"Female Adventurer Jayne" from 1987

Captain Mike

Sometimes, you just gotta snag something on eBay.

Back in the heady days of Rogue Trader, and half a decade before I was even born, Citadel were experimenting with that people wanted. They produced a few models of women, such as Jayne and her sister in arms Gabs, but they and other female models didn't sell as well. This led to most female models getting canned or pushed back and back until they were forgotten. This in turn led to the male dominated lines we see throughout the 90s, 00s, and really into today (with some progress made, and a lot of 3rd party demand!). It also possibly / partly led to the controversial status of Space Marines as "all male" because of "male tissue" reasons, an explanation that has been dropped from some recent publications but is still kept to by a lot of people. And you know, the official line is all male so we can assume Games Workshop still put stock in it.

[source: https://spikeybits.com/2020/10/ex-gw-employee-weighs-in-on-female-space-marines-in-40k.html]

That's why I just had to snap up Jayne. She's pretty historic. Had she and Gabs sold better, maybe Space Marines would have looked different in the 90s. Maybe Games Workshop would have not put in the "all male" idea or dropped it (I'm not quite clear on the timeline here). And maybe we wouldn't have to pay an extra £5-8 per squad to 3rd party retailers to get female heads for our Space Marines!

That's all speculative, of course. What is absolutely true is that I now own a model older than me. The base says 1987, and given these didn't get much of a run its probably made then too. Interestingly the base also says "sister", so perhaps she did feed into the Sisters of Battle line more, which saw a lot more success.

The model itself is pretty good for an '87 sculpt. She has high heels (another possible link to the Sisters of Battle) but although they're ridiculous in concept the execution is pretty subtle. The only disappointment is the lack of armour plating on her posterior, so let's hope no one shoots her there! Obviously it lacks a bit of the detail of modern sculpts but I actually like the simplicity.

Enough of me rambling, enjoy the model!

1Vof2Ar.jpg

b3P9Lt1.jpg

xJ81GIF.jpg

The paintjob is very nice. The sword looks a little bendy?

Also: Stobz, mithril: Y'all are old! :tongue.:

Seriously, this model is 7 years older than me :laugh.:

Yeah true...but we're sooo young at heart :wink:

* I knew there was something about stobz I liked... kinda like he had this sense of maturity about him and a wisdom not found in many...:laugh.:

Mithril

The paintjob is very nice. The sword looks a little bendy?

Also: Stobz, mithril: Y'all are old! :tongue.:

Seriously, this model is 7 years older than me :laugh.:

Yes the sword is a little bendy. I did straighten it a little, but there's actually physically more material on one side than the other.