Rubric Loadout

eternal_warrior12

Greetings to all of you glamorous ashtrays. I’ve made the leap because of primaris fatigue. Honestly love them but damn I’ve painted a LOT (30 intercessors alone) since the lockdown. I need a change... hahaha

Coming from black templars I can’t think of a bigger 180 and am in need of some multi headed guidance. I have 5 scarab terminators, because how cool are they, but I need help as to how to equip my rubric Marines. Bolters or flamers. Both are proper killy but if they get bumped to 12” a full unit would make the salamanders blush.

Also does the chaos sorcerer lord kit fit with the T.Sons esthetic? Thank you all in advance.

Welcome to the Sons :D Flamers are good but caution is always needed on upgrades like this - you don't want to have warp flamers galore only to find that one day GW makes this really expensive or some other spanner in the works. My rule of thumb is one in a squad but I will in time get the option to increase this to two in places. As Ulfast says cost is a consideration for an expensive army as well as range.

If you took a flamer heavy squad they'd need a Rhino to ensure they get into range quickly, and this would be a bit of a one trick pony opponents would adapt to (and relentlessly target). I think that if you wanted a flamer squad you'd still want the majority to be bolters. I'd say if you wanted lots of flamers the best approach is to spread them around your squads.

With regards to models, the Sons aesthetic is very strong (and great) so the more generic Chaos infantry don't fit as well. Plus the Exalted Sorcerers box is fantastic, so I'd look there first (also lots of bits to spruce up your Aspiring Sorcerers) :)

Have you thought about colours for your thrallband? Don't forget pictures :tu:

I haven't built any rubrics so I cannot offer specifics but a magnet in the right arm and the hand should work, the weapon rests on the other arm. If the left hand is too tight, heat it and bend it a bit.

If the instructions call for different arms of the special/heavy weapon, magnetize at the shoulder.

Yes, I think that's the way forward. The ammo is rather snug against the left hand for easy changing of weapons so a little extra room added somehow would help. The SRC is too big for the same so would need to be at the shoulder but fortunately you get spare shoulder pads so this isn't a bit deal :)

• 6 months later...

Going through my box now. Is this to say that they aren't glued down, you sort of just position them in place without magnets or anything? I was dry fitting last night and was a bit surprised that it seemed to hold without glue.

Just as a side note, actually most of my rubrics have the guns just press fitted into place. I swap flamers, bolters and even the assault cannon is swappable. The only down side to this is it is possible to lose a smaller weapon in transit.

I figure I am going to have 3 10 man Rubric squads in total. wondering if I should figure out the mix or just leave it so I can switch out bolters, flamers, cannon.

GW actually did a decent job with making all the weapons capable of fitting the same arm position. I glue the right arm into place and magnetize the left arm to be able to swap all the arms in and out(and put a smaller magnet in the light arm hand). Works pretty well. Especially when you slide the soulreaper in and out due to the gap being so tiny that if you get too rough with it, it could run the fingers too much when you swap. Even the icon is magnetized with a super tiny magnet. Having this flexibility I feel is super crucial since the weapon differences in utility are night and day and I anticipated the meta swinging around with this sort of thing. 

Edited by Ahzek451

since the RuBrick of 20 Rubric Marines is going away in the new book, I don't think there's a lot of incentive to ONLY use bolters. I'm anticipating that Veterans of the Long War will go to 2 CP and I'm not sure how worth it that would be on a unit of 10 Rubrics with boltguns.

10 Rubrics with 9x Warpflamers in a Rhino, or Webway/teleporting if those are still options (should be) is pretty tasty when you pop Vets for even 2 CP though... .at 12", like you mention.

I think it is safe to have a unit with Warpflamers in preparation for those situations. I have glued mine very lightly just in the wrist with plastic glue. If I want to change them out, it won't be a hard swap and they don't suffer any wear and tear with normal gaming since we usually grab the back or the fancy head crests to move Rubrics around.

since the RuBrick of 20 Rubric Marines is going away in the new book, I don't think there's a lot of incentive to ONLY use bolters. I'm anticipating that Veterans of the Long War will go to 2 CP and I'm not sure how worth it that would be on a unit of 10 Rubrics with boltguns.

10 Rubrics with 9x Warpflamers in a Rhino, or Webway/teleporting if those are still options (should be) is pretty tasty when you pop Vets for even 2 CP though... .at 12", like you mention.

Death guard lost veterans of the long war. It appears GW is doing a decent job in relation to making the legions more divergent from their chaos kin. The first round of codex books witnessed a similar set of strats across T.sons, D.Guard, and codex chaos marines. And judging off of the latest codex D.Guard, I would say we are going to lose access to the generic chaos marine psychic discipline, and core strats. We will have our own unique set. I think we are going to lose VOTLW. Perhaps an altered version like the D.Guard. Like you were saying, change in CP and maybe how it is worded. Hopefully not lost altogether. 

that is a lot of dedication for the magnets. hats off to you.

Ooooooh I am a magnet glutton. If a model has an option, I will magnetize it. I don't have the patience to paint a whole new figure just to have a different option and I have spent too long in this hobby/game to know that things swing around and its nice to have options and future proof an army. 

Don't let me get into my pet peeve of not having a good way to model an extra combi bolter on a rhino or making one of them a combi-melt/flamer. Does anyone notice that we have access to plasma pistols, but not combi-plasma? Everyone else gets combi-plas but we don't for 2 codex books in a row now. This drove me up a wall so much that it caused me to 3d design and create my own options. Bite me GW. It's been over a decade and still you have not included the options in the kit. /rant 

apologies. 

Edited by Ahzek451

Honestly I stopped questioning weapon options for chaos along time ago. Always seems inconsistent compared to loyalist. Like why do deathguard have zero missile launchers yet blight haulers have them. Why did thousand sons lose all of their guns and only have flamers lol some chaos units can take plasma others can’t, some take melta, others can’t. All of chaos lost thunder hammers and storm shields? At least deathguard have some nurgle weapons to balance out.

TSons have what 3 battle line options? Bolter, flamer, and soul reaper, then scarab occult glue two bolters together.

Edited by WickedJester1013