Some 40k Positivity

Rik Lightstar

I like that with some of their studio models, they are doing more with them, more out of the box instead of stock.

For instance, they used the RW/DA upgrade sprue to spice up the studio Deathwing Repulsor Executioner as can be seen in Codex: Space Marines. Would like to see more of that.

Their paint style is much improved as well. The reintroduction of some weathering in the 9E+ paint jobs looks much better than the previous, too clean style.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I really like how recent White Dwarfs (Dwarves?) all seem to have some conversion, kit-bash or even unearthing of ancient models. The side of the hobby I love is exploring the universe this way, and it’s a double bonus when the whole White Dwarf doesn’t read like an extended advert for the latest release.

(Did you see those Confrontation models!? God I am so old, but made me quite misty-eyed. I actually played that game.)

While Dwarves is normally the correct pluralization, GW goes with "Dwarfs" :yes:

Honestly, I love how they're updating models. Yes, it goes away from 'customization', but let's be honest here: For the average frater, the full separation between torso/legs could often result in some terrible posting. I know it did for me. :laugh.:

Then again, I'm a new lad. I got into 40k at the very end of 7th Edition (Traitor Legions was the newest book when I joined, then Shadow War: Armageddon came out right after I decided to do Khorne Daemonkin....) so I'm not as experienced with being upset and complaining about GW.... But I've already started to learn since I started playing Dark Angels :laugh.:

For me, this has been my most productive year (hobbywise) to date, I actually think I've painted more since March than I have in the previous 2 years combined. Not only have I been more productive but I've reignited my motivation and enjoyment of the hobby that had been dwindling for quite a while. I was slowly getting more and more perfectionist which was lessening the enjoyment and relaxation I was getting out of the hobby.

Crusade also ticks a lot of boxes for me as does 9th edition, I love the way it plays now as a tactical choice rather than smash toys

Same here frater. I've painted more this year than previous years... Being unable to play games has allowed me to get through a bunch of my backlog. Still not enough though as I've got a bunch unpainted to do :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

I think GW are still making mostly great choices with minis, and the core rules are feeling solid. No sure about the more predatory stuff theyve been up to with the rest of the rules though.

Forgeworld is continuing to lag behind hard but when they do good its GREAT.

Black library is crushing it frankly, though im reading/listening to a right mix of stuff.

White dwarf is pretty consistently awesome too :) 

So much happier with how much further this version of Necromunda is going than the last- every gang is getting a second wave!

We have Enforcers, which also had two waves and we have Corpse Grinders (which make awesome Cultists for Khorne armies).

Not only that, the Forgeworld Necromunda... Damn. Just. So. Good!

Great idea for a thread - this kind of hobby positivity is very much what originally drew me to this forum.

I've been moving away from the "big" games for a couple of years and have mostly been focusing on terrain (just because I enjoy it and because I've been hopin we would use it for skirmish/"roleplayish" campaigns.

Lately, we've been starting up a Necromunda campaign and everybody seems pretty fired up about it (we've actually been getting game nights in every week for over a month, which is a new record for us - especially now that we've got "grown up schedules" to consider). So that's got me pretty ecstatic about the hobby again :)

It's fantastic to see all these responses.

I'm really looking forward to being able to get some games in again, it's unlikely to happen this side of Christmas and by then I'll have more options for my Crusade force than Requisition Points to get them with.

Rik

there are so much points I really like now:

at first of all... the new codex + armybuild system gives us armies how they should be.

I mean 1 priest + 1 captain ,3 tactical squads, a terminator squad, 2 dreadknoughts, and a bike squad used to be a fluffy list which had no chance to win a few years ago. Now they are strong but not OP and lists like in 7th edition or 8th edition ( 3x scouts + 3 Captains / Eldar + Daemons +X) are not seen anymore. Thats exactly what I want.

then contrast paints

all old units slowly getting plastic kitz

tournament support

and very important for me: Black Templars seem not to be ignored by GW this edition.

Edited by Medjugorje

See for me, especially as I grew older and became a husband and father, my perspective on many things has... evolved? This has always been a source of joy. Pure joy. Anyone, be it a player or an aspect of said hobby, that takes away from that joy was excised immediately. Like most things, if the same thing is still bothering you and it’s years later... the problem might be you.

This crazy year taught me one thing. Grab what you love and hold on because some part of it might not be here next year. It will never be perfect. But it is ours for the time being.

Edited by eternal_warrior12

the problem is that I am a competitive player and then the gameplay is very important for me (maybe the most important). If the army changes are too far then there is a thing i will miss. So that argument doesnt count for myelf.

But like I said.... this edition is great in many aspects and I think that this will be the best edition until now.

This crazy year taught me one thing. Grab what you love and hold on because some part of it might not be here next year. It will never be perfect. But it is ours for the time being.

Funny you say that, my wife and I lost a baby this year, and it puts somethings into perspective.

And you are absolutely right, I personally dwelt on the negative side of things, and it's really just wasting time in the end.

You gotta pick yourself up by your bootstraps and carry on, focus on the positive things, no matter how small, and enjoy them. If you cant change it, well change your perspective on it, and just enjoy the hobby for what it is, a hobby.

B&C is also an integral part of the hobby, and that's another positive to add to this list. You lot unbeknownst, with your passion for the hobby, helped me greatly.

So cheers lads and carry on :)

there are so much points I really like now:

at first of all... the new codex + armybuild system gives us armies how they should be.

I mean 1 priest + 1 captain ,3 tactical squads, a terminator squad, 2 dreadknoughts, and a bike squad used to be a fluffy list which had no chance to win a few years ago. Now they are strong but not OP and lists like in 7th edition or 8th edition ( 3x scouts + 3 Captains / Eldar + Daemons +X) are not seen anymore. Thats exactly what I want

Plus one to this