Replica, that's a great start. The greebles you added to the sword really add to the 'realism'. How are you planning on doing the surface of the sword? I ask because I was thinking that some engraved details could be nice.
The head you chose is nicely detailed.
One of the things that baffles me about that action figure is why the Aquila or Imperialis (chest decoration) is so chunky. The details/proportions are finer on the 28mm scale model! The really raised up effect makes it look very cartoony. Maybe you like it that way. I guess that I hope you do - it would be a lot of work to file it down.
For the chainsword, and parts of the armour, I plan to try free-hand some Sanguinius and Dante scenes. The sword will, hopefully, have one of those long 'doodle' style drawings you see in the codex between chapters? I'm not sure what to call them, but thats kind of the style I was thinking.
The wings dont bother me, but now that you mention it I cant unsee it! Very thick! I was planning to paint the wings black (i normally do them white on BA's) and this way maybe I can add some interesting scratches and chips to make its thickness seem like imposing slabs of armour?
I've started working on adding finer details to the backpack. I was thinking of ways to make it look a little more interesting, and I noticed that the Incessors come with two variants of backpack, one with the three slits and one with some holes so I decided to made some alterations.
This is the unmodified backpack:
I wanted to do the backpack variant with the holes, but I thought at this scale, I could get a bit more creative than just drilling some holes.
After removing the slits, I was pleased to find it was actually hollow, so I just needed to make a plate with holes. I have a punch and die set that is intended to make bolt heads. As you can see, I used this to make the bolts on the backpack and thought the look of the plastic with hexagonal holes looked really cool, so I went with that!
I added a photo-etched grill behind it all to add some finer detail, and then I glued it in place and closed up the gaps:
I wanted to add some details on the other side too, specifically the part directly behind his head as it will inevitably draw the eye -
I'm going to continue to add bits, but the backpack's main stuff is all done, for now....
Thanks for looking!