9th Thunderwolf Cav Loadout and Squad Size

Chazzmos

What do you think is the optimum TWC loadout and size?

I haven't run them before 9th, but I'm thinking 4 TWC: 2 x CS/SS, 2 x PF/BP

The CS/SS are ablative and chaff, PF is heavy punching but at a good price point.

What are you thinking for your TWC in 9th?

I think SS for everyone is mandatory, except maybe for a leader with dual frost claws.

I would go with a fist on the leader, 1+ chainswords, rest claws as points allow.

Squad size 4 or 5. Definitely not 6, coherency would be a PITA and 3 are not enough

4-5 seems to be about right. A 3-man squad is too easy to take below effective strength with a couple of failed saves while 6 becomes vulnerable to blast.

For the leader I would either go TH/SS or 2 Claws with the Thane Stratagem to make then Frost Claws.

For the rest of the squad I would take shields and either single Claws or Fists depending on whether you are planning to mulch infantry or tackle heavier targets.

It sounds like SS are the go on all of them.  I suppose for 5 points, it makes the model that much more durable.   Having claws or fists on them as well pumps their points up quite a bit, but it is a super elite unit.

The dual frost claws looks very nasty on the leader, that's a lot of attacks with multiple damage and re-rolling wounds.  Makes him good against most things.

To be fair, a single LC is only +5 points but it actually makes the model so much better than a CS. You still get the +1A but gain an extra point of AP as well as rerolls to Wound. Point-for-point they are actually more efficient than Chainswords, even if you are just blending chaff with them.

Dual Frost Claws are very nasty indeed. The stat line compares very favourably with Teeth of Terra (which is a very popular relic). Although they have 1 less attack, they reroll wounds which is big, particularly against tough opponents.

The other thing to consider when loading out your TWC is what level of character support you intend to provide them. LCs will hit on a 2+ on the charge and can reroll wounds so make for a squad that can operate with minimal support. They just don't need much to help to get stuck in and start killing things. On the other hand, if you are loading out with Fists/Hammers then you might want to consider a Wolf Lord or even Chapter Master. Full rerolls to hit with multiple Hammers/Fists will make a big mess of tough targets.

A Thunder Master With Armour Indomintus, Iron Resolve WLT and a SS is one of the tankiest characters in the game. 9W, T5 and 1+/4++/6+++. He is as tough as you can go while still benefiting from LOS.

Edited by Karhedron

I've just finished assembling a five man unit - have gone for 2x Storm Shields and Chainswords, 1 with a Shield and Power Fist and one with a Shield and Thunder Hammer. The Pack Leader has dual Lightning Claws, which will pretty much always be upgraded to Frost Claws.

Think this gives a good balance of allowing them to take on all comers, with a couple of ablative wounds in terms of the Chainswords models. Also gives you a tonne of attacks to chop through hordes, whilst still having enough punch to go after elite units.

Of course, the fact that I'm backing them up with a Wolf Priest on a bike with MoS, Hunter and the Relic Crozius probably helps there...

Armor Indomitus and Pelt of the Balewolf? is there a way to give 2 relics to the same character?

Sorry, I am getting muddled up with my other Chapter (Blood Angels) who do have a way to give a Character 2 relics. Wolves can get a 2nd WLT via Warrior of Legend.

Even ditching the Pelt, that is a very tanky character. I will amend the OP.

Armor Indomitus and Pelt of the Balewolf? is there a way to give 2 relics to the same character?

Sorry, I am getting muddled up with my other Chapter (Blood Angels) who do have a way to give a Character 2 relics. Wolves can get a 2nd WLT via Warrior of Legend.

Even ditching the Pelt, that is a very tanky character. I will amend the OP.

Dang, I was hoping I missed something and there was a way to give my dual claw WGBL armor of Russ and frost claws. Oh well...

I still use them as chaff clearing and shield for my army. So i try to keep them s bit cheap since they will die first. Two units of 4 (5if i have the points) with cs and ss and a thunderhammer on the packleader. Quickly rush up the board to grab an objective and hold it till the backup (bloodclaws and wulfen dreads) come to do the real damage. Edited by yan

They get so expensive so quick. Even with shields, dedicated shooting units can delete them in one turn, sending almost 300 points to the dust bin.

I mostly use Primaris, but if I do use the TWs I like keeping them cheap and hoping to get the charge off. If you hit the sweet spot of having them be non threatening, they may just get to charge. I small unit of 3 with chainswords can still do damage if it hits the line.

Summary: keep them small and cheap. The bells and whistles you can add to them only makes them more of a target priority and doesn’t really make them any more survivable.