Mortis

Marshal Loss

I finished Warhawk a week ago. It made the White Scars lengthy trudge in this book even more pointless. That story line added nothing to Mortis for me, and had very little impact on this book. I had thought it might be building something bigger but it didn't, despite the white scar being one of the main characters in Warhawk..

Shibans whole attitude in Warhawk and his symbol as the Restorer is driven by his journey. Like, it's pretty obvious that the ghosts of his friends and their values shape his actions in Warhawk.

Average Plot and Characterization Fan vs Average Mood Enjoyer

(Can you Feel my Heart blares distantly)

I actually love how distant the Emperor's children are in this book; in fact, I love how restrained in-person appearances are from the traitor legions in general. I find them much scarier when they get less focus, because there's so much less room for them to act like Mcneill's wacky gang of :cusss. The traitor's in Mortis are horrifying.

And yes, Shiban's personality and actions don't make sense without his vision quest. It would be 180 degree change in outlook without explanation.