Ultramarine players and Gladiators

Prot

None of the new vehicles actually have the Primaris key word, including the Redemptor, so there's no reason to stop Chronus getting the chance to drive any vehicle really.

I think the main problem with the Gladiator is expense for an edition which kills vehicles quick. If more Codex books come out with a focus on lots of infantry, however, this could change. Folk will take less melta and thus large numbers of vehicles in a list will stand a chance.

Excellent spot with Chronus, Captain.

I'd planned to get one purely because of how good it looks, but being able to pop in Chronus definitely makes them more interesting to me.

On the whole (with the exception of Chronus) I'm not convinced that Ultra's benefit from tanks in general. We seem to be designed as more of an Infantry orientated army.

I'm slightly surprised and extremely delighted that Chronus isn't an Iron Hands character, he seems to suit them more. 

I was messing around with BattleScribe to develop an armor heavy armor and wow tanks eat up a lot of points. Sure hope Chronus crosses the Rubicon !

Me too. I have to ask you what your doing with DevCents. Mine still have 'bare arms' as I keep flipping between Grav (Seal of Oath), Heavy Bolters, and even dual las for heavy lifting. Not to mention the chest weapons.

I keep trying to make vehicle heavy lists, even including the transports just to make better target saturation. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea. I noticed at my online GW store, the Battalions all sold out, but the tanks are in plenty of supply which tells me a lot of players just don't see the merit overall. 

Good catch on Chronus but it does make me wonder if it's by accident as he may have slipped under their radar. (We know GW don't like non-Primaris in new vehicles, period.)

My build for devcents is as follows:

sergeant - twin lascannon, hurricane bolter

2x cent - grav cannons & hurricane bolters

Great for clearing chaff & and taking down big nasties as well. They can be hard to shift as well... they are still a work horse even if GeeDub don’t like them anymore lolz.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all, 

I've bought two of these for Xmas presents, (along with a shed load of other stuff) so im not yet allowed to handle them or even shake the box or poke the wrapping. ;-(

My intention is to magnetize them so i can run all variants, really you just swap out the guns and hey presto its one or the other. 

I did consider whether they would work well in a UM force and i considered whether they are points effective. 

Now that they don't suffer the penalty to move and shoot this is great, we can also Fall Back and shoot at a penalty, you can use the strat to add inches onto a charge so with some careful measuring from your enemy to you unit you could place it within tantalizing reach from someone hoping to shut you down or neuter your firepower but then whip out the strat making it a much less likely charge and then get another round of shooting in. 

We can redeploy 3 units using out strat so placing them behind obscuring terrain when deploying to go second then reposition them right at the front and charge them up the field to get into range and rip into their obsec units. 

You can run them up in a line so if the front one gets popped or tagged you can move that one out the way and then open up with the rear one hitting on 3+ 

Support them with a techmarine using the strat to give them 2+BS

There is also a thought whether you should run one up and advance it into the enemy lines and then auto explode with with revenge of the machine spirit to do some wounds to key units. Its a lot of points to lose but it will absorb a lot of fire power to pop and potentially spare some of your other units some firepower as it needs to be dealt with. 

And also i think hover tank are so cool and everyone needs at least one on their shelf. They look so much better in blue. 

xommel, congrats on your gift!

I am personally still unable to see these fitting into my more competitive games (which is probably 90% of my games). 

As of now I'm trying to get a refund on my tanks. It's not like I have a lot of disposable income and I think I ordered these in the first 5 minutes they showed up on the GW website. They still haven't shipped. So I'm going to try to reclaim the money and wait until they inevitably improve the rules.

My test games using the Repuslors (both variants) have still made me feel this will be a bottom feeder list design. Great looking models, just too many negatives for me right now. I give it a good 90 days or so and they will fix these up in some manner.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem with the Gladiators is, imo, aside from the Lancer, you can spend 30-40 points and get a Land Raider that does the exact same job, but on a tougher platform.

Gladiator Valiant? At 250 points it's only 35 less than standard Land Raider, which is far tougher and delivers 4 D6 damage shots at twice the range. Reaper? A  Land Raider Crusader does the same job except far tougher.

The Lancer is the only one where the points difference for a Land Raider is a major issue, as at 200 points the default Land Raider also does the "long range anti-tank" with two twin-Lascannons, but it's almost 100 points more expensive (and you'd want a Land Raider closer because of it's toughness)