McFarlane Blood Angels Captain - WIP

Replica

Hi all,

I was very keen to do a McFarlane figure repaint, but I decided to lock the joints and make a statue. This will be for someone else, and they have requested it be a Blood Angels Captain.

3SRGzLz.jpg

lTeMmvr.jpg

I wanted to pose him like

xn8t9kx3jzv11.jpg

bVwuRVl.jpg?1

I have a 1/10 scale head from another model that seems to be scaled correctly enough, but I will sculpt a bit of hair on him.

The Chainsword is from the McFarlane Assault Primaris marine, but will just be a place holder for the weapon he ends up with, sword, axe, hammer, im not sure yet, but we'll see!

Thanks for looking!

~ Replica

Fantastic start and good to see you again, Replica! Looking forward to seeing further progress. :thumbsup:

Did you ever finish your Tyrannic War Veterans project?

Cheers! Glad to be back! Unfortunately I did not finish the Tyrannic War Vets, I do still have some of the minis though, so may revisit it in the future.

I've decided to give this Captain an Eviscerator, so I used the chainsword supplied with the Assault Primaris figure as a guide and made it about 1.5 times larger. I found that making it 2X the size made it a little too thick, so 1.5X seemed about right. 

fVRIFSg.jpg?1

I could probably have done the teeth a little cleaner and more consistent, but I really wasnt sure if it was going to work or if i'd abandon the idea for something easier. Instead, I am not displeased with the imperfections in the teeth and I intend this guy to be heavily weathered after a victorious battle so some damage to the teeth could be expected. 

1TxEOS8.jpg?3

I'll spend some time getting the length right, gaps filled and sanded before going further with the engine and grip. 

Thanks for looking! 

~ Replica 

Replica, that's a great start. The greebles you added to the sword really add to the 'realism'. How are you planning on doing the surface of the sword? I ask because I was thinking that some engraved details could be nice.

The head you chose is nicely detailed.

One of the things that baffles me about that action figure is why the Aquila or Imperialis (chest decoration) is so chunky. The details/proportions are finer on the 28mm scale model! The really raised up effect makes it look very cartoony. Maybe you like it that way. I guess that I hope you do - it would be a lot of work to file it down.

Replica, that's a great start. The greebles you added to the sword really add to the 'realism'. How are you planning on doing the surface of the sword? I ask because I was thinking that some engraved details could be nice.

The head you chose is nicely detailed.

One of the things that baffles me about that action figure is why the Aquila or Imperialis (chest decoration) is so chunky. The details/proportions are finer on the 28mm scale model! The really raised up effect makes it look very cartoony. Maybe you like it that way. I guess that I hope you do - it would be a lot of work to file it down.

Thanks StratoKhan!

For the chainsword, and parts of the armour, I plan to try free-hand some Sanguinius and Dante scenes. The sword will, hopefully, have one of those long 'doodle' style drawings you see in the codex between chapters? I'm not sure what to call them, but thats kind of the style I was thinking.

The wings dont bother me, but now that you mention it I cant unsee it! Very thick! I was planning to paint the wings black (i normally do them white on BA's) and this way maybe I can add some interesting scratches and chips to make its thickness seem like imposing slabs of armour? 

I've started working on adding finer details to the backpack. I was thinking of ways to make it look a little more interesting, and I noticed that the Incessors come with two variants of backpack, one with the three slits and one with some holes so I decided to made some alterations. 

This is the unmodified backpack:

NVFf7J6.jpg

I wanted to do the backpack variant with the holes, but I thought at this scale, I could get a bit more creative than just drilling some holes.

After removing the slits, I was pleased to find it was actually hollow, so I just needed to make a plate with holes. I have a punch and die set that is intended to make bolt heads. As you can see, I used this to make the bolts on the backpack and thought the look of the plastic with hexagonal holes looked really cool, so I went with that!

dEoFiG2.jpg?1

FZDPjXv.jpg?1

YBHkQCD.jpg?1

I added a photo-etched grill behind it all to add some finer detail, and then I glued it in place and closed up the gaps:

US7ZxK4.jpg?1

I wanted to add some details on the other side too, specifically the part directly behind his head as it will inevitably draw the eye - 

FLaLPYX.jpg?1

6P3ItLl.jpg?1

I'm going to continue to add bits, but the backpack's main stuff is all done, for now....

Thanks for looking!

~Replica

I love it! The chainsword upgrade was needed. Its good how you added some details to the backpack. I do find it funny seeing the hexnuts. Because even though a suit of power armor connected to a marines nervous system is highly advanced technology they still do have tons of examples of this type mixed era engineering. Totally 40k. Most of the mechanicus are like a bunch of cyborgs who follow IKEA instructions

I love it! The chainsword upgrade was needed. Its good how you added some details to the backpack. I do find it funny seeing the hexnuts. Because even though a suit of power armor connected to a marines nervous system is highly advanced technology they still do have tons of examples of this type mixed era engineering. Totally 40k. Most of the mechanicus are like a bunch of cyborgs who follow IKEA instructions

Thanks Debauchery, much appreciated! I love the aesthetic of mixing older and sci-fi tech. I find the adding of familiar details like that (and the screw heads I've just added to some parts) because it makes it a little more "believable" ... well to me anyway!

Originally, I had decided not to do anything to the shoulder pads, and just paint on inscriptions and detailing. My thinking was that since Primaris are new to the Imperium (and the BA's especially) he wouldn’t have had time to embellish his armour yet. Then it occurred to me that if he were a Firstborn, who had then been turned Primaris, then he would insist on having every last one of his decorations restored before setting foot on a battlefield!

To this end, I thought it might be cool at this scale to try to convey a little more 'function' to the shoulder pad extensions (they likely have a name, but I don’t know what it is!) -

I added the vertical extension, then smoothed that out before adding the braces -

e7SkvVg.jpg?1

I then drilled a few mm into the areas between the braces, and added some tiny photo etch screw heads. I also cut a thin notch out at each side of the extension, my idea is that these are modular and can be swapped out with different decorative, or up-armoured parts quickly.

jLg99iQ.jpg?1

Oh, I also made a blood drop icon for one of the pads. Its sanded angular to look like a cut jewel, but won’t really look like much until paint time!

Thanks for looking!

~ Replica