Did my swiftclaws just become Outriders other things?

sturguard

Hey folks,

So I purchased the SW supplement yesterday-

I did not see a unit entry for Swiftclaws- please tell me GW didnt accidently forget to include some units and will be putting out a pdf we can download? If so, I guess thats an easy switch to just call them outriders- Im not worried that outriders are a bit bigger, and Im sure the folks I play with dont care either.

Also, I noticed in the terminator entry there is no point cost for storm shield?

What errors have been identified with the new supplement, I am sure I am missing some, its pretty much a given GW doesnt proof read with near 100 percent accuracy.

Thanks!

Space Marine Bikers get the "Swiftclaw" Key Word and can get Sergeant (i.e Pack Leader), 2-14 Swiftclaws, and 0-1 Swiftclaw Attack Bikes if they are part of the Space Wolf, or Successor, Chapter (see Codex: Space Marines, page 166)

(1) I did not see a unit entry for Swiftclaws- please tell me GW didnt accidently forget to include some units and will be putting out a pdf we can download? If so, I guess thats an easy switch to just call them outriders- Im not worried that outriders are a bit bigger, and Im sure the folks I play with dont care either.

(2) Also, I noticed in the terminator entry there is no point cost for storm shield?

(3) What errors have been identified with the new supplement, I am sure I am missing some, its pretty much a given GW doesnt proof read with near 100 percent accuracy.

(1) As L30n1d4s says, Swiftclaws are normal Bikers, but they gain the Swiftclaw keyword, a slightly increased squad size, and - assuming you are playing Space Wolves, or Successors using Inheritors of the Primarch, then they also gain Berserk Charge and Headstrong.

(2) If a points cost isn't listed, then it's 'free'. Basically, a costless upgrade is already factored into the unit's cost (eg, a Terminator pays 5pts for a Power Fist, but no points for a Lightning Claw; so a Terminator with two Lightning Claws costs 33pts, and one with a Storm Bolter/Power Fist costs 38pts)

(3) These aren't errors, they are just some significant changes to how the rules are presented, which some people find confusing/don't take the time to actually read/examine the changes.

• 2 weeks later...

(1) I did not see a unit entry for Swiftclaws- please tell me GW didnt accidently forget to include some units and will be putting out a pdf we can download? If so, I guess thats an easy switch to just call them outriders- Im not worried that outriders are a bit bigger, and Im sure the folks I play with dont care either.

(2) Also, I noticed in the terminator entry there is no point cost for storm shield?

(3) What errors have been identified with the new supplement, I am sure I am missing some, its pretty much a given GW doesnt proof read with near 100 percent accuracy.

(1) As L30n1d4s says, Swiftclaws are normal Bikers, but they gain the Swiftclaw keyword, a slightly increased squad size, and - assuming you are playing Space Wolves, or Successors using Inheritors of the Primarch, then they also gain Berserk Charge and Headstrong.

(2) If a points cost isn't listed, then it's 'free'. Basically, a costless upgrade is already factored into the unit's cost (eg, a Terminator pays 5pts for a Power Fist, but no points for a Lightning Claw; so a Terminator with two Lightning Claws costs 33pts, and one with a Storm Bolter/Power Fist costs 38pts)

(3) These aren't errors, they are just some significant changes to how the rules are presented, which some people find confusing/don't take the time to actually read/examine the changes.

I'm not finding where they get beserk and headstrong. Just says they get the swiftclaw keyword and increased size. Can someone point me to where it discusses the swiftclaw keyword?

I'm not finding where they get beserk and headstrong. Just says they get the swiftclaw keyword and increased size. Can someone point me to where it discusses the swiftclaw keyword?

You want the "Detachment Rules" section of the supplement, just before the Datasheets

Right found it after I posted. Thanks!  leads me down my original thought of just including it all in one book. bike section points to swiftclaws which you have to read in the supplement. oh well. at least I know. 

Do we think the omission of taking a wolf guard was a mistake or design? Can't mitigate headstrong on bikers. 

Edited by Lord Ragnarok

Right found it after I posted. Thanks!  leads me down my original thought of just including it all in one book. bike section points to swiftclaws which you have to read in the supplement. oh well. at least I know. 

Do we think the omission of taking a wolf guard was a mistake or design? Can't mitigate headstrong on bikers. 

Casualty of condensing Space Marines into one codex + supplements instead of five codexes + supplements. It's not a huge loss, honestly, since Firstborn bikers are best used as Special Weapons teams (2 Special Weapons+Combi-weapon Sergeant) now*. Outriders and TWC will serve you better if you want an Assault unit in Fast Attack.

*Remember, Headstrong no longer forces you to charge, it just dictates your target if you do charge. So not having a Wolf Guard Pack Leader doesn't matter if your bikers are never going to charge.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, losing options always sucks, especially when you've spent time building and painting models around those rules, but if that option was going to end up sitting on a shelf anyway if it were added, it stings a little less, at least in my opinion.

Edited by Squark

I think Swiftclaws definitely have a place, and that's being an all rounder. You'll pay for the toys, but Bikes are super sturdy for their points.

3 bikers, TH sgt, and a MM Attack Bike is a 160pt squad with 13 T5 wounds. You get a great all rounder unit that's fast and tough to remove.

Outriders clear chaff better, Thunderwolves are tougher, Attack Bikes kill heavies better. But a non dedicated choice like Bikes can have merit if that's in your playstyle.