Super debuff Reiver Lt

Xenith

Hi, there's an existing thread on the Reiver Lt, however I wish to discuss one specific build - maybe these can be merged after a period.

Reiver Lieutenant

Terror Troops: (3" Aura of -2Ld)

Chapter Tactic: Fearsome Aspect (3" Aura of -1Ld), something else

Warlord Trait: Fear Made Manifest (6" Aura of -1Ld, -1 to attrition)

Relic: Vox Espiritum (+3" range to non-psychic Auras).

Additionally, he will likely be of a Blood Angels Successor, so have access to BLOOD ANGELS stratagems, etc. 

So, anyone within:

9" has -1Ld and -1 to to attrition rolls. 

6" -4Ld and -1 to attrtition rolls. 

Allies within 9" get to use his tactical precision rule. 

Obviously, this is a big negative and anyone taking a morale test within 6" will probably fail, then hopefully lose 1/3 of the remaining models in the unit. 

The problem is delivery and utilisation. How do I get him upfield fast. He lacks the grapnel launchers or the grav chutes of the Reivers (oversight or intent?). Smaller tables this edition seem good.

Is a valid tactic getting him within 6" of a few units then aiming to kill at least one from each to force a test? 

What else can I do with this guy? 

Looks like he might be good against tough units like Necrons or DG where a few casualties could easily be magnified.

As for getting him up the field, popping him in an Impulsor with some Bladeguard seems like an option. It may not quite seem fluffy for a Phobos character but it is perfectly viable IIRC. He also has the advantage of being relatively cheap.

Only drawback is that he is relatively fragile with no Invulnerable save so keep him well protected (the Bladeguard again) to prevent him being killed too quickly.

Dark Angels would be the best as of now.  The Interrogator Chaplain Aura counts everything as 25% Casualties, and can take Angel's Ambit to extend his auras 3".  Will have to see when their Supplement drops.

Edited by CCE1981

I think you can have the Salamander helm that also emits -1 aura doesn't it? I do remember making this exact build as an theory for leadership non-sense. Technically one thing that can be considered now is that while reivers aren't great, fearsome aspect does make them a -3 leadership aura by default. Depending on how you want to work it, you can go raven guard and attempt a warlord snipe strategy to then debuff the enemy army by -1 as well.

Some important notes when considering the strategy is break points, anytime a unit had leadership 6 or less any loss could trigger a failed morale check from even 1 loss. However pushing that further down just helps odds. The main issue is the damage this does now isn't as all or nothing as 8th, it is "percentage" based system where healthy units will lose 17% of their current numbers and weak units will lose 33% of their current number. So when using this, it should be a case that you make this part of a greater strategy to hurt the enemy army.

The issue is this leaves many weak units running around needing cleaned up and those units could score objectives. Sadly this idea may struggle but now for a different reason.

If you go with Flesh Tearers (so giving up the Fearsome Aspect trait, meaning the Lieutenant only has a -3 Ld aura), then you can use their unique Stratagem "Savage Destruction," which gives another -1 to Combat Attrition tests.

This means that any enemy within 6" has -3Ld and, if they fail a Morale Test, then they should lose an average of 50% of their remaining models to Combat Attrition.

If you really need to make sure they fail, then you could send a bare bones Reiver squad along with the Lieutenant, perhaps in an Impulsor together. Since there is no limit on the Ld debuff from Terror Troops stacking, if you get both the Lieutenant and the Reivers in range, the enemy unit(s) will have -5 Ld, so a 6 bike Harlequin Skyweaver Troupe would be at Ld3, failing on 3+ after just one casualty, and then likely losing 2-3 more to Combat Attrition (same with a Custodian Guard squad).

For something like a 3 man bladeguard squad, if you kill one, you force a Ld test at -4, assuming they fail, another immediately dies to morale, then the -1 for being under half strength combined with the -1 to attration tests is a 50/50 chance for the third model to be destroyed, right?

Space Marines ignore modifiers to Combat Attrition tests, but this might work on other armies.

If you go with Flesh Tearers (so giving up the Fearsome Aspect trait, meaning the Lieutenant only has a -3 Ld aura), then you can use their unique Stratagem "Savage Destruction," which gives another -1 to Combat Attrition tests.

This means that any enemy within 6" has -3Ld and, if they fail a Morale Test, then they should lose an average of 50% of their remaining models to Combat Attrition.

If you really need to make sure they fail, then you could send a bare bones Reiver squad along with the Lieutenant, perhaps in an Impulsor together. Since there is no limit on the Ld debuff from Terror Troops stacking, if you get both the Lieutenant and the Reivers in range, the enemy unit(s) will have -5 Ld, so a 6 bike Harlequin Skyweaver Troupe would be at Ld3, failing on 3+ after just one casualty, and then likely losing 2-3 more to Combat Attrition (same with a Custodian Guard squad).

Yes! That sounds absolutely hilarious, I'll have to give it a go. 

This is actually a possible use for Reiver squads then - not just Lieutenants. I'm impressed that that's been found, since these guys are usually such absolute trash. You can't kill things but you can frighten them off, I suppose.

Doing this as RG with MoA would be kind of cool, though of course Reivers remain possibly the worst unit to use MoA on in all other respects :)

While not competitive, in terms of trying to make it work the concept would likely be best employed via grav-chutes or spider manning from reserve and aiming for that on entry charge. The most consistent approach would be with Fearsome Aspect and Hungry for Battle while hailing from Raven Guard as to have access to their charge boosting abilities and also the fact they have the best relics for such set-ups really imo (Phobos captain with Kovidari bolts will make landing that warlord kill for the -1 across the army much easier, especially with marksmen honour).

Run 2-3 squads depending on how big you want them however I would say somewhere between 15-20 is more than enough. Need enough to not be easily dusted away but not wanting to commit to their rather lack lustre abilities. Personally would prefer going Carbines with these guys for long term harrassment over the combat gear because...combat gear sucks for them (I swear someone must of got confused and gave the AP to the pistols for some reason). They are punchy enough for what we want which is denial and leadership nonsense. Do remember they can activate their unique stratagem to deny ObSec troops in case of rascally stragglers. Ofcourse the Lieutenant is running around doing his thing however you want to gear him up but remember his role is more just to be another source of grief for our opponent who likely is now seeing where we are going with this plan.

Do your best to get reivers in the guts of the enemy and tag up as many units as possible. This entire strategy is going hurt most from turn 1-2 and after that, could see fringe use. The supporting cast to this should be a solid mid-range army that shoots good and brawls decent, funny that...almost like marines have that in spades. Depending on how you like your mid-field, anything from an array of tacticals kitted as you please to just standard blocks of intercessors will do. Further reinforce with decent anti-tank power from your preferred methods (dreadnoughts though are looking mighty tasty though land speeders and attack bikes are good anti-tank and double as last turn objective taggers if they hang around) and hey presto you have an army that...is gimmicky as all heck that cries whenever Tyranids, Orks, Custodes or anyone that ignores morale shows up but when it does work it will feel like a surgical strike designed to dishearten and rob the enemy of morale.

Again, Theory crafting here but thats all I got...its all I have...no games make me a very sad marine.