Tournaments and Terminator Base Size Confusion

There are loads of blogs and message board topics out there about base size in 9th, but I’ve run into this issue:

Should I be rebasing terminators (which are back with a vengeance in 9th) on 50mm bases instead of the original 40mm ones? Frontline Gaming recently released a guide to basing for their huge, upcoming Las Vegas Open tournament—it’s incomplete right now, so no Adeptus astartes, but the Adeptus custodes guide states that aquilon terminators *must* go on 50mm bases to be legal at the event. I’m guessing this isn’t the only tournament that requires this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A31mVI4s1cSlXNQuxmZXQZt4dkxPIcVe/view

To ask the question more broadly: how many of you out there who play in tournaments are doing 50mm bases for regular space marine terminators?

Follow-up question: I use the sector Mechanicus 40mm bases for my terminators... any advice on where to get 50mm ones that are similar?

Those are Custodes Terminators, which are a totally different thing. They come on 40mm bases too though, so I'm not really sure why a tournament would force them onto 50mm ones.

The convention has always been that tournaments make you base your models on what they're currently sold with. This has caused people to have to rebase marines and orks onto 32mm bases in the past, and actually the orignal terminators from 25mm to 40mm when they went plastic (years and years ago).

For now I'd seriously recommend leaving your bases alone. It would be bizarre if everyone had to rebase their terminators and I haven't seen anything from TOs to say that, except for this one incident, and that might even be a typo.

The Aquilon Terminators are the Forgeworld units that come on 50 mm bases. The regular Allarus Custodians come on 40 mm bases and are included in the "All Infantry" on the spreadsheet. 

50 mm bases are the wrong size for terminators. Keep them on the 40 mm bases they come with. Nothing is saying they need changed. 

• 4 weeks later...

This thread reminded me I just found a dozen fully painted metal terminators on 25mm bases. I was thinking of running them locally as the Relic Terminators ;)

I agree with the posters above: 40mm *should* be the proper base size.

Terminators were 25mm until 2005. GW rule is: Base it came with or larger

I'm not saying either of those is untrue. I will say it doesn't make sense and that I would still approach the TO about it.

"I bought my Terminator kit used...and they came on 25mm base...so it's legal."

thats whats all my friends who use Berserkers and Genestealers quote. Those Genestealers can fit like 8 on most character bases when you turn their butts to the enemy

If I fielded 25mm Terminators I would absolutely make sure I was prepared for this scenario with some kind of base adapter or removable 40mm bases to put them on. Especially in a less casual environment like at a tournament. Old models used to be cool and would usually fly but with the recent edition, there is a big shift towards updating and maintaining a more strict and comprehensive ruleset which includes base sizes.