Relentless assault 12

Direct assault (mission secondary) 15

Necron primaries 25

Purge the vermin 5

While we stand we fight 5

Assassinate 12

Lawrence’s list

++ Battalion Detachment -3CP (Necrons) [75 PL, 1,542pts, 7CP] ++

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP [-3CP]

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Novokh

Gametype: Matched

+ HQ +

Chronomancer [4 PL, 80pts]: Entropic Lance, Relic: Veil of Darkness

Lord [5 PL, 70pts, -1CP]: Dynastic Heirlooms, Relic: Voltaic Staff, Staff of Light

Technomancer [4 PL, 90pts, -1CP]: Canoptek Control Node, Rarefied Nobility, Warlord Trait (Codex 4): Thrall of the Silent King

+ Troops +

Immortals [4 PL, 85pts]: Gauss Blaster, 5x Immortal

Necron Warriors [6 PL, 130pts]

. 10x Necron Warrior (Gauss Flayer): 10x Gauss Flayer

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 247pts]

. 19x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 19x Gauss Reaper

+ Elites +

Deathmarks [8 PL, 180pts]

. 10x Deathmark: 10x Synaptic Disintegrator

Skorpekh Destroyers [10 PL, 210pts]

. 2x Skorpekh Destroyer (Reap-Blade): 2x Hyperphase Reap-Blade

. 4x Skorpekh Destroyer (Thresher): 4x Hyperphase Threshers

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [2 PL, 45pts]

. 3x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 3x Feeder Mandibles

Triarch Praetorians [6 PL, 125pts]: Rod of Covenant, 5x Triarch Praetorian

+ Heavy Support +

Canoptek Doomstalker [7 PL, 140pts]

Canoptek Doomstalker [7 PL, 140pts]

++ Supreme Command Detachment +3CP (Necrons) [23 PL, 450pts, 6CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment CP [3CP]

Dynasty Choice: Dynasty: Szarekhan

+ Primarch | Daemon Primarch | Supreme Commander +

The Silent King [23 PL, 450pts, 3CP]

. 2x Triarchal Menhir: 2x Annihilator Beam

++ Total: [98 PL, 13CP, 1,992pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

This was the big game for me. I’ve played against Lawrence a few times over the last couple of years, enough to know why he is regarded here as one of the top players. We recently played each other in a friendly mini RTT, my first time with the new BA rules and whilst I was utterly whumped, I can say very truthfully that game was a case of me testing his guns without revealing how I would use my list.

Going into this game, I knew how destructive the doomstalkers could be in overwatch. The Silent King himself wasn’t so worrying for me even with his fight last effect aura. I reckoned there were two ways to deal with this list: go for the kill / degrade on the silent king or ignore him and give him nothing left to buff. I decided I would try the second approach. It would mean a full strength silent king running around in mid to late game, but he couldn’t be everywhere at once.

Terrain was spread differently to the previous missions with the obscuring ruins on opposite sides of the board and a huge open area with barely any cover around the centre.

The Flow of Battle

Lawrence won first roll off and chose to be defender. His deployment was a very cagey and cautious process centred around absolutely not leaving any gaps for the smash captain to reach the doomstalkers or silent king. It seemed right then that he was hindering his ability to score primaries. In this hold 1 / hold 2 mission with 5 objectives this seemed to be an early lapse on his part. Perhaps based on his early experience against my smash captain.

I deployed everything obscured with the BGV and terminators ready to move as quick as possible into the centre and hopefully into his DZ the following turn. Scouts and infiltrators went on the left corner objective, same from any turn 1 damage. Incursors went forward on my right behind some ruins, ready to take that objective.

I won the roll off and gave Lawrence first turn.

On the left the scouts hugged cover with the infiltrators until the skorpekhs arrived there from reserve. The infiltrators used Guerrilla tactics to get into hiding for a turn, arriving later in the opposite corner.

In the centre the BGV advanced up then next turn charged the warriors on Lawrence’s objective, netting the full 5 VP for direct assault 2 turns in a row. The priest darted up behind them and risked sivingbehind some crates rather than staying within 3” of the BGV. Lawrence jumped his deathmarks over to the right and they and the doomstalkers put everything into the priest but believe me my dice were showing that BA six so many times and fives too. The priest lived. For now.

On the right the incursors kicked off the fighting by securing that corner with fire support from the terminators, killing the immortals and scarabs. The SG leaped into the cover vacated by the incursors, sanguinor, smash cap and ancient alongside. They went on to storm the necron blob, wiping out the warriors and deathmarks and eventually tying up the doomstalkers. Suppression fire kept one of the doomstalkers unable to fire overwatch. This was just as well, because again and again Lawrence was rolling super hot on overwatch and I was whiffing everything. The priest died. The sanguinor died. The sanguard lost two models. All to overwatch from one doomstalker.

In the end the BGV touched the left hand doomstalker whilst killing his chronomancer and lord, preventing the doonstalkers from using their special ability. To shoot a unit which kills a character. The sanguard were butchered by the silent king but their sacrifice enabled smash captain to get into the other doomstalker under cover of suppression fire.

Turn 4 / 5 saw me taking down both doomstalkers and characters. All that remained was the silent king and something else in that area of the board. The skorpekhs chewed up the terminators on the centre objective and were counter attacked by the intercessors and scouts. Here Lawrence’s luck absolutely maxed out. In the second round of combat he lost 3 of the surviving 4 skorpekhs. Then he rolled disgustingly well on reanimations, bringing back all 3. Cue dead intercessors and scouts.

The outcome was unchanged though, despite both sides suffering huge losses.

Post game thoughts

Talking with Lawrence afterwards and he agreed he gave too much respect to the smash captain, affecting his deployment badly. Suppression fire was critical. I felt I played the game well, used the terrain, was bold and aggressive where needed and cautious where needed. Fully buffed, 5 sanguard removed 20 necron warriors from the table.

What a game! You got nerves of steel Shaezus.

An interesting idea of adding Quake Bolts to the BGV Sergeant. Only 3+, but then you can fire it in CC as well, correct? Was it worth it during your games?

The quake bolts were definitely worth it! I haven't done the exact math but the +1 to hit is better than rerolling 1s by my estimates. It activated enough times in the games I needed it and that shooting in melee was defs a bonus! Against Damien's necrons it made for that savage turn 2 multicharge which killed 5 skorpekhs, a few Lychguard and actually some surviving wraiths now i remember. It also made the difference for the sergeant wrecking the triarch in the final turn. Against Chaos he got at least one hit, definitely helped to take down the lord of change. Against Lawrence he missed the first shot but the BGV killed the warriors anyway. Edited by Shaezus

Nikolas said that failing that psychic test decided the game, but I’m not sure.

I think if your gameplan hinges on a single roll...it's not a great gameplan.

Great reports, thanks for sharing, will be maybe trying out some of these tactics. 

You seem to be pretty set on Oath of Moment and relentless assault. I haven't played many games of 9th, but struggled to see how I'd keep enough units in the 'wholly' middle of the board to score it - many objectives have been things like ransack, or in a cross from the middle, but not in the middle itself. Do you think engage on all fronts could synergise with relentless assault better? Or possibly linebreaker?

Edit: Those are all competing for battlefield supremacy roles, so mutually exclusive. Still have the oaths issue, though. 

Edited by Xenith

Nikolas said that failing that psychic test decided the game, but I’m not sure.

I think if your gameplan hinges on a single roll...it's not a great gameplan.

Great reports, thanks for sharing, will be maybe trying out some of these tactics.

You seem to be pretty set on Oath of Moment and relentless assault. I haven't played many games of 9th, but struggled to see how I'd keep enough units in the 'wholly' middle of the board to score it - many objectives have been things like ransack, or in a cross from the middle, but not in the middle itself. Do you think engage on all fronts could synergise with relentless assault better? Or possibly linebreaker?

Edit: Those are all competing for battlefield supremacy roles, so mutually exclusive. Still have the oaths issue, though.

Agreed! I don't know if it was an optimal list or not, but it certainly seemed to miss something. I think I played a similar list a few months back which also had plague marines and a keeper of secrets.

My take on Oaths of Moment is, in this list there are the phobos, scouts and ATVs which can occupy the centre in turn 1. In the missions with a central objective I'll be scoring twice over. In the others, if the opponent puts firepower on the centre units then he's not shooting me off an objective.

It scores every round so if I'm going second, it should be a guaranteed 4 VP for the first turn.

SM with small units are more likely to die before they can fail a morale check, and falling back isn't a thing for this list. For me this half of the VP is as safe as taking deploy scramblers. Wth the exception of the Sanguinor. I've found that with a maximum possible 20VP, it's usually affordable to use his fall back and still exceed the 15VP

Edited by Shaezus

Would +1 to wound have made all that difference? I hardly think so. With regards to the Flames of Mutation stratagem, it does not matter that the flickering flames (+1 to wound) failed to maifest. Because FoM does mortals on unmodified 6s

And grats on the win and thanks for taking the time to post in "your" thread. I´ve followed it with interest the last 3 weeks or so. Even before the tournament it was a good read.

Edit: vs the chaos daemons, your sang ancient spent a few rounds in combat, without getting shot up by the flamers? Or did they you engange the flamers with multiple units and kept the SA further away than your other engaged models? Just askin because i have found ongoing combats vs flamers painful, their weapons are pistol d6 after all :-)

Edited by Are Verlo

Would +1 to wound have made all that difference? I hardly think so. With regards to the Flames of Mutation stratagem, it does not matter that the flickering flames (+1 to wound) failed to maifest. Because FoM does mortals on unmodified 6s

And grats on the win and thanks for taking the time to post in "your" thread. I´ve followed it with interest the last 3 weeks or so. Even before the tournament it was a good read.

Edit: vs the chaos daemons, your sang ancient spent a few rounds in combat, without getting shot up by the flamers? Or did they you engange the flamers with multiple units and kept the SA further away than your other engaged models? Just askin because i have found ongoing combats vs flamers painful, their weapons are pistol d6 after all :-)

Thanks so much for your positive feedback! Very useful insights there too. I rarely face chaos daemons but I understand Nikolas is a long time chaos player. Maybe it's my error and he did actually say MWs on 6s

As for the sang ancient and the flamers, I'm really trying to recall exactly what happened. For example I can't remember anything about the Sanguinor in that game. I just don't recall him doing anything or even being on the table. Maybe I used him to HI and Angel's sacrifice when the LoC hit the bladeguard.

Edit - I know the sang ancient buffed himself that turn, so 4 attacks hitting and wounding on 2s. The sanguard were still locked with the surviving nurgle beasts. Perhaps the flamers failed morale and maybe lost another to attrition?

Then again I don't recall the ancient joining the sanguard on the chaos DZ objective afterwards. So maybe it's more likely that the terminators finished them in shooting before they joined the BGV in the fight with the LoC.

The foggy memory of war lol

Edited by Shaezus

Would you go to 2 squads of BGV (if you had the models) now that you've had some games with the terminators?

Btw I know I pointed out the whirlwind doesn't block counter offensive strat, but in light of the new FAQ for rare rules, I'm more and more convinced that GW just has different writers writing rules and that they intend that they do the same thing. Otherwise the rare rules section doesn't cover "select an eligible" nonsense at all except for the new clarification that counter offensive can't be used.

Would you go to 2 squads of BGV (if you had the models) now that you've had some games with the terminators?

Btw I know I pointed out the whirlwind doesn't block counter offensive strat, but in light of the new FAQ for rare rules, I'm more and more convinced that GW just has different writers writing rules and that they intend that they do the same thing. Otherwise the rare rules section doesn't cover "select an eligible" nonsense at all except for the new clarification that counter offensive can't be used.

On the contrary, I'm looking at another squad of terminators instead of 2 BGV. Assault terminators with hammers and shields.

Yeah it's a relief to have suppression fire clarified! tbf the TO had ruled the same for the necron silent kings ability,even though the wording didn't include the select thing. That strategem was crucial for me.

Game 5 vs custodes - sisters

Mission the scouring

Final score 35 – 89 custodes

BA primaries 10

Oaths of moment 5

Strategic scan 10

Relentless assault 0

Custodes primaries 40

Engage on all fronts 12

Strategic scan 15

assassinate?? 12

Al’s list

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [72 PL, 1,419pts, 11CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP

Shield Host: Shadowkeepers

+ HQ +

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 175pts, -1CP]: Auric Aquilas, Captain-Commander, Salvo Launcher, Strategic Mastermind, Superior Creation, Warlord

+ Troops +

Sagittarum Custodians [7 PL, 159pts]

. Sagittarum Custodian: Misericordia

+ Elites +

Allarus Custodians [12 PL, 260pts]

. Allarus Custodian: Guardian Spear

+ Fast Attack +

Venatari Custodians [16 PL, 275pts]

. Venatari Custodian

. . Kinetic Destroyer and Tarsus Buckler

. Venatari Custodian

. Venatari Custodian

. Venatari Custodian

. Venatari Custodian

+ Heavy Support +

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought [14 PL, 275pts]: Arachnus Storm Cannon

. Telemon Caestus

Telemon Heavy Dreadnought [14 PL, 275pts]: Arachnus Storm Cannon

. Telemon Caestus

++ Spearhead Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adepta Sororitas) [27 PL, 579pts, -5CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment CP [-3CP]

Order Convictions: Order: Bloody Rose

+ Stratagems +

Open the Reliquaries [-1CP]: Additional Relics of the Ecclesiarchy

+ HQ +

Canoness [3 PL, 50pts, -1CP]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Heroine in the Making, Relic: Beneficence, Warlord Trait: 2. Righteous Rage

+ Elites +

Death Cult Assassins [1 PL, 26pts]

. 2x Death Cult Assassins: 2x Death Cult power blades

Geminae Superia [1 PL, 18pts]: Geminae Superia

+ Fast Attack +

Seraphim Squad [4 PL, 95pts]

. 2x Seraphim: 4x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades

. Seraphim Superior: Bolt pistol, Bolt pistol

. Seraphim w/ Special Weapons: 2x Inferno Pistols

. Seraphim w/ Special Weapons: 2x Inferno Pistols

+ Heavy Support +

Mortifiers [6 PL, 120pts]

. Mortifiers: 2x Heavy bolter, 2x Penitent Flails

Mortifiers [6 PL, 120pts]

Retributor Squad [6 PL, 150pts]: 2x Armourium Cherub

. Retributor Superior: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

++ Total: [99 PL, 6CP, 1,998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

This is where the steam ran out. I truly did not focus at all before the game. I had only played this mission once previously, when 9th was first released. In the pre – tournament prep i recognised it as the bogey map for my army but come the final game of the tournament, I did little more than show up. I’d won convincingly in my three recent games vs custodes and the only real difference here was the second telemon and the sisters elements in place of more custodians.

The map is totally unsuited to the playstyle I used in the other games yet I just went ahead and tried to do relentless assault, despite the much smaller DZs, and I didn’t even bother to deep strike anything. Terrain was the most open of all the maps, with the ruins in the corners and the central objective bracketed by two crates on either side. Not enough to give LoS cover to any of my characters.

The DZs are 28” apart. With no means of being able to deploy in cover yet still able to reach the centre and then on to his DZ turn 2, I should have adapted and put at least the sanguard and terminators in reserve.

I’m not going to write a detailed report on this because it was so one sided it doesn’t need one. As usually happens when I make mistakes, my dice blow raspberries at me. I targeted the venatari with the Sanguard, terminators, intercessors and whirlwind. Didn’t kill a single model. Terminators whiffed an 8” charge and the reroll, leaving the bladeguard to be outnumbered outclassed and chopped up.

I made a beeline for the centre objective with the SG and characters but the venatari, having laughed at the firepower i threw at them, popped the double shoot strat. 40 plasma – equivalent shots and the SG were gone, allowing one telemon to kill the smash cap and Sanguinor. The other telemon single handedly shot up the terminators in dense cover. In my first roll of half a dozen or so 4+ saves i failed all, then in the next roll of 7 or 8 I passed 2. He dropped the sisters melta squad unopposed into my DZ and got the perfect 11 damage to destroy the whirlwind. His retributors and other stuff took down the infiltrators. Perhaps my worst decision was winning the roll off and giving him first turn.

Talking with Al afterwards and it turns out this list was unbeaten until this tournament. His only loss was a 5 – point loss vs necrons. So Al got 2nd place and I was a mere 11 VP ahead.

On the positive side, I learned much about how to approach this mission in future.

Post - tournament thoughts and changes

The two main things were the terrain and the mostly assault - orientated lists I faced. If all the ruins were windowed, the "everything on the board" strategy would surely be more difficult against shooty armies. Then again with the way 9th seems to have toned down the more powerful shooty units - Leviathan and vindicator laser destroyer spring to mind - maybe it could be factored in.

Worth also remebering that the custodes lists and the DG list that got 4th place were still using their old rules. There's a few factions oit there that still benefit from this.

As for my army, it was an absolute joy to play. Of course I'm miffed about losing 3D6 charge from deep strike and losing the old UWoF. But that +1 to advance and charge and the +1 to wound gave the games and the combats the BA feel. That strong unit os Sanguinary guard jumping around and wrecking things was pure BA and the bladeguards in assault doctrine in turn 2? Only BA hit like that. It is indeed a thing of beauty.

Suppression fire was such a key part of this list, I don't think I would have won the necron games and maybe the chaos game too without it.

Moving forward, I'm looking at dropping the ATVs, smash captain and sang ancient. A chapter master, a squad of hammernators and plasma inceptors coming in.

Any thoughts and questions are most welcome!

Curious as to how you played the SG and if there were any variances on the play. 

I've found them to be my most lackluster unit when I use them - but Ive also played vs you using them (twice) and I feel you use them as a unit and as a combo far better than I do. 

Do you strike in? Deploy on board? Does it depend? And if so on what? 

For me, (and for my opponents) they're all too often the targets of multidam, high AP/Str weapons which see them falling very quickly.  How aggressively were they targeted in your games and under what conditions did your play with them change?

Curious as to how you played the SG and if there were any variances on the play.

I've found them to be my most lackluster unit when I use them - but Ive also played vs you using them (twice) and I feel you use them as a unit and as a combo far better than I do.

Do you strike in? Deploy on board? Does it depend? And if so on what?

For me, (and for my opponents) they're all too often the targets of multidam, high AP/Str weapons which see them falling very quickly. How aggressively were they targeted in your games and under what conditions did your play with them change?

I've always started them on the board in 9th. Big change from 8th with the smaller boards and midfield objectives, more so now without 3D6 DoA. It does depend on terrain and the big lesson from this event was I should consider DSing them for the scouring mission. Or on open maps against more shooty armies. Against strong assault armies I'd deploy on the board.

The terrain is key for them. I'll deploy them last and use turn 1 to advance them into terrain out of LoS of serious shooting threats or at least so the oppo can't focus on them with multiple units.

The variance is what I need them to kill and why. Against Damien's necrons they could wipe his whole lychguard in one round, but they were just as effective against the wraiths. Against Lawrence they broke the big warrior blob without allowing reanimations, thus the BGV and smash cap could charge the doomstalkers and deny him VP for WWSWF. Against chaos daemons it was the big unit of nurgle beasts. My first turn was based entirely around luring them to the SG. With them out of the way, his DZ was open to assault.

They totally do get taken down by plasma equivalent or multi dam melee. Without getting into a comparison of SG vs DC and vanvets, it comes down to the heirs of azkaellon rule combined with the priest's chalice and the extra attack the SG have. I need the strongest damage output and the SG deliver that.

Very interested in how your DC work though and I'm by no means fixed on SG

Edit. Unbridled ardour is very very useful if situational. Can flip objectives in the opponent's own turn. Otherwise gives them something to be wary of

Edited by Shaezus

• 2 weeks later...

Got a game in last weekend against the new DG

I'd love to share pics here but I haven't used photobucket in years; it turns out I've exceeded the limit of photos on there so until they go android - friendly and let me delete pics in bulk, or I find another way to share, I'm stuck without them.

I tried to bring a tournament list which would hold out against DG without affecting its performance against other factions, so pretty muxh the reliquary of gathalmor and soulwarden are the only DG - specific aadditions:

Blood Angels Battalion 2000 points

Starting CP 6

Primaris chaplain. Bike. Master of sanctity. Gift of foresight. Rites of war. Visage of death. Canticle of hate. Mantra of strength. 140

Librarian. Chief librarian. Jump pack. Inferno pistol. Psychic mastery. Reliquary of gathalmor. Smite. Unleash rage. Blood boil. quickening 145

Sanguinary priest. Soulwarden. 90

Infiltrators. Helix. 130

Infiltrators. Helix. 130

Infiltrators. 120

Chapter champion. Armour indomitus. 70.

7 x Sanguinary guard. 5 fists 2 swords 235

5 x bladeguard veterans. Sgt quake bolts 175

5 x assault terminators. Homer 220

3 x ATV multimelta 255

3 x plasma inceptors 165

Whirlwind 125

His list:

Mortarions Anvils

Mortarion -gloaming bloat. psychic: miasma. gift of contagion. curse of the leper

Lord of contagion. rotten constitution. explosive outbreak

5 x plague marines

20 poxwalkers

10 poxwalkers

biologus putrifier

foul blightspawn -vats relic

plague surgeon. fugaris helm

10 x blightlord terminators

3 x 1 chaos spawn

3 x 1 foetid bloat drone. fleshmower

final score 57 - 50 to BA

Mission The Scouring

BA primaries 20

oaths of moment 15

domination 12

psychic ritual

DG primaries 20

WWSWF 10

despoiled ground 4

spread the sickness 6

Psychic ritual was clearly a dumb move. I took the chance and on T1 and T2 rolled low even with two CP rerolls. He denied easily and by turn 3 I needed the librarian in the fighting so that was a clear waste and a nice lesson. We actually thought DG had won this but it turned out my opponent had missed the "bubonic astartes" requirement for the despoiled ground secondary. Quite a tough one for what would otherwise be a relatively easy secondary.

This is a hold 2 / hold 3 mission with only 5 objectives, hence very difficult to score primaries. I wanted to practice this mission because it was by far the worst mission for my list at the recent RTT.

With the long deployment and few objectives there would be little room for manouevre. I aimed the terminators at the centre, where they could occupy barricades whilst holding the objective. The deployment was basically both armies facing off along their DZ lines.

I won the roll - off and under the new rules was obliged to go first.

On the flanks I played aggressively with the infiltrators, occupying the objectives near his DZ so he couldn't spread the sickness in turn 1. My aim was to kill both poxwalker units in two turns, forcing him to use more valuable units to stay back and perform the action. My first turn shooting whiffed badly and the infiltrators died in exchange for a single turns delay. In hindsight I should have kept them back and played defensive. Another lesson.

In the centre the battle raged around that objective. I occupied it and didn't concede it all game. By battles end he had only two terminators alive from the 10 man unit. My terminators died and only 2 BGV remained.The ATVs were very useful, absorbing some of his turn 1 charge then falling back and using hit and run tactics to blast one of the drones. The librarian popped his advancing lord of contagion then joined the ATVs in a counter attack onto his left objective, killing the PMs and the foul blightspawn.

The bladeguard stuggled on the left. Over two rounds they could only take another drone down to one wound before retreating to the priest in the centre for revival. On the right, the sanguard went forward with the chaplain alongside. The SG went into the rear of his lines to hit his characters there and a spawn. The curse of the leper reduced them to S3 and 2 attacks only when combined with the vats relic. They killed only the plague surgeon before they died themselves.

The chaplain used his relic combo to flip the right hand objective and reduce the opponent to zero VP for the next turn. He then failed all 4 invuls plus the WT reroll, losing 4 wounds to a spawn with 4 attacks hitting on 5s. Mortarion finished him with a full smite, before coming to the aid of the blightlords in the centre, who were struggling against the terminators in heavy cover.

Mortarion was down to 12W but with me forgetting to score domination in the final turn and also forgetting the new rules for scoring in turn 5, the DG almost clinched it at the end

what worked

- reliquary of gathalmor - stopped 5 of his casts from succeeding and put a few MW on mortarion for his efforts. Combined with a culexus and or null zone, you could easily kill enemy psykers without even making any attacks

Storm shields with cover saves -there was no shifting those assault terminators. In the end it took a primarch to finish them off.

ATVs - be like water, my friend. With THP they absorbed a lot of damage from a charge which would have weakened the terminators. Fell back to toast a drone with melta. Then again poured into the gap behind an opponent's advance to flip his objective.

what whiffed

- aggressive play with infiltrators. An ineffective sacrifice. Maybe something if the rest of the army is rushing forward but in a hold 2 /hold 3 mission it's safer to keep bodies on the home objectives

- DG debuffs - minus T along with minus S and attacks and losing charge bonuses...very strong. The ridiculous thing IMO is DG no longer being affected by negative movement and charge bonuses. They now move and charge over difficult terrain better than the fastest factions do

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the win. Seemed like a tough match.

You dont need photobucket or anything when B&C can host all your images for you:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/141716-posting-and-hosting-images-at-the-bc/

Click your username at the top, then my gallery, then that should get you started. 

What thoughts do you have on changes and improvements? It looks like a good list but is there scope for optimisation? I never run a Priest without the "Chief Apothecary" upgrade. It boosts the effectiveness of his healing and revival so much. I also find the Jump Pack handy for keeping up with Bike or Jump pack units or bringing his assorted buffs to where they are needed.

Yep second the Assault terminators with storm shields Ran a squad yesterday. They are resolute in the face of anything, except mortal wounds.  Mass low AP bounces off them.  I am sold on them for mid board control and scoring.  Stick a Sang priest with them and they will always be there.  

Yep second the Assault terminators with storm shields Ran a squad yesterday. They are resolute in the face of anything, except mortal wounds.  Mass low AP bounces off them.  I am sold on them for mid board control and scoring.  Stick a Sang priest with them and they will always be there.  

I had TH/SS x3 and 2 LC x2 Terminators they stayed centre of board for 4 turns in Assault slowly chewing through 7 of those Necron CC monsters.  They have a spinning blade defence that reduces the WS very stubborn. But the Termies won in the end.   I will look at a Judicar to sit with them for their shenanigans and keep a Sang Priest with jump pack nearby.  Terminators are so important for centre  board dominance.  You cant shoot them and cant fight them and they grab VPs every turn from the centre board. 

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the win. Seemed like a tough match.

You dont need photobucket or anything when B&C can host all your images for you:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/141716-posting-and-hosting-images-at-the-bc/

Click your username at the top, then my gallery, then that should get you started.

Thanks so much for the heads up about this.

I've got as far as create new album - step 1 choose files.

I choose the files but click on step 2 to publish and nothing happens. Can't see a way forward.

Isn't Reliquary of Gathalamor PRIMARIS-only?

Isn't Reliquary of Gathalamor PRIMARIS-only?

Yes it is.

Also strange how he took two DG secondaries, I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to take one faction specific secondary.

Whoopsie! It is indeed primaris only. A mistake on my part from playing around with remaining points and swapping the primaris for a jump Libby.

And well spotted on that secondary! I ask the opponent before the game but he skipped that first paragraph. Nothing malicious just reading from the heart lol

It is indeed one only from the DG secondaries

What thoughts do you have on changes and improvements? It looks like a good list but is there scope for optimisation? I never run a Priest without the "Chief Apothecary" upgrade. It boosts the effectiveness of his healing and revival so much. I also find the Jump Pack handy for keeping up with Bike or Jump pack units or bringing his assorted buffs to where they are needed.

I've put the apothecary upgrade in the new list. More because I will save up to 4CP per game on revival than any other reason. The only reason I haven't used a jump pack is the points; at the moment the only way I can get those points is if I drop the SG down to 5 models. We'll see though.

I'm looking at swapping out the ATVs for another hammernator squad. Another tweak here and there and try out an assassin again. Probably the eversor with its greater chance of making a charge and killing an infiltrator equivalent with fight again.

And well spotted on that secondary! I ask the opponent before the game but he skipped that first paragraph. Nothing malicious just reading from the heart lol

Yea I think only 9th edition supplement chapters are privileged to be able to take a SM one (oath of moments lol) and their chapter specific one.

How did the inceptors feel without a source of reroll 1s? Against DG overcharging is pretty pointless but as a TAC list I think they would be a lot less effective in other matchups. 

Primaris chaplain on bike seems to be shaping up to be one of the strongest HQs we can bring. The visage of death and rites of war combo looks quite strong on such a fast and durable character. 

Yea I think only 9th edition supplement chapters are privileged to be able to take a SM one (oath of moments lol) and their chapter specific one.

How did the inceptors feel without a source of reroll 1s? Against DG overcharging is pretty pointless but as a TAC list I think they would be a lot less effective in other matchups. 

Primaris chaplain on bike seems to be shaping up to be one of the strongest HQs we can bring. The visage of death and rites of war combo looks quite strong on such a fast and durable character.

Sure missed those rerolls. With poxwalkers at T4 even with full shots against the unit of 20,they needed rerolls.

The more I look at swapping out the chaplain the more he secures his place. I see him hanging around using catechism of fire on the plasma ceptors and litany of hate on the termies and bladeguard. Then he can move up and give the charge bonus to the SG. Such an influence in defence and attack and his melee hit rerolls suit the list better than a chapter master.

The obsec on and off seems best suited to a turn 4 (5 if going second) dash and deny. He's not tremendously tanky. Maybe that's just my renowned rolling on 4++ though