Mortis

Marshal Loss

I can see this being a French-i-fied version of The Lost and the Damned which I'm excited for

So classic moments I feel like we might see include the five titans of the Legio Mortis being brought down during the advance by the inner wall's guns (possibly upscaled to reflect the Horus Heresy's general upscaling idk) and the Bananas in Auramite Pyjamas plugging the breach for a time. This will also be the moment, I believe(?), when the Siege transitions from conquering spaceports and breaking walls to the brutal chamber-by-chamber fighting we've all been waiting for. Those Malcharion bits in Soul Hunter spring to mind. Pretty cool stuff

I expect we'll get a follow-up of French's Perty arc that he left off in The Solar War and maybe even some more warp scenes between Horus and the Emperor - or maybe even Horus getting over his giant bender with a clear head and doing some tactician-ing. While Horus' best portrayals have always been Horus Rising, that one chapter in Betrayer and that chapter in The Path of Heaven, French probably did the best significant effort in Slaves to Darkness IMO

It also expect some juxtaposition to this in the form of what is happening in space, with the loyalist fleet and the Dark Angels doing something. I hope we get more details on what is happening/happened at Jupiter and Mars seeing how that was largely glossed over in French's first book. Other than that? I'm hoping for some more Ahriman and co. and maybe even psi-titans to be around. If Abnett's Siege is a oil painting of angels battling demons, then French's Siege is a ten-hour documentary on logistical challenges faced by Zagreus Kane in supplying bullets to the front line - and I love it all

I hope French touches upon Grammaticus, Oll, Arik, and Ghota

I hope they don't even see mention. Especially the perpetual side story.

There we can see how different the expectations and preferences are... 

I am not really interested into them as well. The only thing I am interested is how they interact with the emperor or how the emperor will react to them if he recognize any of them.

Do you think Sigismund is in the next book a big thing? When will he become the first emperors champion? Thats the main question for me in each of those books.

I ´ve heard that French is the "30k Sigismund" writer although I prefer ADB. 

Edited by Medjugorje

I don't think Mortis will focus much on Sigismund. Maybe he's a lost warrior?

He's a warrior, but he wasn't "lost" as of Saturnine...so not sure how French could work him in as a major character. Lost his purpose perhaps?

Would love it if he were.

In one of the books he will become the emperors champion and then he kill two dozen Chaos champions. A few of them will be well known characters ... and we all know that Dorn wasnt amused about him so there must be a reason for Dorn to give him this tille or maybe other important characters will. Could it be the emperor himself or Malcador?

I dont think it is the last book, because this should be totally focused Sanguinius, the Emperor and Dorns attack on the vengeful spirit - at this time Sigismund was given the command over the whole battle on the palace.

Seems like Sigismund stomping will fall to ADB which let's be honest no one is going to complain about after Black Legion LMAO. It could fall to Wraight, I guess?, but I expect him to be too busy with his own characters. Likewise the final book has a huge amount to pack into its pages. Mortis seems to be the beginning of the final phase of the Siege so it would be far too early and wouldn't suit the tone of things. I don't want Sigismund to don the black until the Traitors are wiping their arses with the Emperor's finest rugs and spraying pictures of penises all over his golden halls, which I see being Book #7

I think French did a superb job of Sigismund in The Solar War of portraying him as a conflicted lawnmower, but it will be ADB, I guess, who garbs him in black and rebirths him as a bulldozer of purity. I could've done without all the mucking about in The First Wall, if I'm honest, and even though Saturnine is a superb book I'm beginning to feel like the whole affair between the elite strike teams didn't really fit the Siege altogether

I also like to believe ADB won't go down the whole Dragon Ball Z power-up route with Sigismund, or at least he will write it open to interpretation as to whether he is curbstomping Chaos Champions through either a samurai sense of inner-peace or EmPeRoR mAgIcK

I also like to believe ADB won't go down the whole Dragon Ball Z power-up route with Sigismund, or at least he will write it open to interpretation as to whether he is curbstomping Chaos Champions through either a samurai sense of inner-peace or EmPeRoR mAgIcK

God, I absolutely despise that its even an option...

Was he ever an interesting character? He was just a lame "best swordsman ever" cardboard cutout.

The writers did their best to work with that throughout the series and add a bit more depth. He's actually one character where i don't mind the idea of a faith based power up rather than having to read more garbage like that French short where he defeats a hundred or so other IF then takes on a dread. It strips far too much of the sci-fi out of the Astartes to have characters among them so overpowered purely at skill of arms.

Edited by Fedor

Was he ever an interesting character? He was just a lame "best swordsman ever" cardboard cutout.

The writers did their best to work with that throughout the series and add a bit more depth. He's actually one character where i don't mind the idea of a faith based power up rather than having to read more garbage like that French short where he defeats a hundred or so other IF then takes on a dread. It strips far too much of the sci-fi out of the Astartes to have characters among them so overpowered purely at skill of arms.

He is for Black Templars what Guilliman is for the Ultramarines. The most important character in the whole series. He must be OP

Edited by Medjugorje

I was a bit surprised that French's second SoT book would be Titan-focused.

1. Solar War

2. Lost and Damned

3. First Wall

4. Saturnine

5. Mortis

6. Chris - Lion's Gate Spaceport

7. ADB - Eternity Gate

8. Dan - Fin

ADB doing Sigismund would be great...I think it's the only option

He is for Black Templars what Guilliman is for the Ultramarines. The most important character in the whole series. He must be OP

No, he should have been well written, and consistent with their pre-retcon lore.

That ship, has sailed.

So I'll take 'revert to how he should have been, even if it requires mental gymnastics' to at least salvage the character.

I am too very excited that John French is doing book two. I swore when I read his afterword in the first book he was not doing any other books with the siege finale so happy that is not the case. I am not a big fan titan centered book (much like void wars) and hope that it will be more focused on the characters which I am sure it will be.

I didn't see but when does pre-order go up? 

I am too very excited that John French is doing book two. I swore when I read his afterword in the first book he was not doing any other books with the siege finale so happy that is not the case. I am not a big fan titan centered book (much like void wars) and hope that it will be more focused on the characters which I am sure it will be.

I didn't see but when does pre-order go up? 

January. No more info than that at the mo. 

• 4 weeks later...