ignore stuff that is easier to score later down (ex.: ROD). Reserves and deep strike units are also quite less impactful.

My list included: CCB, Deceiver, Triarch Stalker, Annihilation Barge, Tesseract Ark, 2x Doom Scythes, 2x Ghost Arks (empty), 2x 3x Scarab Swarms, 2x 2x Cryptothralls, 5x Deathmarks & 5x Flayed Ones. I used Eternal Conquerors and Interplanetary Invaders (both proved to be great choices). The infantry was there for ROD, the rest to hold objectives and trade with the opponent. The CCB was a useless tool (didn't accomplish anything in 3 games, but was poorly fitted and didn't have anything to buff).

First match against IG: He had a bunch of tanks and a few infantry units. I took ROD, Purge the Vermin (PtV) and Bring it Down (BiD). He took Raise the Banners High (RtBH), Stranglehold and BiD. I had first turn but was severely lacking in reliable anti-tank weapons, while he had plenty of it. I thought I had plenty of anti infantry with the tesla but his guards had around 3~4+ save outside of cover for reasons so it took a while to clear them. I didn’t manage to kill any tank on my first turn, only a small unit of infantry and a few wounds off of a tank. He shot >600 points of mine on his first turn (~all of my anti tank), and he kept grinding me down for the rest of the game. He won with about 60 against my 30.

I love the ghost arks with this custom dynasty; coupled with their speed and size, they were great at preventing opponents from reaching objectifs. I love the role the Doom Scythes fill and used them for a similar purpose (prevent opponents from reaching objectifs), but 200 points felt like too much. They were very easy to put down and didn’t cause that much damage.

I think I played well but had a poor matchup, and he did play quite well.

Second match against AdMec: He had mostly infantry (skitarii & veterans), a 4-legged tank, a 2-legged ~tank, 3 mechanical horses & some supporting characters (sorry for the poor description, it was my first game against AdMec). We played the Scouring and he took Engage on all Fronts (EoaF), Bring them Down (BtD) and RtBH. I took ROD, PtV and GtD. I took first turn again but my choice of secondaries was very poor: he easily screened his half of the board, preventing me from scoring ROD (stopped the game after 3 turns), and had easy targets (scarabs, crytothralls, doom scythes) to prevent me from scoring GtD. Still, I managed to get rid of most of his anti-tank on my first turn, then hold more primaries than him and protect my half of the board (PtV).

I think we both played a bit poorly on this match; he was very defensive even though he took EoaF & didn’t raise banners at every opportunity. I should have picked Stranglehold and taken the center objective on my first turn, and replaced ROD with RtBH (and kept PtV). I won with about 30 vs 18.

The Ghost Arks were still great, the Scythes a bit less impactful, and the Deceiver did a memorable 7 mortals at one time with its unique power!

Third match against Orks: He had a full Killa Kans, Deff Dreads, Grot Tanks & Grots. We played Overrun and he chose EoaF, RtBH & BiD. I took RtBH, PtV & BiD. He took first turn and I should probably have put my Doom Scythes in reserve with Grand Illusion, but I didn’t. It was an interesting game because his army was definitely stronger and he would have - without a doubt - won had we played 5 turns. His army wasn’t objsec though and while he was busy killing my vehicles with his shooting, I focused on impeding his advance (ex.: blocking a narrow path with the Deceiver, heavily damaged vehicles, etc.) and killing his objective holding grots. I won with 48 vs 47.

I’m very happy about this match. It was a tough matchup but I think I played it well and really focused on what mattered (points), while he focused on dominating the battlefield. In a way we both accomplished what we set out to do :)

I had a blast and can’t wait for the next event! I believe I played my turns quickly enough and don’t need to concern myself so much about that aspect; next time I’ll build a more optimized list instead of focusing on a low model count. I believe the Void Dragon would have been a huge help in every matchup, I’m tempted… but I already have so much stuff to try and so many unpainted models…

The “3 rounds matches” and the way points are only counted up to this point is really major though; as mentioned above, ROD doesn’t seem viable in this case. I really have to try to maximize primaries early in the game and will likely use the classical 6” pre-game move to give me an edge, coupled with our better objective holders. A fun thought experiment would be to build a list that would have theoretically allowed me to win each of these matches.

Edit: Removed unintentional formatting.

Just realized that my opponent forgot to limit bring them down to 5 per round, and has counted one primary to many (so 5 extra). That'd bring him to ~50 vs my ~30. I think just swapping the Deceiver for the Void Dragon and playing a bit better would be sufficient to have given me a reasonable chance of winning this one. It would also have helped against orks.

Edited by Miek

Thanks Bjorn, the surgery went smoothly and I recovered quickly!

On a seperate note completely unrelated to recent events, I started working on refreshing my wraiths :wink:

gallery_225534_16617_61408.jpg

My current ones are one of my first kitbashes and they look fine, but a bit simple.

It's a remix using the canoptek thingy on the new monolith, amongst other bits. I'd like them to be a bit spookier, perhaps a mix of the old Wraiths, my custom flayed ones and genetic canoptek bugs.

I gave it some more thought and decided that I wanted my wraiths to look like huggers, not slashers / piecers. I modeled new legs based on the old spyder model and came up with this, thoughts?

gallery_225534_16617_82160.png

A few addition pictures:

gallery_225534_16617_86346.png

gallery_225534_16617_137099.png

gallery_225534_16617_161186.png

I like everything except the faceplate, to be honest. It's...off, somehow. Might just be the ratios being slightly different than regular wraiths, and the other canoptek stuff (like the reanimator). Just seems a tad too narrow at the top. Might just be perspectives, though, and everything else looks ace!

Those look very cool. 

Glad to hear your surgery went well… and you attended your first tournament! That’s awesome.  It’s have been in Ontario? Not too much is happening elsewhere in Canada. 

Thanks! It was near Quebec city, but I realized afterwards how unusual it was. Nobody submits their list (nobody even showed me theirs, and nobody wanted to look at mine when I offered it - I even brought copies), no clocks (and I believe no one made it past turn 3), etc. Still, lots of fun and will definitely go again, but can't take it too seriously.

I like everything except the faceplate, to be honest. It's...off, somehow. Might just be the ratios being slightly different than regular wraiths, and the other canoptek stuff (like the reanimator). Just seems a tad too narrow at the top. Might just be perspectives, though, and everything else looks ace!

I agree, it's its weak point. I tried a few alternatives unsuccessfully, but I'll keep looking. Thanks!

I prefer the slashy look. But to be honest, I'm not a fan of how regular wraiths look regardless.

Its why I built mine upside down to look like scorpions instead.

That's fair. I made my first version using parts from centipedes (and have improved my painting skills since) but I got inspired by lampreys and facehuggers for the new ones.

wraith14.jpg

I actually like that a lot better, weirdly enough, even though it's more visually distinct from the traditional canoptek head. A lot less 'uncanny valley' even though we're talking about mechano-snake things instead of humans.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, the Wraiths are happily printing (without the horns/spikes and flaps) and I just need the last one to post a pre paint group pic. As a sidenote, my printer's LCD screen is reaching its end of life so there are several spots where resin fails to garden, which leaves through holes in the prints. I can kinda work around those, but I like to keep some for battle damage. I'll try to make something cool out of it.

I'm not completely masochist, a new screen has been ordered :)

In the meantime, I bought and assembled 6 Skorpekhs (have never used any, should be fun) and assembled and painted 5 immortals I've had for a while:

gallery_225534_16611_250225.jpg

Don't know what I'll paint for December yet, maybe everything! But I probably should finalize my next tournament list and focus on its content.

Good night!

Love the color on the Immortals' shoulders/heads. Very nice.

Skorpekhs are quite fun- I run full six-man units all the time with a plasmacyte and really enjoy ripping through the enemy. Its especially fun when the other player just remembers Necrons as the older gunline version; having a deathsquad of six beastly Skorpekhs making a turn 1/2 charge and destroying whatever they hit is a real wake-up to them.

• 2 weeks later...

And the skorpekhs are done and ready to have fun! I had a very fun list to try against orks today (novokh with anrakyr, skorpekhs, lokhusts and wraiths) but I had to cancel at the last minute. No matter, their time will come!

gallery_225534_16611_771488.jpg

The wraiths are now underway, but I have messed up... There must have been sawdust I didn't notice on the models before I started priming, and they have a very grainy texture. I'll have to try giving them an IPA bath or something.

• 2 weeks later...