Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saga of the Sons of Fenris (GT complete...saga over)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

So I entered a digital GT with lots of competitive players

*When I play online I only use models I own unless I am experimenting what to buy...so this digital army matches my real life army

First time playing on the WTC mission packs as well...interesting they have maps with high/medium/low terrain 

I kind of like that...random battle maps where flexibility in your army is a factor

My personal goal is don't embarrass myself...leave with at least 1 victory

Round 1

SW v Orks

Map/Mission-Table 3 Battle lines (lots of terrain)

My army-Sons of Fenris
Spoiler

His army
Spoiler

Pregame & Deployment
Spoiler

BATREP
Spoiler

Final score and recap
Spoiler

Edited by TiguriusX, 06 January 2021 - 01:54 PM.

• Wolf Guard Dan and NightHowler like this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

Wolf Guard Dan

Wolf Guard Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,059 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka
Thanks for the content. I appreciate the time you take to write these up for us.

Do you find bikes for the wolf lords to be the better option than mounted on thunder wolves? What have you found to be the pros vs cons? Have you found yourself wanting the mounts instead of the bikes?

Have the double heavy flamers been worth the points for you on the Wulfen dreads?

It’s seems like in your iterations of lists that the different things you’ve tried all have use. Makes me happy about internal balance of our book.
  • TiguriusX likes this
*wolf howl*!!!!
'It takes a vast amount of control to be this dangerous.' -Prospero Burns

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

Thanks for the content. I appreciate the time you take to write these up for us.

Do you find bikes for the wolf lords to be the better option than mounted on thunder wolves? What have you found to be the pros vs cons? Have you found yourself wanting the mounts instead of the bikes?

Have the double heavy flamers been worth the points for you on the Wulfen dreads?

It’s seems like in your iterations of lists that the different things you’ve tried all have use. Makes me happy about internal balance of our book.

I ended up with biker HQs for a couple of reasons

The primary reason is mobility...guaranteed mobility in a dice game is a huge deal

The way I run my HQs I never felt the need for TWC

14" then charge or 20" turbo boost to get me to a specific location are major tools I use

When I add hunter I get 21" advance with a charge to follow...that is a massive threat range

A TWC can't match that mobility...all it can do is advance and charge without the hunter trait

But technically 10+d6 TWC isn't much better than a basic 14" move and charge that a bike has.  Once again I prefer the known quantity so I can plan around it

If I were to change I would use a jump pack instead of a TWC.  The ability to breach through walls and hop over models would be worth the loss in total movement for a different type of flexibility

But I like having T5 so I prefer bikes over all other versions currently...and my discovery of the company veteran and bodyguard slingshot has given me even more range on my bikes.  I no longer have to hide and drive around terrain on turn 1.  I can line up turn 1 charges with bike HQs and drop a pod filled with BCs and a canticle of hate aura from a chaplain if I want to and there isn't much my opponent can do to stop me unless they have a ton of psykers.

Never considered dropping the double flamers on my wulfen dreads for points.  I like having the option to auto hit and get a guaranteed outcome.  It may vary in number of shots but I know it will hit.  It has a psychological impact on my opponent and prevents him from easily slowing me down me with chaff.  If I start my turn in combat I can fire them and try to get free for a charge as well

Our codex has many options and you can make anything work if you build your list around it...my current list has a high demand for reliability.  It is why I prefer the great wolf claw on the wulfen dreads.  Rerolling those wounds are HUUUUGE for me.

I have started coming up against stuff with transhuman type defense (dark angels and sisters of battle relic) etc.

Claws that reroll wounds are my best weapons against that type of unit.

• Karhedron likes this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

ETL-2019

Ragnar69

Ragnar69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 77 posts

The base size is also a pro for bikers over cavalry. A biker lord can move through a TWC unit, a TWC lord has to go around them

• TiguriusX likes this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

**Update**
Finally went back and fleshed out the batrep a bit.  I had to try and remember details a week later based on my screen shots only.  Gotta be honest...still cranky I lost the entire post and all the notes I had.

Round 2
SW v Custodes
Map/Mission-Table 3 Sweep & Clear

My army
Spoiler

His army
Spoiler

Pre-game and deployment
Spoiler

BATREP
Spoiler

Final
Spoiler

Edited by TiguriusX, 19 December 2020 - 01:53 PM.

• NightHowler likes this

ETL-2019

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

Round 3

SW v Dark Angels

Map/Mission-Table 2 Vital intel

My army

Spoiler

His army

Spoiler

Pre-game and deployment

Spoiler

BATREP

Spoiler

Final and recap

Spoiler

Edited by TiguriusX, 19 December 2020 - 01:37 AM.

• NightHowler and Karhedron like this

ETL-2019

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,534 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Congratulations on your victory over the Lion's degenerate sons!
  • TiguriusX likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

The Saint Ragnar

The Saint Ragnar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 320 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka (Space Wolves)
I'm not sure how much it would change but you can't heal the same unit with the double heal from the apothecary I'm pretty sure. You can only use that ability once on a unit and it looked like he used it twice. Good job pulling through, calculated aggression is the name of the game for us now which feels weird
  • TiguriusX likes this

For Russ and the AllFather!

Armies Played:

Space Wolves - ~3,000 Points

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_04_.jpg

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

Went back and completed the round 2 details as best I could

Round 4 is up next...just waiting to see who my opponent is and chanting "not harlies not harlies" while I wait

ETL-2019

Axilleas

Axilleas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 48 posts
Love these batreps, thanks for putting in the effort to bring them to us.

I know you have an attachment to your LF DP combo, but it seems like they fail more often than they succeed. Much of that seems to be dice being dice, but it may be something to objectively consider for future lists.

That being said, you are a much better player than I and I take much inspiration from your lists and play style. Keep it up!
  • TiguriusX likes this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

Love these batreps, thanks for putting in the effort to bring them to us.

I know you have an attachment to your LF DP combo, but it seems like they fail more often than they succeed. Much of that seems to be dice being dice, but it may be something to objectively consider for future lists.

That being said, you are a much better player than I and I take much inspiration from your lists and play style. Keep it up!

The LF DP combo is a tool like any other. I am still learning what it is good for and what it is bad for.

I have had games where I blast 2 flyers out of the sky with no sweat...or an ork kill tank goes boom...or I kill a 5 man squad of TWC

*edit*
Almost forgot...the biggest benefit is the psychological impact. The possibility of dropping that pod of melta death has a massive impact on their choices.

Many opponents tell me that planning around that combo takes most of their pre game attention

The custodes and invader atvs are the things I need to avoid because they are what I call 4/4 units. Things that have transhuman type tricks and only get wounded on a 4 and then have a good invulnerable save absolutely counter the high damage high reliability but low number of dice.

Many of my failures in these games are user error

=)

Edited by TiguriusX, 19 December 2020 - 07:35 PM.

ETL-2019

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts
GT Round 4
SW v Chaos / Death Guard
Map/Mission-Table 3 Retrieval Mission

My army
Spoiler

His army
Spoiler

Pre-game and deployment
Spoiler

BATREP
Spoiler

Final and recap
Spoiler

• svane jotunsbane, NightHowler and Karhedron like this

ETL-2019

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,495 posts
Thanks for another great Batrep, I am really enjoying these. I was planning to splash out on a new Dread for my Wolves at some point and I was mulling between a Wulfen Dread or a MM Contemptor. Your experiences with the Wulfen Dreads are certainly making my lean in that direction. Between Long Fangs and Eradicators,I probably have enough melta to cover my anti-tank needs.
  • TiguriusX likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

Thanks for another great Batrep, I am really enjoying these. I was planning to splash out on a new Dread for my Wolves at some point and I was mulling between a Wulfen Dread or a MM Contemptor. Your experiences with the Wulfen Dreads are certainly making my lean in that direction. Between Long Fangs and Eradicators,I probably have enough melta to cover my anti-tank needs.

I just started experimenting with a venerable dread with claw/plasma....same exact points as the wulfen dreads in this list.

It has more offense and is better against admech and harlie matchups but it also has less defense because it lacks the blizzard shield.

I wish I could take both to be honest...the wulfen dreads just keep putting in work in this GT for me and I am extremely hesitant to remove them now.

ETL-2019

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,495 posts
My thinking with the Contemptor is that it combines the firepower of a regular Dread with a passable Invuln and the 8" move. Plus the FW version looks particularly good.

If I were going for plasma, the extra firepower of the Redemptor would probably swing it for me. The fact it can take an OGC as a secondary weapon despite it nearly equalling the firepower of an assault cannon is pretty tasty too.

Edited by Karhedron, 31 December 2020 - 02:50 PM.

• TiguriusX likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,534 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Congratulations on your victory!
  • TiguriusX likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

Here is the preview before final results

Table 1...championship match is Aeldari (harlies + shining spears detachment) v Sisters of battle

Table 2 is AdMech v Space Wolves

Table 3 is Harlies v Space Wolves

Table 4 is Space Wolves v Harlies

Table 5 is Adeptus Astartes v Chaos Daemons

Our codex is representing well in this GT

Edited by TiguriusX, 02 January 2021 - 08:34 PM.

ETL-2019

Wolf Guard Dan

Wolf Guard Dan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,059 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka
YOU are representing well in this GT. lol. Keep up the good work man.

We are going to have to put all the links to all the other Saga’s you’re writing so we don’t lose track of it all. A lot of great information you’re finding for us all.
  • TiguriusX likes this
*wolf howl*!!!!
'It takes a vast amount of control to be this dangerous.' -Prospero Burns

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,495 posts

A good showing on your behalf helping a fair bit. smile.png

How much commonality is there between the SW lists? Are they similar or have you each found different ways to leverage our capabilities?

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

A good showing on your behalf helping a fair bit. smile.png

How much commonality is there between the SW lists? Are they similar or have you each found different ways to leverage our capabilities?

This is the next SW after me (see the redemptor spam?)

Round 1 he defeated necrons

Round 2 he lost to tyranids

Round 3 he got a forfeit against sisters of battle

Round 4 he defeated a harlie foot army

Spoiler

This is the SW immediately after him

Round 1 he lost to the same harlie foot army discussed above

Round 2 he defeated ultramarines

Round 3 he got a forfeit against space wolves I think (score is 75-0 instead of 82-0 others have for a forfeit)

Round 4 he defeated necrons

Spoiler

I would say 3 completely different styles

I can't take #1 overall but I am trying my hardest to finish as the top SW

ETL-2019

ChainsawDR

ChainsawDR

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts
Really enjoying the batreps, thanks for sharing them. Please could I ask how you are creating the pink radius lines around your models? I’m trying to get into using TTS and haven’t been able to figure out creating radius’

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts

Really enjoying the batreps, thanks for sharing them. Please could I ask how you are creating the pink radius lines around your models? I’m trying to get into using TTS and haven’t been able to figure out creating radius’

If the army model was creating using the BattleScribe tools then it has scripts built in.

Keypad numbers 4 and 5 should make the auras grow/shrink

ETL-2019

ChainsawDR

ChainsawDR

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 281 posts
Thanks TiguriusX! Really helpful

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,819 posts
Round 5
SW v Admech
Map/Mission-Table 2 Surround & Destroy

My army
Spoiler

His army
Spoiler

Pregame & Deployment
Spoiler

BATREP
Spoiler

Final score and recap
Spoiler

• Karhedron likes this

ETL-2019

The Saint Ragnar

The Saint Ragnar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 320 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka (Space Wolves)
A tough fight for sure, where does he get exploding 5s? I know AdMech have the warlord trait for exploding 6s but I was pretty sure that couldn't be modified.

Edit: I looked it up and the forgeworld trait gives it for only the Arc weapons. So that is a rough combo for sure added in with the 5+ on top of just a general 6+ if not near the warlord

Edited by The Saint Ragnar, 06 January 2021 - 03:12 PM.

• TiguriusX likes this

For Russ and the AllFather!

Armies Played:

Space Wolves - ~3,000 Points

ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_04_.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users