Landraider viability

Syrakul

That still requires they update the kit.  I just don't see it happening.  They have had two decades to update the Chaos Land Raider, and haven't. 

Still not seeing how that requires a kit update.  It's not hard to make a small upgrade sprue with different sponson weapons and assault launcher panels, especially since they already exist for SM variants.

It still requires they update the kit.  A new sprue is a deliberate acknowledgement of the shortcomings of the existing Chaos Land Raider kit.  There is nothing stopping them from doing so, especially as there has been a glut of Rhino derived tanks using an extra sprue.  The issue is more GW's decision-making process around mutually shared Loyalist and Chaos vehicles.  They are something that CSMs have, in an also sense.  The focus has been on Daemon Engines.  I don't see that changing.  After all, CSM should have the most variety of vehicular modification, seeing as how they are not bound to the dogmatic constraints of the AdMech, have an actively experimental wing of the Dark Mechanicus, and exist in part as scavengers.  Instead, this experimentation takes the form of the Daemon Engines.

While in general I do agree with you Snazzy, they also updated the dread, basic marine, thousand sons, death guard and other aspects of the line that were around that time frame as well. I think it is only a matter of time before they also dip into working with those models as well because Chaos doesn't have other delivery methods and I doubt very much that GW will expand further with it into other possible things and instead keep the rhino/pred/land raider as a throwback to give a more distinct feel to the Chaos line over all.

Do I hope GW would redo kits faster? Sure. Do I hope they stop just making Chaos vehicles about being the daemon engines? Sure.

But remember, half the fun of playing Chaos is seeing how high the salt pile can get :wink:

Problem is that models like the Chaos Rhino, Chaos Predator and Chaos Land Raider were always just an excuse to take an Imperial model and add a spiky bits sprue. Easy way to double up on sales for essentially the same kit, with minimal additional outlay.

The only way I could see us getting a new Chaos Land Raider kit is if GW could make it into something truly unique, not just a Spiky Space Marine vehicle. Which is not outside the realm of possibility, and I think would be extremely cool.

One interesting bit was the new Sisters of battle rhino based vehicles entirely redoing the rhino kit in their style, rather than another upgrade to old kit. Should CSM continue to be nostalgia focused a true plastic daemonforged Spartan kit would be fantastic.

For SoB with their previous metal upgrade bits, a redo was necessary for the base kit.

GW would likely not touch the CSM landraider, but rather make something else to supersede it. A big, dirty monster tank would be fitting and offer something to a sizable number of players (if 30k matters anymore I'm sure late-heresy players would jump on it too)

Question is if GW are willing to do a large plastic kit like that again, last big kit was the big knight?

Can we get a "heresy" type tank design that isn't just a dinobot or slathered in fleshmetal? I'm so, so sick of CSM daemon engines replacing all the cool stuff (Hellblades RIP, the turkey just isn't the same) and helbrutes are a poor man's chaos dreadnought.

I would want this also, Engines have their place - but baroque Heresy era vehicles would fit nicely with the updated CSM aesthetic.

In terms of gameplay both the Land Raider and the Spartan Assault Tank really struggle due to the lack of an assault ramp. Being able to move the vehicle and charge out of it the same term would be an good (and not OP) buff.

Honestly, I am 10000% fine with the rhino/pred/landraider, it fits. We, the entirety of the legions, are supposed to be in that 'stuck in the past'. But the fact that GW doesn't take advantage of the fact that these vehicles become warped and twisted over time, that they get retrofitted with other weapons? That is the real shame.

No reason why we can't have the daemon engines running to keep up with these ancient vehicles that are driven by hate. Rules wise we could use the assault option, they were built for it and it would give a bonus towards not being the latest and greatest skimmer.

Honestly, I am 10000% fine with the rhino/pred/landraider, it fits. We, the entirety of the legions, are supposed to be in that 'stuck in the past'. But the fact that GW doesn't take advantage of the fact that these vehicles become warped and twisted over time, that they get retrofitted with other weapons? That is the real shame.

No reason why we can't have the daemon engines running to keep up with these ancient vehicles that are driven by hate. Rules wise we could use the assault option, they were built for it and it would give a bonus towards not being the latest and greatest skimmer.

If they're stuck in the past, why can't they get Heresy styled options? The chaincannon is an example of what could be- if GW actually gave CSM proper attention.

I think we had the ability to have sonic weaponry on LRs back 3.5rd! I was very excited when they came out with narrative rules for LR construction, but we didn't really get anything useful out of it. 

@Lucerne - Oh I agree. Even if the chassis were based on those pre heresy styled vehicles with upgraded weapons such as a the chaincannon we would be in a much better place. It still doesn't change the fact that this is yet another way that GW could drive the line away from the Imperial ones but I think we both know what is going to happen.

@ChazSexington - If they did I think it was in a White Dwarf but I do remember them being able to outfit Dreads with them. But like any other time that GW puts out a "Check this out! You can build your own thing just like the Imperials!" It really just turns into 'hey here is an extra heavy bolter'.

I played a couple game with a Landraider today in conjunction with the new DR for DG and the Daemons Toll (5++ save). I filled it with 5 Deathshroud and had Morty in reserve. It worked very well for me, destroyed in turn 4 the first game and surviving the second. I was able to cast Miasma on it to make it -1 to be hit and that helped too. Not pretending it would work for anyone else, but for DG I think it’s a viable option.

I got another game in today with a LR full of Blightlords. Turn 1 I had him in range for the 5++ and it took 1 wound. I emptied my BLs and moved forward. He shot some warriors and killed 2 or 3, then during the combat phase he consolidated into those warriors.

Turn 2 he shot at it with close to 20 warriors and some characters. He then charged it with a groups of destroyers and a Szeras. It was destroyed by the end of combat, but in exchange nothing else of mine took damage.

By this time I owned 3 of the four objectives and by turn 3 had all 4. It definitely took a lot of fire to bring down while leaving the rest of my army to get objectives. Will take it again.