When did Wulfen first appear?

Indefragable

Hello cousins from Fenris,

2 questions:

1A.When did Wulfen first appear in the lore

1B.When was the first  meaningful appearance for them? (This is if the answer to 1A is a single sentence somewhere that counts as a technicality, but didn't really describe them or give them any meaningful flavor in any way). 

2. When did Wulfen first appear in the crunch/playable form for the game system?

Note: when I ask "first appear" I mean from a real world, customer/consumer perspective, not the in-universe experience of the setting. 

Edited by Indefragable

1A. The curse of the Wulfen was first mentioned in the 2nd edition version of Codex: Space Wolves (1994).

1B/2. The first meaningful appearance of the Wulfen was during 3rd edition. The 3rd edition version of Codex: Space Wolves (2000) allowed the Mark of the Wulfen as wargear, but it was limited to a single Wolf Guard model in a Space Wolves army. The Eye of Terror, also in 3rd edition (2003), provided for a Space Wolves 13th Company in which every model suffered from the curse of the Wulfen via a modified version of the Mark of the Wulfen rule.

It is really old fluff that goes back to the 1st edition Space Wolves list that first appeared in WD 156 circa 1992. This describes the ritual of "The Blooding" when Space Wolf Aspirants receive their first implants (including the Canis Helix) and are then dumped 1000 miles from the Fang and forced to make their way home on foot while undergoing the rapid and painful transformation into a Space Marine.

These first few days are the most critical. The aspirant must feed often. He has usually been left near a source of food such as an elk herd. Near mindless, he must hunt them down, eat their raw flesh and drink their blood. Some aspirants, unable to meet the challenge, perish. Some, whether due to some flaw in themselves or the geneseed, never get beyond this stage. They become mindless animals, with an animal's cunning. They continue to grow and hunger for flesh, eventually becoming Wulfen, the most feared monsters on Fenris, creatures that are hunted down by all sane men.

The first models were released during the "Eye of Terror" campaign circa 2003 (late 3rd edition). These were metal minis that were closer to Marine scale than the current version.

Space_Wolf_Wulfen_Pack-2.gif

The old Wulfen models are so cool. I wish they stayed closer to that look.

You can kitbash them to be close enough. Take Phobos or intercessors legs and torso, Wulfen arms and heads and mix in chaos marine backpacks and shoulder pads as desired.

The old lore had them looting chaos armor and weapons in the eye since they were cut off from supply for 10,000 years.

The old Wulfen models are so cool. I wish they stayed closer to that look.

You can kitbash them to be close enough. Take Phobos or intercessors legs and torso, Wulfen arms and heads and mix in chaos marine backpacks and shoulder pads as desired.

The old lore had them looting chaos armor and weapons in the eye since they were cut off from supply for 10,000 years.

I've still got the Eye of Terror codex, and 15 of those metal Wulfen.