Mortis

Marshal Loss

Just put in my pre-order of the regular Hardback on Amazon and noticed the page count is 560!! Looks like this sucker is going to dwarf it's brother volumes on shelf!

It is big and that is something to look forward to, but its roughly same size as Saturnine actually, biggest book Abnett ever wrote according to him.

You know what, I was way too hasty at trusting the Amazon listing for Saturnine & Mortis... both must be a ways off with Saturnine listed at 464 (quickly flicking through my Std HB it's about 557) and Mortis at 560 but looking a ways shorter than that thanks to Furioso's photo edit above!

Gotta love a big ol Hardback on shelf!! :sweat:

I'm ready for that much John French. His mid-to-late heresy books are some of my favorite, a lot of the characters are created by him or written the best in his hands: abaddon, perturabo, dorn, arhiman, sigismund, and sanguinius should be great. He also does large-scale battles the best imo, so can't wait for more.

The Siege of Terra novels have been getting progressively longer; each one has more pages than the last.

I've gotta take the other road from Mohawk on this one; I'm a bit leery about that much John French. I find I enjoy his short stories more than his full-length novels. In my opinion his longer works tend to have pacing issues and lose focus partway through. I'm not sure doorstopper format behemoth novels play into his strengths.

Damn! I’m glad I never went down the road of collecting expensive books I’m too nervous to touch for being afraid of getting oils from my skin on the pages. Does any read them or just have them displayed on a shelf? Fine looking books though! I bet they smell like mahogany.

I don’t read my siege of Terra limited editions, I just wait for the audiobook release.

I just wash my hands and read the books carefully. I understand wanting to preserve them, and I was annoyed when my copy of The Lost and the Damned starting shedding gilt like a balding golden retriever wherever I touched the pages, but as long as everything’s in good order structurally I’m okay. Some wear and tear is a sign of having been enjoyed (at least that’s what I tell myself). Edited by cheywood

SoT novels in numbers:

The Solar War 112K words

The Lost and the Damned 114K words

The First Wall 122K words

Saturnine 150K words

Of course I read LEs, I don't see a point spending money on it just to put in the bookshelf. I'm very careful reading them, as with any book. Most of the time you can't even tell it's been read.

I will more often than not listen to the audiobook first (if there's one available of course), and followup with a physical read through if the book is so good that it warrents a second purchase. I do have a few books that are simply collectors pieces and largly remain untouched, but every now and then I'll get em down and bask in their glory / read a few pages here and there... most likely when the kids are in bed and can do no harm!! :biggrin.:

I find doing both results in a very different experience. Listening is much easier as I have very little free time just to myself, however tends to be somewhat superfecial and some of the more subtle nuance of some novels can be missed. An actual physical read through I find is way more personal. It's dedicated time spread over multiple nights of the week to properly consume every morsal of page detail and reflect on just what is going on... that's if I don't fall asleep first lol :sweat:

SoT novels in numbers:

The Solar War 112K words

Saturnine 150K words

Of course I read LEs, I don't see a point spending money on it just to put in the bookshelf. I'm very careful reading them, as with any book. Most of the time you can't even tell it's been read.

Same here.

I do like that the new French book is another huge one like Saturnine, seems like there is a lot to tell and cover story wise in this middle part of the Siege.

SoT novels in numbers:

The Solar War 112K words

Saturnine 150K words

Same here.

I do like that the new French book is another huge one like Saturnine, seems like there is a lot to tell and cover story wise in this middle part of the Siege.

As long as Abnett doesn’t wrap up the finale in 90k words due to deadline (saying that as an Abnett fan concedes there have been a few novels with rushed endings)

SoT novels in numbers:

The Solar War 112K words

Saturnine 150K words

Same here.

As long as Abnett doesn’t wrap up the finale in 90k words due to deadline (saying that as an Abnett fan concedes there have been a few novels with rushed endings)
I would say many of Abnett’s endings feel rather abrupt, like his focus is on the journey more than the destination. I don’t mind it at all, but it is something I’ve noticed more when rereading his work.

To stay slightly related to the subject I think French generally handles his endings quite well, giving them good space to breathe.

Edited by cheywood

I just wash my hands and read the books carefully. I understand wanting to preserve them, and I was annoyed when my copy of The Lost and the Damned starting shedding gilt like a balding golden retriever wherever I touched the pages, but as long as everything’s in good order structurally I’m okay. Some wear and tear is a sign of having been enjoyed (at least that’s what I tell myself).

I’ve had 3 limited Ed’s that lost their gilt and BL replaces them all. They left me the ruined copies. I sent an email with photos. Worth doing.

I just wash my hands and read the books carefully. I understand wanting to preserve them, and I was annoyed when my copy of The Lost and the Damned starting shedding gilt like a balding golden retriever wherever I touched the pages, but as long as everything’s in good order structurally I’m okay. Some wear and tear is a sign of having been enjoyed (at least that’s what I tell myself).

I’ve had 3 limited Ed’s that lost their gilt and BL replaces them all. They left me the ruined copies. I sent an email with photos. Worth doing.

Oh really? I’ll send an email asking then, but I can’t imagine there’s many copies of The Lost and the Damned hanging around at this point. Thanks for telling me!

The Solar War should've been bigger. Perturabo's push through the Jovian Sphere was hardly touched on and the battles over Mars/Luna didn't get the detail they deserved either. It stands out like a sore thumb when compared to the chaos at Pluto and Uranus. Granted there's only so many turbo lasers you can pack into one book before you get numb to it

I felt like those...stopped mattering? The whole premise was that the pushes were both a diversion and fuel for the ritual. The loyalists are thinking in terms of delaying the traitors from achieving orbital supremacy over terra, but that goal is ruined by the mass warp in and the capitalisation of Luna. Doesnt really matter how perts battle went or the battle over Mars; the traitors achieved orbit with a large portion of their forces.

I wouldn’t have complained about more void warfare, but I don’t think it was necessary to cover everything. The Solar War, to me, had a very good balance in terms of providing an overview of the first stage of the conflict while retaining focus on its central characters and story.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Graham has a novella about Mars coming though. Just a stab in the dark, so I’m likely wrong, but the advent short story he did has me suspicious.

Edited by cheywood

I wouldn’t be surprised if Graham has a novella about Mars coming though. Just a stab in the dark, so I’m likely wrong, but the advent short story he did has me suspicious.

This! Mechanicum 1.5 please. I really want to know what Dalia Cythera & her two guardian knights have been up to! :sweat:

This! Mechanicum 1.5 please. I really want to know what Dalia Cythera & her two guardian knights have been up to! :sweat:

The lighting hall novella kind of tells you a bit, though the knights have separated from Dalia.