Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Typhus Stats

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,942 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

New stats for Typhus:

lao7a2bpre161.jpg?width=1536&format=pjpg

+1M, +2A!

"All I wish to hear from your imperfect world is the silence of its dead."

Seahawk

Seahawk

++ OSSIFRAGUS PRAECURSORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 9,559 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Which sadly means getting nerfed to a 5+ inv save.

Lame.

Fluff: Naval Operations of Ultramar. Also includes all known named ships for all chapters, as well as ship sizes and assorted information.

Personal: The Renegade Hobbyist. This is where I do things! Also, follow me on Twitter at @Atomic_Hamsters.

Post link for all the instances in which Reanimation Protocols doesn't activate, but should. 

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,163 posts
  • Faction: Hexfleet Virules

Typhus, Blightlords, and Deathshroud getting nerfed from a 4++ to a 5++ is absolutely brutal and not at all worth the extra 1" movement. These are units that were already struggling to be really competitive. I'd often fail a stream of invul saves for multi-damage shots even with a 4++. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I'd almost rather stay at 4++ than get an extra wound sad.png

I am hoping Typhus has a 4++ from being a Chaos lord or something since otherwise it is just a straight major downgrade for him. 

Edit: I guess maybe they are trying to increase Typhus from 4 to 6 attacks to make up for it or something? Still won't help with him getting squished in melee much more easily now if he's really at a 5++.

And did he lose his pistol?

Of course add all this to the fact that probably he loses the ability to be affected by reroll to hits of 1 since he's not core :( 

Edited by Lagrath, 25 November 2020 - 04:44 PM.

• Bulwyf and Putrid Choir like this

quasistellar

quasistellar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 479 posts

Where are people seeing that Typhus might go to 5++?

The +2 attacks and +1 move is a pretty nice boost.

I noticed there's no stat line for The Destroyer Hive.  They must be switching it to an ability or a stratagem.  It was practically useless before, so hopefully whatever they do is a net buff.

Typhus was always extremely underwhelming for his price in 8th.

Lagrath

Lagrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,163 posts
  • Faction: Hexfleet Virules

Where are people seeing that Typhus might go to 5++?

The +2 attacks and +1 move is a pretty nice boost.

I noticed there's no stat line for The Destroyer Hive.  They must be switching it to an ability or a stratagem.  It was practically useless before, so hopefully whatever they do is a net buff.

Typhus was always extremely underwhelming for his price in 8th.

He's been really great in 9th Ed for me but that also had a lot to do with him having a 4++. He was the perfect combination of strong melee, great buffs (now that you could give him reroll 1s aura), psychic powers, and a high amount of survivability. 

He's moving to 5" movement which is what happened to the SM units in cataphractii armor that lost their 4++. 

BolterZorro

BolterZorro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 815 posts

Most Astartes HQ got the 4++ invul. I can't imagine the DG HQ loosing the 4++. But for the troops or infantry or what else... I suspect that GW will go where they told us: a new mecanism of resilience. Bye bye the FNP 5+. Something new. So, with the stat +1W, they have to rebalance everything. Wait ans see then...

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,210 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Most Astartes HQ got the 4++ invul. I can't imagine the DG HQ loosing the 4++. But for the troops or infantry or what else... I suspect that GW will go where they told us: a new mecanism of resilience. Bye bye the FNP 5+. Something new. So, with the stat +1W, they have to rebalance everything. Wait ans see then...

Loyalist Captains gain their 4++ saves from specific wargear items; Iron Halos for Captains and Rosarius for Chaplains.

Typhus etc got their 4++ from their Cataphractii armour, which offered a better invul than regular Terminator armour for a trade off of lower movement. The fact he's gained 1" movement suggests that the distinction of Cataphractii armour has been removed in the DG book exactly like it was in the loyalist Codex, and therefore he's now in normal Terminator armour with its inferior 5+ invuln.

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.pnggallery_84244_11417_4840.pnggallery_84244_11417_13317.jpg gallery_84244_11417_22884.png gallery_84244_16882_1051.png gallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg gallery_84244_11417_5562.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_1911.png

Hathor42

Hathor42

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 438 posts

chaos lords have sigil of corruption to get 4++

• Fulkes, Oxydo and quasistellar like this

The_Chaplain

The_Chaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,779 posts
  • Faction: Confessors
I doubt they'd change Typhus to a 5+ invuln. Hes a named character-- there would be a lot of community backlash over a move like that

gallery_29004_6198_9307.pnggallery_48988_6285_7306.pnggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_48988_6285_6092.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_2146.pngcatg2.pnggallery_45765_11565_4862.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_30308_9518_8389.pnggallery_74802_15827_10034.jpggallery_48988_15738_19809.pnggallery_30308_9518_8597.jpg

I've started a twitch channel, you can find it here !

Iron Sage

Iron Sage

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,510 posts

This makes me worry a lot for Blightlords. Typhus will undoubtedly get a +4 sigil of corruption, but this leads me to fear that Blightlords will be only +5 invul in the new codex, which truly damages their durability.

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,225 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

Relic terminators took the same hit so it’s only fair.

• Slave to Darkness and Reskin like this

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=

my 40k FB Page Terminus Est: https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Blood and Honor!

Deffrekka

Deffrekka

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 55 posts
  • Faction: Redemptors

I doubt they'd change Typhus to a 5+ invuln. Hes a named character-- there would be a lot of community backlash over a move like that

Not all named characters have a 4++, thats pretty much a Space Marine thing if they are a Captain or Chaplain. Belisarius Cawl, Lord of Mars, inventor of all things Primaris, only has a 5++ refractor field save. If DG Cataphractii goes to match the SM version then it is fair to say Typhus gets a 5++ unless he gains a sigil of corruption. 4++ 5+++ is pretty damn tough, and when a character is usually buried in a horde of Poxwalkers he isnt that much at harm. These instruction guides dont have special rules on so we dont know what other defenses Typhus has. He could have -1 damage, a wound pass off ability to Poxwalkers, anything. I doubt GW will nerf him into the ground when he wasnt that good anyway.

• Reskin likes this

++ We are coming... We are death... ++

Jings

Jings

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 387 posts

Relic terminators took the same hit so it’s only fair.

Aye, a niche unit compared to a Chapter Master-equivalent comparison is a fair comparison. 

Really hoping they haven't just decided to strip all Cataphractii-based rules from the Death Guard. 40K has become too Marine vs Marine as it is. Kinda blows my mind that they killed the Death Guard's niche as T5 FNP marines with Apothecaries and Heavy Intercessors and now their Terms are getting a nerf just in time for their third wound. 

Bet they lose FNP anaw. Can't be having those weirdos with spikes having anything better than the Loyalists can we?

• Gederas likes this

happyslugger

happyslugger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 587 posts
Starting to worry a little here lol.

Good job I have primaris BA, custodes and harlies to play, as if this is true it may mean my DG stay on the shelf for longer lol

Could just use 9th edition to clear my painting backlog though 🤣😂

Edited by happyslugger, 25 November 2020 - 08:24 PM.

8.jpg

Armies: Blood Angels; Death Guard, Nurgle Daemons, Chaos Knights, Custodes and Harlequins.

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,008 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I used Blight Lords a lot but to be honest the 4+ invulnerable save never sat well with me, just seemed like a lame fuge more than a thematic thing since invulnerable saves normally being dodge/force field things.

Deathshroud were useless at 4" move so that's probably part of why they're rethinking things.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 25 November 2020 - 09:03 PM.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,151 posts

I used Blight Lords a lot but to be honest the 4+ invulnerable save never sat well with me, just seemed like a lame fuge more than a thematic thing since invulnerable saves normally being dodge/force field things.

Deathshroud were useless at 4" move so that's probably part of why they're rethinking things.

The 4+ invulnerable was due to a force field. That's why all Cataphractii had it, not just Blightlords/Deathshroud.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,942 posts

Yeah, not sure how Cataphractii conferring a 4++ (while also imposing crippling movement penalties) can be construed as gamey or lame. Seems super DG-ish to me. And I'm also not convinced that Deathshroud going from 4" to 5" is will make any real difference to their effectiveness, given that it's still going to be a "make the charge when they deepstrike or sit around looking cool and doing nothing" sort of deal without outside help.

With so much potentially changing in this book though I'm not worried yet. Just looking forward to getting my book, and hoping that the Charadon supplement doesn't come across as a shameless cashgrab

• Iron Sage and Putrid Choir like this

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,008 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

The 4+ invulnerable was due to a force field. That's why all Cataphractii had it, not just Blightlords/Deathshroud.

Extra force fields don't slow anything else down so cataphracti being more than just extra heavy doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 18,177 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Blightlords might lose the 4++ but I doubt Typhus will.
  • quasistellar likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,942 posts

Extra force fields don't slow anything else down so cataphracti being more than just extra heavy doesn't make a lot of sense.

Cataphractii armour isn't just an Indomitus suit with an Iron Halo bolted on the back though:

One of the first issued Tactical Dreadnought armour patterns, the Cataphractii suits were even more heavily protected then their contemporaries, with slab-like ceramite pauldrons housing additional shield generators. This design has the unfortunate side effect of overstraining the armour's exoskeleton and slowing the wearer dangerously. This difference led to the pattern's declining use with some Legions at the outbreak of the Heresy.

• Reskin likes this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,225 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
4++ 5+++ 2+ armor save with T5 3W would be OP.

Edited by Black Blow Fly, 26 November 2020 - 02:00 AM.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=

my 40k FB Page Terminus Est: https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Blood and Honor!

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,946 posts

Right nobody consider that terminators are getting a spicy 3W in their profile and that increase their survivability more than the decrement of their invulnerabile save
Also the increase in movement is better than what it seems
And dono forget the extended range on flamer-like weapons that give the Deathshroud the chance to harm an enemy unit in the turn they Deepstrike

IMHO DG may have just 5++ now but all the other bonuses they get makes them better than in 8th edition
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Jings

Jings

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 387 posts

Right nobody consider that terminators are getting a spicy 3W in their profile and that increase their survivability more than the decrement of their invulnerabile save
Also the increase in movement is better than what it seems
And dono forget the extended range on flamer-like weapons that give the Deathshroud the chance to harm an enemy unit in the turn they Deepstrike

IMHO DG may have just 5++ now but all the other bonuses they get makes them better than in 8th edition

Everyone's considering that - that's why it's a sting. 4++ down to 5++ in exchange for a wound is much less of a defensive bump than just getting a wound. 

I think it's more confusing that people think this isn't that big a deal, or even celebrating no "OP def gard". It's ridiculous. Dark Angels Terminators with a Banner are rocking 3W,T4 with in-built THP, a 5++, and a 5+++ on top of that, with the option of being 1+/4++/5+++ with options. They're, at worst, the equivalent of the DG's T5/4++ if not outright stronger and aren't breaking the game. They're a powerful option to be sure, but they haven't destroyed the meta. 

Death Guard terms keeping their 4++ would by no means be OP so long a they're appropriately priced (3-7 pts above regular terms sounds about right), especially with the -1 to Movement, and I really hope GW haven't taken it out. 

Edited by Jings, 26 November 2020 - 04:53 AM.

• Iron Sage and Putrid Choir like this

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,190 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
Loss of the 4+ will suck but as long as DR is still the same and not changed like all the fear mongering rumors are claiming I won't mind,
Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,151 posts

With all due respect, I don't understand your point. You were saying that cataphractii having a 4+ invulnerable didn't sit well with you because you felt invulnerables were for force fields and the agility to dodge. I pointed out that cataphractii do have force fields. That's not me making stuff up, it's part of the lore behind the armour. So the lore alleviates the issue you had with the lack of force fields. 

• Black Blow Fly and Plaguecaster like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users