Basing inspiration please.

Reskin

Hey guys, wasn't sure if this is the right place or not, or if there's already a thread that I couldn't see.

I'm looking to start a new project/army and I've trawled a few painting blogs on the site, and instagram for basing ideas.

But I'm hoping to get a more confined collection of ideas here. So, I ask a simple favour, post a pic here of a model that shows off the fantastic basing scheme you've come up with. With perhaps a quick description of the items you've used.

So far, I've based all my Grey Knights with Armageddon dust. So its a desert looking vibe with dead grass tuffs. I'm wanting something completely different. But feel free to post anything nonetheless. 

Dude, that's super before my time, it looks so retro though! hahaha. Cheers so much!

How does it look on the new table top mats? Considering even the 6tile GW tables they used to sell were usually desert themed. And given that most of the terrain is city scape?

Edited by Reskin

When I started playing it was mostly on green tables with hills and woods (just the odd ruin) so it looked just fine. If you have a gaming table you use frequently then it is worth trying to match that as it looks cool. Here is something a little more industrial.

med_gallery_82363_15236_381155.jpg

I do a different basing scheme for each force typically, ideally something that contrasts and compliments the colour scheme.

There's a few examples on my Instagram, and I'll hopefully be adding more soon Instagram.com/Rikk1980

Rik

Edit: forgot to put this in http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forum/170-bases-and-terrain-tutorials/

Plaguebear in the cacky mud.

rY8VSWjm.jpg

Plaguebearer in the warpy mud

86cja4Nm.jpg?1

My generic grey bases.

4LeGYaMm.jpg

The generic bases are a thin layer of crackle paste (Golden brand) on the base, primed and then painted+drybrushed. The mud bases are heavy gel acrylic medium. The cacky mud was the medium mixed with liquitex acrylic paint while the warpy mud was the medium mixed with purple ink.

Edited by jaxom

I'm quite partial to using dying Iron Hands as basing material:

ejV2Bvc.jpg

However, if you're looking for something a bit simpler; a minimalist marble/stone base with some rubble added is good way to jazz things up without going over board:

p2uguvP.jpg

-Ran

Holy crap Ran, not just the base, but the 1st model is outstanding, the base really does add to the scene of the model though. It compliments the character.

Is that lunar wolves Abaddon?

But describe the base for me? Other then the dying Iron Hands marine, who I'm also impartial to see dying, they've had their time in the spotlight. :P

Is that lunar wolves Abaddon?

Nope, just a Praetor conversion for my SoH. (BaC plastic Praetor base mini with bits/GS)

But describe the base for me? Other then the dying Iron Hands marine, who I'm also impartial to see dying, they've had their time in the spotlight. :tongue.:

So the (base) base is a 50mm resin one from the Halodyne range, sold by Micro Art Studios. 

The statue head at the front of the base is from Basing Kit #1, sold by Scibor.

To cover joins/awkward spaces I used Greenstuff and then added sand/ballast which was painted up as mud/dirt.

EDIT: The same style of resin base (32mm) that I painted in a different theme: Test mini for 30K VI Legion

-Ran 

Edited by Ranulf

That actually looks really amazing, it looks so real in a sense, combining that with some foliage and you'd have a real scenic base. I might try some of that out.

I always think that knowing what's going on the base helps. So the colour of the models, their background and so on.

To illustrate what I'm on about I use a tile-effect in an off-white bone colour to go with my word bearers. The base colour is neutral, bit warm so it complements the models without distracting from them. Even on a bigger scale.

gallery_62155_11151_282913.jpg

As you can see in the above I also add other details like victims and so on but use a neutral greys and cold blues to avoid clashing or overpowering the overall effect.

So instead of looking for ideas answer the questions about your army first: who are they? Where are they? Why are they there? By the time you've answered that you should solve the problem.

Firstly, that's a superb looking model, and secondly, that's a superb looking base, how's it play with the weird base size with the columns?

I guess if enough people post in this thread, it could turn into a resource of sorts. For Ideas for basing, for anyone really.

But, I haven't locked anything in as of yet and invested coin, so the second army is at the moment, truly undecided. I have ideas, but manifesting those ideas takes time.

I really just want to form a complete picture of the finished product my head before I commit and know what I'm going to do.

I don't want to invest time and money into something to only quit half through the project.

I've got a few bases that might be worth looking at on my own Instagram page, my link should be in my signature. 

I mostly paint wasteland bases but I have made the odd forest/jungle base including one for my Lizardman on Carnosaur and Drycha Hamadreth for AoS.

IMG 20201015 142036

W1

IMG 20200902 074051

IMG 20190227 103202

DSC 0251

DSC 0287

Hopefully even though these are mainly desert bases the assorted rust and detritus liven them up a bit.

Firstly, that's a superb looking model, and secondly, that's a superb looking base, how's it play with the weird base size with the columns?

Thanks, I have no idea how it plays as it's never seen the tabletop, I built it for rule of cool more than anything else which is why I always roll my eyes when I read discussions of what is the "correct" base size. I'm just not interested in splitting that many hairs while I play games.

Dude Takatus, they are some fantastically crafted bases, make the mini come alive!

Thank you. I like to imagine my bases are the wasteland around the abandoned areas of my Forge World. I try to create a mixture of battlefield wreckage and leftover factory detail, some partially looted by the invading Orks. As you can see, having a story behind where and why your army is fighting makes it easier to build a theme on your bases.

I don't know if it counts for much (or if you can get them where you are), but I recently discovered these: https://www.geekgaming.co.uk/collections/base-ready-range

I have one of the Grimdark City Rubbles on the way to try out, but at face value they don't look too bad at all. Add and paint any larger bits first (large rocks, fallen debris etc), add this stuff, call it done!

Don't know if you're still looking for basing ideas, but I use various resin bits you can find around the web to base my sisters.

Still looking my dude! so far all of them have been fabulous, its not actually helping! as I cant decide which to take inspiration from! there's too many to choose from ahahah!

Keep posting though, perhaps this turns into something everyone can use.

I found Agrellan earth and the coarse version to be easy and effective as basing. Combine with tufts as you like.

gallery_58096_15293_836787.jpg

WWhat a fantastic model, the base is quite simple, yet elegant. Fantastic!

I use an anonymous broken rocky soil for the majority of my bases:

The scheme is:
_1 Texture the base with Golden Acrylic coarse pumice gel.
_2 Paint the base the Dryad Bark (or any other dark brown).
_3 Drybrush with Calth Brown (I intentionally stocked up on this wonderful paint when it was deleted alongside the other fantastic Foundations; you could use any midtone brown).
_4 Drybrush with a mix of Calth Brown and white.
_5 Paint the rims Dryad Bark.

It's neutral enough to work with pretty much any scheme:
h.jpg

IMG_7757.jpg

You can jazz it up very quickly with static grass and/or flock tufts:
s.jpg

...or vary the browns you use to get different results:
ap.jpg

I've also written a tutorial on ice bases, if it's of use?

IMG_0038.JPG