Games Workshop 9th edition Dice Oddities

Helias_Tancred

What the heck is going on with GW's faction dice situation for 9th edition!?!?!?

In 8th GW made dice for all sorts of factions and most of them stuck around for a long time, SW, DA, BA, Custodes, DW, etc.

The new marine codex comes out and they release this really tiny spurt of Raven Guard, Iron Hands, and Imperial Fist dice sets. Like here on Monday, all gone on Tuesday never to be seen again!

Space Wolves 9th edition stuff launches and of course they get a new dice set. Its still for sale on the GW website. Space Wolves are, I thought, the best selling non-codex marine faction? Deathwatch gets a new dice set, and like the wolves, they are still for sale on the GW website too.

Fast forward to the Blood Angel release, they get a new dice set and they're sold out and not to be sold again? Back in 8th their set was around forever.

So what gives? I'd initially suggest that GW is only making faction dice in small productions and when they sell out they are gone for good? But Wolves and Deathwatch sets are still for sale online? Maybe the latter two factions just didn't sell well? 

Slightly puzzled.

Fast forward to the Blood Angel release, they get a new dice set and they're sold out and not to be sold again? Back in 8th their set was around forever.

The 8th ed BA dice were also a limited run. You may be misremembering. The BA dice were again, sold out almost immediately on the GW web page. I found some in a travelling man store a few months later and grabbed them. GW's dice sets for the last decade have always been limited edition collectors stuff - as per the above, Forge World now have a permanent range of Legion dice sets, though these are almost perpetually sold out due to popularity. 

The 9th ed dice are generally much nicer.

Are they made inhouse or outsourced does anyone know?

New BloodBowl team dice sold out too

And remember the dice fiasco when marine supplements first came out in 8th? White scars dice in salamanders packing and I think 4 supplements didnt get their dice then and there were no new dice in general for a while IIRC

It might be production and distribution problems. Earlier today a FLGS in the UK posted that non-GW stores have been allocated just 4 of each of this weekends preorders. That’s a tiny amount so they’re clearly struggling. If they can’t manufacture/distribute even a new release then reruns of the dice will be very low on the priority order. They may just be waiting till they’re at full capacity again before they offer the dice once more.

The 8th ed BA dice were also a limited run. You may be misremembering. The BA dice were again, sold out almost immediately on the GW web page. I found some in a travelling man store a few months later and grabbed them. GW's dice sets for the last decade have always been limited edition collectors stuff - as per the above, Forge World now have a permanent range of Legion dice sets, though these are almost perpetually sold out due to popularity. 

I dunno Xenith? I was a GW store manager during that time. I was able to get them in repeatedly for several months, same with the Dark Angels and Space Wolf sets.

My guess? Scalpers.

Their filthy tentacles have reached way too many places; If it's a product with finite numbers, and someone wants it, rest assured they get there first.

PC graphics cards? Check.

New-gen consoles? Check.

40k box sets? Check.

Now the dice,

tomorrow the groceries.

We must crusade brothers, lest this evil devours all!

Put them to the sword! :)

The 9th ed dice are generally much nicer.

Are they made inhouse or outsourced does anyone know?

New BloodBowl team dice sold out too

And remember the dice fiasco when marine supplements first came out in 8th? White scars dice in salamanders packing and I think 4 supplements didnt get their dice then and there were no new dice in general for a while IIRC

So far I think you're right. I remember the 8th edition Dark Angel dice had a serious bump made into them usually under the 1. In a pack of 20 you'f have at least 7 or 8 that had that imperfection.

Edited by Helias Tancred

I said in another thread that it appeared the BA dice are different from the SW and DW dice (talking all 9th edition versions here). They’re packaging, design, and seemingly size are different. The BA dice have regular pips on their 1 side, while the other two sets had a skull.

I’m not sure why they went with two different versions of special dice for 3 chapters; the answer probably aligns with the lesser availability of these BA dice in the current run.