Codex Predictions + Hopes

WARMASTER_

Is it just the firstborn, or is it anything with the 'Captain' keyword, just like the Dreadnought entry would be with the 'Dreadnought' keyword.

I would think it would work like the Chapter Command upgrades, which work for any officer with that keyword.

Great news then!

Unless there's some new rules that come with Rites of Initiation or Inner Circle, it's largely only for re-roll aura's from Belial/Strikemaster and to include them in a pure Deathwing detachment (assuming they get the Deathwing keyword) that you'd upgrade the vehicles right?  Unless I'm missing something other than rule of cool of course?  

Unless there's some new rules that come with Rites of Initiation or Inner Circle, it's largely only for re-roll aura's from Belial/Strikemaster and to include them in a pure Deathwing detachment (assuming they get the Deathwing keyword) that you'd upgrade the vehicles right?  Unless I'm missing something other than rule of cool of course?  

There must be something new for veichles cause paying 10 points only to be able to put a veichle into a DW detachments is crazy cause i could take a Greenwing detachment instead and have all veichles (painted in bone) for less points

Technicaly in an army where all models have the DARK ANGELS keyword i can embark DW models from a Vanguard detachment also on veichles from another detachment right? cause this would open to a DW detachment of only TDA and BGV while all transport and dreads are from a supporting green wing detachment that has just the troops units to act like objectives holders and the HQ in TDA to go along the DW detachment

Edited by Master Sheol

Ok, I am extremely excited that we are finally going to have our Deathwing Lieutenants!

At the same time, they feel somewhat expensive... At a base cost of 95, it's almost the cost of a TDA Master, and I would expect these guys to have considerably worse stats.

Still, this is GREAT news.

Ok, I am extremely excited that we are finally going to have our Deathwing Lieutenants!

At the same time, they feel somewhat expensive... At a base cost of 95, it's almost the cost of a TDA Master, and I would expect these guys to have considerably worse stats.

That's an interesting point, and I'd suggest the difference arises for two reasons:

1. Although the TDA Master gets the DEATHWING keyword, they do not (as yet) get the Inner Circle ability. I suspect that's what you'll get when you pay your +20points for Rites of Initiation
  2. I'm expecting the Strikemaster to have a unique DEATHWING-specific ability above the Tactical Precision ability that all Lieutenants have - similar to the Talonmaster's No Escape ability.  

That's an interesting point, and I'd suggest the difference arises for two reasons:

• Although the TDA Master gets the DEATHWING keyword, they do not (as yet) get the Inner Circle ability. I suspect that's what you'll get when you pay your +20points for Rites of Initiation.
  • I'm expecting the Strikemaster to have a unique DEATHWING-specific ability above the Tactical Precision ability that all Lieutenants have - similar to the Talonmaster's No Escape ability.

1. Rites of Initiation is to give DEATHWING keyword and rules to models that doesn't have it. If it was to give IC to units they don't have it from the SM Codex it would list valso the Terminator Ancient and TDA Librarian too

2. I totally agree there

1. Although the TDA Master gets the DEATHWING keyword, they do not (as yet) get the Inner Circle ability. I suspect that's what you'll get when you pay your +20points for Rites of Initiation
  2. I'm expecting the Strikemaster to have a unique DEATHWING-specific ability above the Tactical Precision ability that all Lieutenants have - similar to the Talonmaster's No Escape ability.  

Its a good point. Perhaps this is the way to get back Deathwing Assault?

Its a good point. Perhaps this is the way to get back Deathwing Assault?

That's an interesting one...I have been trying to think of what the buff might be, and something shooting related might be right. If we retain the same stats/stratagems/relics as the Index, then we already have enough melee punch. Maybe something like, "any DEATHWING unit within 6" can shoot twice"? Might have the condition of remaining stationary, but it would allow you to drop some Deathwing with a Strikemaster onto an objective, and they'd be an immovable force with good ranged shooting to go with it.

I think it’s unlikely that they’d combine the DEATHWING keyword and Inner Circle ability together, as this would reduce flexibility. My feeling is that GW is using the Inner Circle ability (and Jink ability too) to encourage First Born armies, and as such I think they don’t want Bladeguard Veterans running around with always-on Transhuman Physiology.

The other thing going on in my mind is that if the points leak is a reflection of our final Codex, then it doesn’t look as though we have any of our names characters crossing the Rubicon. This is probably a good thing as it suggests a later campaign supplement that will both advance the story (Luther/Marbas/Fallen) and give rise to some new units.

Also, I can’t work out if the Strikemaster will have its own model with multiple configurations - like Lazarus - or whether there will be an upgrade sprue like for the Ravenwing Talonmaster. A new model would be great, but the experience of the Blood Angels and Space Wolves suggests an upgrade sprue...

I think it’s unlikely that they’d combine the DEATHWING keyword and Inner Circle ability together, as this would reduce flexibility. My feeling is that GW is using the Inner Circle ability (and Jink ability too) to encourage First Born armies, and as such I think they don’t want Bladeguard Veterans running around with always-on Transhuman Physiology.

The other thing going on in my mind is that if the points leak is a reflection of our final Codex, then it doesn’t look as though we have any of our names characters crossing the Rubicon. This is probably a good thing as it suggests a later campaign supplement that will both advance the story (Luther/Marbas/Fallen) and give rise to some new units.

Also, I can’t work out if the Strikemaster will have its own model with multiple configurations - like Lazarus - or whether there will be an upgrade sprue like for the Ravenwing Talonmaster. A new model would be great, but the experience of the Blood Angels and Space Wolves suggests an upgrade sprue...

The must give BGV IC rule too if they want them to be real DW

They already don't have Teleport Strike

If they dont give them at least IC too they have only one role: to be thrown in the trash bin :P

Yes, no new units now will be good cause they will force us to get a new book to introduce new things

Like PA:RotD that was invalidated less than one year after published :P

Like the Talonmaster that you assemble using the RW upgrade sprue the Strikemaster will be assemlbed using the DW sprues ;)

I suspect this means the DA box will include some termies

The combat patrol?

No, it will include only primaris marines like all the other ones

Yeah, we should not be expecting ANY firstborn models for Marines to be a part of any kind of Start Collecting box, Combat Patrol box, or any other bundle of any kind.