Firestrike Servo-Turrets?

L30n1d4s

So far, the consensus seems that these are not a really competitive choice in 9th edition, based on their lack of mobility, points cost, (relative) fragility, and lack of "Core" key word.

In most cases, I would have to agree with this, however I think I have found one case where Servo-Turrets might be a viable choice: Iron Hands.

More specifically, I think a pure Iron Hands army has access to the tools to make a battery of Firestrike Turrets into a decently viable backfield "firebase"/objective holder.

Iron Hands have the following unique capabilities:

1 - Super Doctrine -- When in Devastator Doctrine, Heavy Weapons re-roll 1s to Hit (this applies to all units, not just Core); combined with the Firestrike Turrets' ability to move and shoot with no penalty (as a vehicle) and BS2+, a three gun battery can easily average 17-18 Autocannon hits every turn, whether static or moving.

2 - IH unique Strats (Mercy is Weakness, Optimal Repulsion Doctrines, and Methodical Firepower) -- Allows you to get extra shooting Wounds for each unmodified roll of 6 to Wound (1 CP), Overwatch on 4+ (1 CP), and/or put an IH unit into Devastator Doctrine for for 1 CP, even when the rest of the army is in a different Doctrine.

3 - IH Librarian Powers -- Can give an IH vehicle unit (which a battery of 3 Firestrike Turrets are) +1 to their armor save; combined with their native 2+ save and light cover, this means you could have a Firestrike Turret battery with a 0+ save (so still gets a 3+ against AP-3 and a 4+ again AP-4).

4 - IH Relics -- Ironstone, the Relic everyone knows and loves, allows an IH Vehicle UNIT within 3" to reduce incoming damage by -1 (to a min of 1) ; again, works on non-Core units, so a Firestrike Turret battery is an eligible target

5 - IH Chapter Tactics -- Not to be overlooked, the 6+++ FNP gives the Firstrike Turrets 16% more survivability against incoming enemy attacks.

So, taken all together, you can have an IH Librarian with the Ironstone Relic babysitting a battery of 3 Firestrike Turrets (with Accelerator Autocannons). Use turn 1/Methodical Firepower to keep the Firestrike Turrets in Devastator Doctrine all game long, meaning that you have 18 x S7 AP-2 Dmg2 shots a turn, all at 48" range and with 97% accuracy. Throw in Mercy is Weakness to proc more wounds and you can routinely put around 16 unsaved wounds on a Rhino-equivelant vehicle, or kill 10 x 2W Marines in a single shooting phase, or kill around 18 T3 Guardsmen/Eldar/Gaunts/Pox Walkers per turn.

Perhaps more importantly, in terms of survivability, 3 Firestrike Turrets with cover/Psysteel amor from the Librarian have 15 x T5 0+save wounds, with a 6+++ FNP and the reduction of incoming Dmg by -1 to boot. To provide perspective, 5 Inceptors shooting with their 10D3 x BS3+ Overcharged Plasma Exterminator shots would average 24 shots, 16 hits, 10-11 wounds, 3-4 unsaved wounds, 3-4 damage inflicted, with potentially some of that damage saved by the 6+++ FNP. Bottom line, that is not even an entire Firestrike Turret (5W each) and the Librarian can cast Reforge next turn to repair D3 lost wounds.

Finally, the 3 Firestike Turrets and Librarian cost slightly above 350 points, so you still have more than 80% of your points left over in a 2000 point game to flesh out the rest of your army, letting this combo camp in your DZ, hold objectives, and provide 48" fire support all game long. If your opponent does manage to get into charge range, then you can use the Optimal Repulsion Doctrine Strat to let the whole battery Overwatch at BS4+ (so an average of 9 x S7 AP-2 Dmg2 hits on whatever unit is charging them... that can outright kill a 6 wound Biker Captain with just average rolling).

One last thing, as a Vehicle whose weapons do not have Blast, the Firestrike turrets can shoot into combat at -1 to Hit (so, effectively BS3+), meaning that even if they are successfully charged, they can shoot back next turn with up to 18 x S7 AP-2 Dmg2 attacks if all three turrets are still alive, so quite dangerous to lots of fast melee units (i.e. against a squad of 5 Vanguard Vets with JPs, Storm Shields, and Lightning Claws, the Firestrikes would get an average of 14 hits, 9-10 wounds, 4-5 failed saves, and 4-5 dead Vanguard). 

As you can see, this is why I think Iron Hands might be a viable way to run Firestrike Turrets, but with all the other chapters, I am at a loss.

Anyone else out there have any luck making Firestrike Turrets work outside of in a pure Iron Hands list?

Edited by L30n1d4s

Interesting analysis. I think you're right that Iron Hands can use Firestrikes better than anyone. I'm not yet convinced that Firestrikes are the unit that even Iron Hands should go for. Iron Hands do very well with most vehicles, and Firestrikes are not the best vehicles out there.

I briefly looked at these things for my Crimson Fists. They're pretty terrible though. They do get Legacy of Dorn on T1 for +1D against vehicles, but Fists don't have a strat to keep them in devastator doctrine. Without that they're pretty poor, with low damage and AP.

And  think I'm fine with running Redemptors with plasma for my Fists anyway. Those are Core, and they can get their plasma guns up to D4 vs vehicles. I think they win in a firefight with Firestrikes, even with the Ironstone, since the autocannons become D1 at the dreadnoughts. They just seem a far better unit all round, to me.

I think Firestrikes will do well if you go first on a table without enough cover. If not, they risk being taken out before you get to stick the Ironstone on them, or else struggling to see their targets. I think this kind of unit is a bit of a trap though, and it's better to try and play to win whoever goes first.

Edited by Mandragola

Crimson fists don't have a strat for manipulating doctine, but they don't need one either. The base codex has a "that unit get's all three doctrines this turn" strat.

Yes and no. This strat can only be used on Core units, and Firestrikes aren't Core. So if you're playing Fists you want something that's Core and has heavy weapons with S7+, to use this strat on. Iron Hands can use their devastator doctrine strat on anything.

This cuts down the options for Fists a lot. Dreadnoughts are Core, but not Deredeos, Leviathans (which would be awesome) or Invictors. No tanks. Attack bikes are one of the few properly mobile sources of high-strength heavy weapons on a Core choice. Eradicators, heavy Hellblasters (which aren't much good), Melta devastators are the main things you might use the strat on as Fists. Redemptors are arguably perfect because they can have a plasma gun and ironstorm pod benefitting from Legacy of Dorn, storm bolters getting exploding 6s and better AP, and even the Fist is happy to count as being in assault doctrine.