Iason and the hunt for the Golden Ram

++Personal record Legionnaire Iason 543256721++

Day 2

Betrayal from our own kind, returning from deep recon of the southern reaches we were greeted by a picket line of the 17th legion who opened fire upon us as soon as we reverted to real space. After a blind jump saved our hides we have hidden in the orbit of a dead world long enough to effect repairs. Staphylus just brought me a report on our situation, 26 dead and Geller field generators are "delicate" in his words, the Argo can fly but for how long? What idiot thought putting a warp engine on a Stormbird was a good idea?

Day 14

Well finally some good news, Apothecary Eribotes has managed to get everyone back on their feet and combat ready. I have 30 battle ready men aboard, but id rather avoid a fight if possible.

Day 21

We are headed to the armoury station at Iolcus, prehaps we can find an answer to the madness of the last few week. I have avoided letting my mind dwell on the reasoning behind why Lorgar's sons would turn their weapons on us.

Day 25

They have found us. Two cruisers caught us as we reverted to real space after risking a short jump, however Tiphys steered us to a nearby nebular he assures me it shall cloak our movements.

I am slightly ashamed to say i muttered a prayer to the old gods of my homeworld as the dark shadows passed over us.

Day 27

Tiphys swears he has seen a vessel in the void, not belonging to the Word bearers. I've ordered him to keep it to himself.

Day 29

Tiphys was correct We found a vessel, twisted and broken, it appears to have been here a long time. I've ordered a boarding action we need supplies.

Day 29.1.

Warp be damned. I found no answers only questions. The vessel was empty bar a single man, an Astarte his markings, armour type unfamiliar to me.

Steel plate with an azure serpent on a white field. The man is warp-mad, raving of a war of Saints and warmasters. He slips in and out of lucidity Apothecary Eribotes can offer no explination. I have ordered him sedated.

Day 31

We have arrived at the armoury station Iolcus. Legate Pelias welcomed us but was not suprised to hear of the Word Bearer treachery. This betrayal was wide spread and Calth herself is under siege.  The survivor has regained his mind enough to tell us his name, Chiron of the Iron Snakes, a formation of Astarte i can find no record of.

Day 33

Chiron in a fit of madness warned of a great golden ram that would shatter the sky. I would dismiss them as the ravings of a man whos mind was broken. Except for the entire astropath choir screamed of the same thing before they all died.  Survivors from all over the 500 worlds have begun to  arrive over the last few days bringing with them tales of brutality and nightmares.

Day 35

Legate Pelias' Tech-adept Hylas has repaired the Argo as best he can.

Chiron passed in the night his last words were of the Golden Ram which he claimed lay deep in now hostile territory in the very home of the bastard himself. On Colchis. Pelias has decreed that I should invesitigate the claimes of this Iron Snake. I am to take my recon company and the Argo to Colchis. I can not expect those i commanded to waste their lives so i have ordered their transfer to the station garrison. I shall take only volenteers.

Day 36

Word of my mission has spread like wildfire through the armoury station, and this morning after i completed my inspection of the Argo i found the hangar deck filled with the son's of Ultramar each begging, bragging, and boasting for their place at my side.

Actor Son of Hippasus was first to catch my eye. A solid leader of men and a vetran of many compliance campaigns a warrior i had fought along side in days past.

zLhS8NK.jpg

hQHAaX1.jpg

Next was Acastus, as a son to Pelias if rumour was to be considered. Eager and new to war he begged for his place to prove his metal in the name of the Primarch.

iGD1lIq.jpg

always a big fan of the integration of Classical myth etc. into 40k

Keep it up

Miniatures are well done, too - did you build the headset onto the BA head ?

Nope totally stock head no idea what kit it comes from as I got a big bits box from a guy on FB a few years back and my last 2 heresy armies have been 100% helmeted.

What an awesome start to a unique spin on the tale of Jason and the Argonauts this is:thumbsup:

Nitpickery:

Hidden Content
It's only a small problem, but you might want to polish some of the grammar to improve your narrative. For example:

Day 29

Tiphys was correct(insert'.') We found a vessel, twisted and broken,(change',' to'.' and 'it' to 'It') it appears to have been here a long time. I've ordered a boarding action(insert ',as') we need supplies.

Very fine work. I'm looking forward to the rest of Legionnaire Iason's personal log:yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Day 37

The Argo's warp engines have been torn down and rebuilt in record time, a fact the tech adepts would rather the Primarch didn't hear about unless he slashes their given maintenance

times.

I had to implement a strict training regime to choose only the best warriors for this quest, the latest I have chosen is Admetus. A man who I had not heard of until this day, but one I will watch closely. He was vouched for by several for his work is the rescue of the Alcestis from the Hades cluster. He has a strong arm, and more importantly a strong heart as I have seen him counselling and consoling those who are struggling in these dark times.

53smJjg.jpg

Day 38

Legionaire Peneleos, We had met once before many years ago when we burnt out a nest of Eldar. He arrived two days ago on a damaged Frigate in such dire shape that the mooring tugs barely got it far enough away from the Armoury station before it went critical. When he heard of my plans to strike at the heart of Cholchis he swore his life to me and I was happy to take it. If my memory doesn't fail me Peneleos was always headstrong and aggressive; often charging when doctrine demanded retreat, luckily his skill with a Gravgun always paid off. He takes up a shield and stands with us now.

Tf7AhhP.jpg

I love the paintjob, can you tell us more about your painting techniques?

sure i start with a black primer with a zenithal white layer. Then i airbrush on a layer of macragge Blue then a layer of Calgar blue zenithal over that. Then i do a varnish layer, decals. varnish, stipple/sponge on calgar blue chipping and then silver chipping. Varnish. Then a burnt umber oilwash. then pretty much everything else on top of that.

i tweak the blue for each mini because i want them to all look similar but slightly different because they are supposed to be from different units who've come together

Day 40

We left the Armoury station two days past Tiphys has been mewing like a child since we slipped our moorings. I had hoped for a simple transversion into warp space but the Astropath warned that the warp is becalmed like a windless day on a mirror-like lake. We can fly no more than a  few minutes in the imaterium before the astropath's screams become to much to bear and we revert to realspace. To travel to Cholcis on sublight would take hundreds of thousands of years while my thirst for vengeance lends me, unending patients. i feel that the warnings of the mad man Chiron would be wasted if we took that long.

Day 41

Phineus may have provided us with salvation. He informed me of a natural...or unnatural phenomenon that may help us. This so-called wyrmhole was discovered during the great crusade and transports any vessel who passes through its eye. According to Phineus he was aboard a vessel that travelled this way centuries ago, and if he is to be believed the vessel appeared no more than a sector from Cholchis.

Day 58

Skimming in and out of the warp has taken its toll on the astropath and the rest of my crew. We have found the wyrmhole, a sickening bruise in space swirling with hot gases and radiation levels that worry Eribotes. There appears to be some ...blockage in the way. A space hulk has stopped neither in nor out of the event horizon of the phenomenon.  

There is no way around it, probes and CAT missions have revealed that there appears to be a way through the hulk, it will require a detail to disembark and travel on foot to allow the Argo to pass through the vessel. The men are ready, their blades sharp, shields wide, and hearts strong.

Day 58

We have entered the belly of the beast, Iphitos lead his men in a boarding action opening a great portal on the leading edge of the hulk wide enough for a Frigate to enter. The Argo has slipped in on thrusters Tiphys proving his mastery as he piloted through the structure.

Day 59

we have passed three such portals now, with Iphitos' men shadowing us on foot opening the way forward. Their reports are worrying, there are no signs of life in any vessel they have traversed but this path is not natural as it cleaves through vessels as if bored by some great worm. 

Day 61

I have lost contact with Iphitos and his team, i trust the men at his side but worry knots my guts.

Day 61.1

Vox contact has been made with Menoetius the second in command of the section. They have made contact with the enemy.

YQEYbFT.jpg

Menoetius long has he served at my side, I know him to be a solid warrior and I was happy to see his promotion through the ranks.

7ziyBX3.jpg

Philoctetes of Meliboea was a scout before he joined the legion, as a child he would race ahead of the hunting parties of his home spotting quarry for the elders. His talents translated well in later life, he spotted many an ambush before they could be sprung.

LeLcP0U.jpg

Eurpemus went with them, i pity any foe to find themselves in his sights.

4SxXzbv.jpg

I know very little of Butes, i was very surprised to learn that he once spent a tour of duty beekeeping at the palace on Calth. Beekeeping?

X021pW7.jpg

Leitus poor Leitus, he used to be known as the heart of my company he would share jokes he had learned from the humans, the auxilia and defence forces. However, he blamed himself and his relaxed nature for an ambush that cost the lives of several brothers. He censured himself denied any attempts at alternative punishments. We were to deliver him to Calth just before this all started.

(sorry for the poor images)

• 4 weeks later...

Day 61.2

Vox contact has been made with Iphitos, they have been ambushed by a sizable force of Word Bearers and auxiliar forces. The portal controls on their level have been destroyed and are inoperable, Tech-adept Hylas has identified a secondary cogitator nexus several thousand feet below but Iphitos doesn't believe he can reach in. I am taking the men to join him and leaving Tiphys on the Argo.

I hope nothing happens to her while i am gone.

If there is a mould to cast Ultramarines then Iphitos was the master used to make it. I have never met an astarte more ridgid in his following of doctrine and rote.

His operations at Thebes VII are required reading at the PDF acadamies on the 500 worlds.

jC3wgHa.jpg

j2VSBHj.jpg

Edited by sarabando

Karruk howled as he slammed what used to be his arm against the weakling sending the Ultramarine flying into a wall of pipes that hissed steam in protest. Twisted and reformed by the true nature of the universe Karruk and his bothers towered over the dogs of man and had forced the small group back into the corridor. His prey got to his feet and with the help of another stumbled back to the group shaking his red helmet to clear the ringing noise. karruk, Gordun and Ablek leered at their prey karruk unhinged his jaw that was once the vox grill of his helmet, letting a low growl grow into a bestial roar strong enough to make men's hearts stop and their blood freeze. Behind him he could hear the cheering and roars of the mortals who served him, maggots and wretches all. He roared again his jaw so wide it could swallow a man whole.

The response he got was not the one he had craved, instead of breaking and fleeing before him the group moved as one forming a double lined wall of shields that clattered against each other, the strange designs of animals, shapes and faces unknown to Karruk.

"Perduro!" Barked the leader and as one the front rank dropped forward onto a knee the glittering points of biting powerswords appearing between the cracks of the shield wall.

"Enough." Gurgled Ablek blood still gushing like a fountain from the gash in his throat he had sustained. He lurched forward bringing both arms above his head to smash the pitiful show of resistance. His arms slamed down into blue ceramite with a dull ring. In shock he stepped back nearly tripping as he scrambled to get away from the newcomer. A dull red glow burned from its eyes as it rose, with each step it spoke its voice harsh and distorted by a vox speaker.

"I stood at the walls of tyrants."

"Prorsus!" The shield wall barked and stepped forward once in his wake.

"I burnt the cities of Gods!" Ancient servos whirred as it walked.

"Prorsus!" Iphitos ordered again his men stepped forward. 

"At Erymanthus i slew Xenos  and traitor!."

The three blessed children of lorgar all withdrew in fear knowing the name of the one they faced.

"I am Ancient, I am Death, I am Hercules!" The Dreadnought boomed coming to its full height throwing its arms wide.

From behind the three warp touched astartes appeared a three armed mutant oblivious to what danger it faced. Through a twisted voice box, it squawked as it raced forward a pair of metal bombs clutched in its gangly limbs. There was a flash of gold and black and the wretch lay cooling on the deck plate it's head separate from its neck.

"Sargent Iphitos, we have a door to open." Said Iason Calmly before all hell broke loose around them.

4OxYmqA.jpg

7J686iq.jpg

fJwMztF.jpg

fJfBF8z.jpg

zCnYxIz.jpg

eyeHX0P.jpg

• 2 weeks later...