Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[40k] Liber Xenologis

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,008 posts

unknown.png

ihYnqbKFAitacjv5-463x500.jpg

A new art / canon in-universe book from the Rogue Trader in Blackstone Fortress, covering the various Xenos species he encountered in the Blackstone Fortress.

Edited by Joe, 05 December 2020 - 02:49 PM.

• templargdt, Indefragable, MechaMan and 3 others like this

mkbKIlr.png

Beren

Beren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,034 posts

If this is even close to the old Xenology it'll be ace.

• Irbis likes this

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,030 posts
I need it.

I need it
banana

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,610 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion
This is one I'm really looking forward to. It has the potential to drive some changes/additions to our homegrown rules for the xenos in Inquisition and Rogue Trader kill teams.
  • Triszin likes this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,821 posts

Oh I definitely need it. Another in-universe art/lore book? GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMME!

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,776 posts
  • Faction: AdMech, DW, IK, Blood Ravens

Didn't know there was one already, defiantly going to get one of these when it comes out.

gallery_48988_15465_45080.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

Redcomet

Redcomet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 518 posts
This sounds really cool, I need this. Hope it isn’t one of their limited releases
  • Jorin Helm-splitter likes this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,821 posts

Didn't know there was one already, defiantly going to get one of these when it comes out.

The Xenology sourcebook was I think from.... Warhammer 40k 3rd Edition? In any case, it's been out of print for a decade or more.

• templargdt and Black_Knight like this

Black_Knight

Black_Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,776 posts
  • Faction: AdMech, DW, IK, Blood Ravens

Ah that makes sense I got my first box set near the end of 3rd, I wasn't the reading person back then.

gallery_48988_15465_45080.pnggallery_48988_15465_8206.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

Ryltar Thamior

Ryltar Thamior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 909 posts

Xenology was, as everybody in this thread is about to tell us, pretty great. 

The fluff in question has been semi-retconned [insofar as 40k does such a thing - it's still largely reconcileable .. and actually makes *more* sense in light of some of the subsequent Necron fluff] , but is still *well* worth reading, and was a pretty novel way to introduce and talk about various species both major and minor. The new species were also pretty interesting, conceptually and otherwise, and really helped to 'fit together' a whole lot of things and wild speculation. I remember .. sourcing a copy and just spending half a day *marvelling* at it all the way through.

Now, Blackstone Fortress represents a rather interesting conceptual 'window' in on doing something likewise perhaps - although I'd imagine a Rogue Trader will be getting a bit of a different perspective to an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor. More species speaking 'in their own words' or passing along gossip than active dissection, one presumes. 

What does this mean ? Possibly greater/deeper truths ... in amidst probably more beguiling lies! Excellent!

Given the title, I'd have presumed something like the old-format Index [Astartes / Hereticus ] pieces - but it looks like they're going for a more strengthend in-character/in-universe presentation than those. Which is cool. 

• Sandlemad likes this
Vox Stellarum efforts:
The Unyielding Adamanticores [truescale Astartes, auxilia, and sectorial AdMech; M37/38]
The Haunting Harii of Hvergelmir [truescale Astartes ... and associates]
The Unification Wars [truescale Thunder Warriors, (Proto-)Astartes, Army of Unification, Aegyptian-style Proto-Mechanicus raiders, etc.]
Combat Archaeology [Tomb Raiding for Fun & Prophet]
Horus Heresy [truescale loyalist IVth, VIIIth; Agents of the Sigillite; VIth; and so much more; and Umbral's amazing Traitors]
The Worlds-Wide Webway [(Dark) Eldar, Imperial Inquisition, an a-maze-ing realmweave of fear and wondermeant]
Thorian Inquisition [some rather different Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, true-scale Fire Hawks, Black Dragon, Inquisitor and associates, etc.]
For Whom The Great Bell Tolls Thrice [attempts to put the 'priest' back in 'tech-priest' with more-medieval mechanicus]
InquisiNecronMunda [the log that incepted it all - at least two Inquisitors, truescale Deathwatch, local enforcers, cultists, etc.]

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,091 posts

This sounds awesome. I really hope it's a general release and not a limited one.

Off the top of my head if it's based on BSF it should cover Ambulls (and Borewyrms, which are adolescent Ambulls), Zoats, Ur-Ghuls, Craftworld Aeldari, Kroot and possibly Spindle Drones (depends if they count as Xenos, as they're Xenos constructs, not organic). It might also cover Orks, Harlequins and Jokaero, which were in WD/2019 Annual.

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,652 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Coming off of the Perturabo and Lion El’Jonson Primarchs novels I really hope we get spine-shivering depictions of Hrud and Khrave, and many other of the countless creepy crawly terrors of the void both extinct and extant.
  • WrathOfTheLion likes this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,751 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

This looks very cool, I can't wait.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,091 posts

Coming off of the Perturabo and Lion El’Jonson Primarchs novels I really hope we get spine-shivering depictions of Hrud and Khrave, and many other of the countless creepy crawly terrors of the void both extinct and extant.

I wouldn't hold your breath. There's no mention of either of them in Blackstone Fortress. 

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,332 posts

Now, Blackstone Fortress represents a rather interesting conceptual 'window' in on doing something likewise perhaps - although I'd imagine a Rogue Trader will be getting a bit of a different perspective to an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor. More species speaking 'in their own words' or passing along gossip than active dissection, one presumes. 

What does this mean ? Possibly greater/deeper truths ... in amidst probably more beguiling lies! Excellent!

'Interview with a Zoat' would be a great angle to take on this. The whole Mos Eiseley angle of BSF offers a lot of potential. Xenology is great but as a series of field observations and the like, this has promise too.

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,283 posts
I think Xenology was in 4th as that’s when I got back into the hobby and had the disposable income to buy such books. Sold my copy along with the collected Liber Chaos and the Armageddon and Sabbat lore books about 5 years ago. Not sure if I’ll get this as it’ll just collect dust most likely. It’ll be a great book though, I’m sure.

Glad they are doing such books again.

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,332 posts

I think Xenology was in 4th as that’s when I got back into the hobby and had the disposable income to buy such books. Sold my copy along with the collected Liber Chaos and the Armageddon and Sabbat lore books about 5 years ago. Not sure if I’ll get this as it’ll just collect dust most likely. It’ll be a great book though, I’m sure.

Yeah this is maybe one of the nicest things about it, that they're working on vaguely in-universe art/background books again, it's been a long time.

I haven't read the BSF stories, does anyone know how does Darius Hinks writes Janus Draik? Roguish, interesting?

sitnam

sitnam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 434 posts

Yeah this is maybe one of the nicest things about it, that they're working on vaguely in-universe art/background books again, it's been a long time.

I haven't read the BSF stories, does anyone know how does Darius Hinks writes Janus Draik? Roguish, interesting?

Janus is outwardly ya somewhat garish, highbrow, arrogant noble. But inwardly he does have a level of appreciation for the various inhabitants of Precipice and those who brave the fortress

I am beyond stoked for this release. I love the BSF games, and quite enjoyed the two novels. I’ll definitely pick this up if I can
Posted Image
The Order of His Amethyst Heart
The Dancing Scythes Chapter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users