Speed Freeks list

xenomortis

Hi,

I need a new army for a fresh challenge, both on the table and in terms of painting / modelling. There are only so many black, power armoured marines you can paint without getting a little bored...

I would really like to run an ork speed freeks list. Loads of bikes and buggies, possibly a couple of battlewagons. I would like to do this without running any infantry - completely mechanised.

Is there a way to run this on the tabletop, without entering a 2k point game with literally 0cp?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Goonhammer has a pretty good article with a few sample lists including a deathskulls vehicle list near the end of the page. Might be what you are looking for.

https://www.goonhammer.com/9th-edition-faction-focus-orks/

I'm not the best to comment on lists generally for Orks as I've recently started playing them and am more focused on painting/collecting than gaming.

Yes, it is possible. The list @lhg033 mentions features 13 vehicles and 11 bikers, with not a single Infantry model in sight. And because it fits into one Outrider detachment, it still starts a 2k game with 9CP (actually, 6 after pre-game stratagems; still good).

A few words of advice, all my opinion and not really experience (damn you, pandemic!):

• Nob Bikers > Warbikers. Higher base strength, more wounds, more attacks, and you can get 9 nobs for the price of 10 warbikers. No contest.
  • Bonebreakers > Battlewagon/Gunwagon. Since you aren't transporting any Infantry, you don't need the extra capacity of the battlewagon, and I think the d6 extra attacks on the charge are well worth the extra points. In my experience (in 8th), the extra attacks meant that even on the lowest bracket, Bonebreakas were dangerous on the charge. As for gunwagons, I'm just not a fan of the guns available for it at BS5. Not enough shots to make it worthwhile.
  • If you can stomach it, fitting in a kommando unit or two would help a lot with objectives. They're cheap, easy to hide, and come with deep strike natively, meaning they can get on objectives or perform actions with some reliability.

:rolleyes:  pretty much What they said,...

And to add, yeah try and put a couple units of Kommando's in -

1. cause they are super Kool and you can make em look bad ass :cool.:  

2. as toaae said...they are flexible and deep striking  and objective grabbers... and painting up 2 small units isn't going to drive you paint crazy (if that's one of the reasons you were avoiding boyz squads etc :tongue.: )

Remember, 9th is about scoring objectives...you can get wiped later in the game but still win on points :thumbsup:

Cheers, Mithril

:rolleyes:  pretty much What they said,...

And to add, yeah try and put a couple units of Kommando's in -

1. cause they are super Kool and you can make em look bad ass :cool.:  

2. as toaae said...they are flexible and deep striking  and objective grabbers... and painting up 2 small units isn't going to drive you paint crazy (if that's one of the reasons you were avoiding boyz squads etc :tongue.: )

Remember, 9th is about scoring objectives...you can get wiped later in the game but still win on points :thumbsup:

Cheers, Mithril

I'm sorry Mithril, but those Kommandos almost sent me spiralling over the edge! :p If you can get the metal version of the Kommandos you are golden but they converted the same models to resin and there are so many gates on them I almost gave up on them. They all have to be carved away carefully and if you miss any you have to cut them away and re-paint the area that needed seeing to. I would recommend the Kommando upgrade kit from Forge World but I don't think they even make that anymore. That was a lot easier to work with.

However, I can certainly agree that on paper that Kommandos sound like a good idea in theory (since my army hasn't been tested yet it is just a theory for me).

@Magos Takatus - So sorry... I meant converted Kommando's from boyz look Kool :cool.:  Not the other things...:sick:

Apologies for scaring you like that... :tongue.:

@ Xenomortis - Good luck with whatever you get and build, we'd love to see it on here when you do !! , perhaps start a build Plog here in the Ork Forum!?...

cheers, Mithril

@Magos Takatus - So sorry... I meant converted Kommando's from boyz look Kool :cool.:  Not the other things...:sick:

@ Xenomortis - Good luck with whatever you get and build, we'd love to see it on here when you do !! , perhaps start a build Plog here in the Ork Forum!?...

cheers, Mithril

@Mithrilforge -  Yep, there's interesting bits on the Kromlech site that make some potentially cool Kommandos. Don't get me wrong, I think the actual Kommando sculpts are nice, but they were a pain to work with. Also, good idea about the plog. I'd like to see what Xenomortis can do as well. :)

cheers, Mithril

@Mithrilforge -  Yep, there's interesting bits on the Kromlech site that make some potentially cool Kommandos. Don't get me wrong, I think the actual Kommando sculpts are nice, but they were a pain to work with. Also, good idea about the plog. I'd like to see what Xenomortis can do as well. :smile.:

Lets not forget Spellcrow - this is for Xenomortis as well :wink:  they have some awesome ork flyer heads and goggled ones etc as well as beret heads and WW2 British Commando style beanie heads! .

Cheers Mithril 

A few years a go I had a large goff army, but sold it on. I had a bits box rammed with 3rd party bits from Spellcrow, Max Mini, Kromlech and various others. I don't regret selling the army as it paid for my imperial knights, but now I only own Deathwatch and Knights and a xenos army is calling out to me again. I think having played goffs in the past I want to do something completely different this time. Also the thought of painting 100+ boyz again is enough to make a grown man cry!

I picked up a box of bikers at a bargain price last week which is the starting point. Also called into GW last week for the ork flesh paints. I think it may take a while to get this army to where I want it due to the expense of it, but something to work towards.

I will start a thread once I get up and running. Thanks again for the help!

Lets not forget Spellcrow - this is for Xenomortis as well :wink:  they have some awesome ork flyer heads and goggled ones etc as well as beret heads and WW2 British Commando style beanie heads! .

Cheers Mithril 

Good call! I forgot about Spellcrow somehow. I don't know if I've used any of their parts or not. Edit: Wow! They have Kommando heads that mimic the original Kommando models! https://www.spellcrow.com/komando-orcs-heads-p-415.html I am seriously tempted to get the flying goggles Orks for my Stormboys to give them a tiny bit more variety.

@xenomortis - I can certainly see the appeal in skipping the large bucket of boys models. Whereas you're going for buggies I'm going for Dreadnoughts. I don't think I could face painting 200-odd standard Goffs. I think that would bring me to tears too! :biggrin.:

Edit: Just noticed I was discussing the exact same heads Mithril was talking about. I must have been too excited to manage reading comprehension. Whoops!

Edited by Magos Takatus

Hi,

I need a new army for a fresh challenge, both on the table and in terms of painting / modelling. There are only so many black, power armoured marines you can paint without getting a little bored...

I would really like to run an ork speed freeks list. Loads of bikes and buggies, possibly a couple of battlewagons. I would like to do this without running any infantry - completely mechanised.

Is there a way to run this on the tabletop, without entering a 2k point game with literally 0cp?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

I run a mobile fully mechanised deathskulls

• I like the bikers but they don't do much - Nob Bikers are better.
  • I find the buggies are good, especially the Scrapjet. (I have two boomdakka's and find them good but i know thats not the normal thoughts)
  • deffkilla wartrike goes really well in my lists and can run really well.
  • I have then added Nobs and Grots into my list and will put them in the Trukk etc.

• 2 months later...

Oh wow !, super awesome !!

Thanks for posting your work update, very cool looking army there ;-)

Cheers, Mithril

++EDIT++ forgot to say , I love your basing !

Edited by mithrilforge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...