Fists 5th

Rhetoricus

I've been away for some time, but finally found my way back to the Phalanx. I was intending to wait until this squad was finished before posting but I can't help my self. My painting has improved a fair bit since I last posted on here and I am really excited to share with you all what I'm working on currently.

First squad member yet to be named.

gallery_67182_16773_49469.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome back, Rhetoricus! Good to see you among us once more. Hopefully you'll find the time to join the 7th iteration of the Imperial Fists/Sons of Dorn Expansion. :smile.:

With regards to your models, you've done a terrific job so far. Very clean and you've nailed the yellow. What are your plans for your version of the 5th Company? Any specific models or units you're keen to paint?

Thanks Dosjetka it's good to be back. The force is going to be very flexible so you can expect to see all sorts appearing in this thread over the coming months. Based around a core of Intercessors, but I'm planning on adding Heavy and Assault Intercessors, as well as some Bladeguard. I'll also be adding a Redemptor and an Executioner and a whole bucket load of Command/Characters. Whilst I quite like the look of the Phobos units, they don't really seem very Fisty to me so I'll be leaving them out for now. Once I've gotten through that lot I'll be looking to add some Hammerfall Bunkers and Thunderstrike Turrets.

And the thing I'm most looking forward to adding are the Space Hulk terminators I originally painted last time I was active here, as part of the First Company force I was working on (in sig). They are all freshly stripped and ready to go.

I'd be very happy to join the latest expansion, but its been many years since I last joined one you'll have to jog my memory, how do I go about it?

Crix

You really are too kind. The only time I ever belong in the same sentence as Darren Latham is if you're asking me who one of my favourite artists is. The man operates on a completely different level and makes my models look like they've been dipped in a tin of Dulux.

I did take my basic instruction from Mr Latham, but modified it ever so slightly.

As requested here is my yellow recipe.

Primed with Wraithbone (rattlecan)

Basecoat = 50/50 mix of Averland Sunset and Yriel Yellow.

First shade down = Averland Sunset (Exactly the same as in Darren's Video)

Second shade down = 70/30 Averland Sunset/Scrag Brown (Exactly the same as in Darren's video)

Third Shade = Pure Scrag brown.

Next I move onto panel lining.

Here I use Guilliman Flesh/Contrast Medium 50/50

The contrast medium means that you may need to make a couple of passes to achieve a deep enough shade but it really does help the paint flow into the recesses and makes any tidying up you have to do later a lot easier as any overpainted 'staining' is a lot less severe.

Repeat this process for the deepest panel lines with Gor Grunta Fur.

Then go round and tidy up the model with the 50/50 Averland/Yriel mix.

Highlights.

Broad highlights with thin glazes of pure Yriel Yellow.

Edge highlights with Dorn yellow.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions.

Edited by Rhetoricus