Deploying while opponent is deploying.

McElMcNinja

To clarify, I don't think the practice itself falls into the category of cheating. It's specifically the way the OP was doing it that makes it so. 

If, for example, the OP were to place his 20 poxwalkers while his opponent is deploying a unit (opponent's clock running), and then deploying another unit of 20 poxwalkers while his own clock is running, then his opponent would have the opportunity to place a unit of his own while the OPs clock is running. 

If both players have equal opportunity to do that, then it is fair. 

Placing a large unit while your opponent is deploying on his clock and then a single model on your own clock is cheating, because it denies your opponent the chance to do the same thing as you. 

And to be clear, it's only "cheating" when there is a tangible advantage gained by the player using this method (or disadvantage suffered by the other player). So in a situation where deployment time is structured and this method bypasses that structure, the "cheating" description might be applied. In a situation where deployment time isn't structured, however, it might be looked upon purely as a time-saving method, and in that, it might even be considered good sportsmanship (when there's no advantage/disadvantage and the end result is that there is more time for both players to actually play the game).

In theory, the unit that is being pre-deployed hasn't technically been deployed yet. Hopefully there is some way of clearly identifying this "status" for clarity. There are situations, either scenario rules or unit/army rules that affect where a unit, including an enemy unit, might be deployed. Since this pre-deployed unit hasn't technically been deployed yet, its presence on the board shouldn't affect where an enemy unit might be placed; and the real risk here is that a canny opponent could screw up the pre-deployment effort by placing one of their units in such a position that the pre-deployed unit can't be placed in its present location, forcing it to be deployed in some other location (and essentially negating the time-saving intent of the method). In addition, the opponent can position units to avoid/deal with the pre-deployed unit more effectively.

The other portion of the OP's first post bears discussion, however: are there any other time-saving methods that players might employ (without "cheating")?

The other portion of the OP's first post bears discussion, however: are there any other time-saving methods that players might employ (without "cheating")?

Sometimes I'll pre-measure the movement of a unit during my opponent's Fight phase if the unit in question is unaffected by what's happening. Measure where I want the unit to go and place a die at the spot to remind me where it's going. Then during my movement phase it's as simple as moving the unit to the spot I previously marked. 

Sometimes I'll pre-measure the movement of a unit during my opponent's Fight phase if the unit in question is unaffected by what's happening. Measure where I want the unit to go and place a die at the spot to remind me where it's going. Then during my movement phase it's as simple as moving the unit to the spot I previously marked. 

Unless you are not intending to do what it looks like you will do by doing this, I think that's tipping your hand a bit in intentions. That gives me more time to think about my next turn if I can already see what you will do that early. I would recommend just making a few other measurements to throw me off and not place any markers, using the old grey matter to remember instead the relevant pre-measures. You still save time + keep me in the dark that way.