Most heroic victory in 40k

Shadowscream

It's not heroic. He now does nothing, gets obliterated for zero impact.

Thanks Abnett.

I suppose that's fairly 40k in itself, how his significance has been inflated over time to become a brave martyr in the face of overwhelming odds. I still prefer the original version though.

I’m desperately trying to remember the novel where an imperial hive is under attack and losing and as it’s being overrun the author specifically mentions several acts of heroism by the ordinary defenders that were never seen or recorded by anyone in-universe because they all died. They always struck me as very heroic. I really wish I could remember which novel, may even be something obvious like Helsreach but I don’t think it’s that one.

Necropolis. Some of them don't reach the gates in time before they're sealed and decide to give the enemy hell before they're inevitably overrun.

It's hard for me to really care much about heroic Marine victories when they're super soldiers and get dime a dozen of them per book/codex anyway.

Kell throwing Creed aboard a Valkyrie before Abaddon can reach him, then spitting in the latter's face stands out to me, because it's the last time in quite a while a character with a model on the tabletop died and ultimately it was a victory for him - making sure Creed escaped alive to lead Cadia's defence.

Edited by Lord Marshal

How about when Khârn wantonly swings his axe and obliterates Krole ?

Quite heroic.

To me it was just another typical Dan Abnett moment and one of the things that make the novel less than what it could have been. I’d go so far to say it was a bit msygnotic.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Commisar Yarrick yet.  Or Calgar's defense of Maccrage from the Tyrannids.  I'm clearly too old.

Pedro Kantor is still the original badass.  The Crimson Fists have lived in the shadow of Rynn's World for so long, it is weird to think of them as anything other than survivors.

How about when Khârn wantonly swings his axe and obliterates Krole ?

Quite heroic.
To me it was just another typical Dan Abnett moment and one of the things that make the novel less than what it could have been. I’d go so far to say it was a bit msygnotic.

Ehhh I wouldn't go that far, and I notably dislike his work.

@Scribe Standing your ground against a primarch is the definition of heroic? Doesn’t matter if he died! Heroism doesn’t require victory

It's because it was in an Abnett book. If anyone else wrote it, Scribe would be gushing over it. :rolleyes:

Slanderous!

Name another author to ruin the Ollanius lore, completely upend it and turn it into something it wasnt. Only Abnett? Got it.

(EDIT: I'll also have you know that unless its ADB, Wraight, or French, the odds I 'gush' over anything are low indeed.)

Edited by Scribe

In game I once saw five fire warriors be charged by a space marine chaplain. He missed all his attacks and the fire warriors beat him to death in one round! Those fire warriors was bad to the bone. Very heroic (and funny but my friend who charged with the chaplain was less happy).

Canonness Praxedus holding her own against a Hive Tyrant in melee combat before caving it's head in while her convent held the line so the last civilians could escape the hive fleet invasion. They held the line so long that rumors circulate that they're still alive fighting the hive fleet from the inside.

Always a favorite of mine.

Horus crippling the false Emperor.

I mean not really impressive to beat up someone whose not fighting back.

Its about the journey, not the destination. That and the friends we made on the way.

Edited by grailkeeper

Horus crippling the false Emperor.

I mean not really impressive to beat up someone whose not fighting back.

Its about the journey, not the destination. That and the friends we made on the way.

Hahahaha right. And the Emperor fought back anyways, he just held back. He was his own downfall. After all the terrible stuff Horus did and caused, even after he just killed Sanguinius, knowing chaos was pulling the strings, the Emperor still thought Horus could be redeemed. The Emperor got what he deserved.