Who would you pick to go primaris next?

emperorpants

So far we have Calgar and Tiggy who have gone primaris out of our named characters. Who would you pick next and why? I'd personally pick Sicarius. I think it would be cool to have him go primaris and tweak his rules to be a character hunter/duelist. Essentially have him be like a named chapter champion with a captain aura. That would fit him pretty well imo.

Sicarius was still firstborn in Dark Imperium, which is set at the end of the Indomitus Crusade, so I don't think he will cross the rubicon in the current edition.

I'd be happy to see Ventris (or any of the current company Captains) go Primaris, but suspect it will be one of the chaplains so they can be used with any UM army or unit.

Titus! A name i havn´t heared in more then a millennium! 2nd Ed 1st Captain iirc!

I believe Charybdis is referring to the protagonist of the Space Marine video game, Captain Titus of the Ultramarines 2nd company (game is set during an alt-canon because he's captain of the 2nd when Sicarius is supposed to be).

Titus is a cool thought. (ironically I've been replaying the old campaign!)

I'm going way out on a limb here, but I'd love to see somehow, someway that Aeonid Theil makes the transition from the beyond (somehow) to Primaris.

I think he would be the ultimate bridge between timelines and he is the quintessential, Ultramarine strategist from a line trooper perspective. 

Something new! Blimey it's painful how the plot of crossing the Rubicon has been used.

You have a point. It is kind of sad that as of right now, every single named Primaris Character in Codices is a Rubicon. The Tome Keepers (the White Dwarf chapter) are the only ones with non-Rubicon'd Primaris named characters (Chaplain Sephax and Epistolary Lykandos) that can be taken as Named Characters.

Titus is a cool thought. (ironically I've been replaying the old campaign!)

I'm going way out on a limb here, but I'd love to see somehow, someway that Aeonid Theil makes the transition from the beyond (somehow) to Primaris.

I think he would be the ultimate bridge between timelines and he is the quintessential, Ultramarine strategist from a line trooper perspective. 

... Isn't it implied that Aeonid Theil's specific gene-seed is carried by Sicarius, which is why Guilliman likes Sicarius so much?

Edited by Gederas

I love Aeonid Theil. He's a beast. But bringing him back from the dead, presumed, then turning him into GW's new Primaris over what he was... I think that will feel bad in the end.

My example is Calgar. He was what the Emperor made him. The epitome of the Emperor's chosen. He'd suffered losses and had injuries that would end the career of most frontline warriors. The Lord of Ultramar and Master of the Ultramarines.

Then Guilliman came back and put his world into turmoil. He'll forever be in the shadow of his gene sire no matter what. In the time Guilliman had returned alone, he had achieved more than anything Calgar had done in his entire career.

The Primaris returning further exacerbated his feeling of failure. A dark cloud was hanging over his heart and soul. How could he be relevant again? How could Calgar, once the greatest living hero of the Ultramarines now relegated to a support character, show an uncaring universe and himself that he was important again.

Then he becomes Primaris. He's no longer obsolete in his own eyes and now his self assured ego has returned. All the hard work of his personality is eroded into "now he's Primaris and great again."

Of course that's just my opinion. Doesn't mean I'm right. But I'm right to my preferences. ;)

I'm with Idaho on this.

Take the chance and create new legends, new stories, and new characters. I'm less confident that GW would do the backstory justice, but I'm far more interested in a new face than a restamped, recycled character.

I find creating the backstory and history of my own creations very fulfilling.

It in no way effects the tabletop performance of my little plastic soldiers, but it's very rewarding.

It's why fielding sub optimal units has never been a problem for me. The narrative of the engagement is enough to use the unit.

Edited by mel_danes

I'm with Idaho on this.

Take the chance and create new legends, new stories, and new characters. I'm less confident that GW would do the backstory justice, but I'm far more interested in a new face than a restamped, recycled character.

Yeah I could be on board with that, but I don't think it will happen.

Also, some old models need to be updated, and let's face it - they'll be Primaris when that happens.

I would love a new Sicarius and Cassius, both models are old, small and flawed. This same issue is repeated with characters across the chapters.

Anyways, back to topic - Chronus is still my pick as he is a very unique Astartes character.

Edited by Ishagu

Ishagu brings up a good point. Some models are old and dated and they would be arguably the ones to be updated.

• Tigurius was an obvious choice and the previous model was poor. The latest is a cracking pose and looks great.

• Calgar... this is where "old model need update" falls flat on its face. The Terminator model has a superior pose and looks way better than the current updated version. And did it need to be updated? Nope. There were older and inferior sculpts out there.

Now, I agree if a new model is going to be created (Dante is looking dated and look at Mephiston!) we can presume GW will only update to Primaris.

Therein lies the question whether a model SHOULD be updated or just killed off. When going to Primaris, the old model is dead anyway so it changes little but does more for the respect of the writers.

Important and iconic characters like Dante I can understand GW won't let disappear into he night, but do we really mind if Telion, Chronus or even Astorath die? They're not iconic and don't have he history of the likes of Tigurius.

These sorts of characters are ripe for replacement. I consider a 10th Captain as a replacement to Telion a prime example.

As for replacing Cassius, I think the model is pretty good and doesn't look as dated as many.