+ Painting event: Sons of Dorn Expansion VII +

Dosjetka

Great work, and congrats on the completion! Now, where's vow #2? :wink:

Well, about that... :wink:

In the name of the Emperor and the Primarch, and by the light of blessed Sol, I, Brother Ezra, vow to complete one Techmarine for the Imperial Fists by the 14th of March, 2021.

Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and that of Him on Earth!

med_gallery_205358_16824_220660.jpg

While working on the last Reiver/Scout conversion, I found myself tinkering on this Techmarine conversion some more. As he's pretty much all done (except for the basing), I figured I could vow him in the meantime! Chances are slim that I'll be able to paint him up soon, though, as the weather isn't great around here for the moment.

I do have a little question for you all, though. While I like the head he currently has, I am considering replacing it with an actual helmet; more specifically, one of the two pictured below:

med_gallery_205358_16824_92768.jpg

med_gallery_205358_16824_1060591.jpg

What do you all think? Keep his head as-is, or replace it?

So I made some progress this week:

20210110 163448

Found the other assault options and started with this bad boy. The chain fist thingy wil hopefully also feature in this build.
I tried to create red marble on the templar sign on the ML arm, I'm mildly pleased by it.
You'll probably won't see it due to the cell phone pick, Ill take a real one soon.

Greetz,
Edited by Brother Carpenter

Keep the head.

What did you use for the body?

Looks great,

With the helmets the bodys starts looking a bit barrelish if you get my drift.

Nice backpack also.

Thanks! And yeah, I see what you mean with the body looking barrel-ish with the helmets; bare head it is, then!

As for the body, the torso was made from two Plague Marine torsos spliced together, and the legs are just a set of old Terminator legs. I had to add plasticard and green stuff to the torso's back to make it sit right on the legs (you can see it a bit in the pic below). The backpack also came from the Plague Marine models; I added some cables to it to make it more Techmarine-y (I think the big one came from an Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons Team). Everything else came from a Firstborn or Primaris Space Marine kit :smile.:

med_gallery_205358_16824_710252.jpg

Also, that dreadnought's coming along nicely! Really digging the Black Templar cross on his front side :yes:

I, Canadian_F_H, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn of the Imperial Fists Legion and Sigismund of the Black Templars Legion to complete...

9 initiates with Bolt Rifles

3 Initiates with Plasma Rifles

3 Sword Brethren with Combi-Plasmaguns and Chainswords

11 Initiates with bolt pistols and Chainswords

3 Sword Brethren with Power Swords and Storm Shields

1 Chaplain

3 drop pods

by 14th March 2021. For Dorn, Terra, Sigismund, the Emperor and the Imperial Truth!

CFH SoDE-VII 021.M03 1of4

CFH SoDE-VII 021.M03 2of4

CFH SoDE-VII 021.M03 3of4

CFH SoDE-VII 021.M03 4of4

Edited to replace picts with better ones.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

Ezra: nice conversion on the techmarine - bit of character. my fists use a black steel shoulder pad rim, yellow/black pops

Dosjetka: hmm agree ...i'm going to scale back to a squad and re-up if time permits

I've reached the starting line, these guys are ready for paint.. There's a bit of the legion flavor, the plan is to go a lot further with weathering, scuffed/chipped armor, splattered mud effects on the legs, and a first use of for shields/counters just a basic halved color scheme. I'm exited there's both a world eater and Iron Warrior head/helmet in there i've wanted to use for ages too, both press molded bits I made up..

med_gallery_80881_12688_786927.jpgmed_gallery_80881_12688_341262.jpgmed_gallery_80881_12688_978477.jpgmed_gallery_80881_12688_334716.jpgmed_gallery_80881_12688_241756.jpg

Apologies for the delay, folks. Been quite busy lately!

A global WIP showing progress on the vow. Missing are a helix adept whose head I cannot find and will probably replace with a regular primaris helmet (or bareheaded eliminator); an infiltrator missing the arm I put on the sergeant, and the third devastator (primed, not yet painted). 

The models currently on display are lacking some lens work (wanting to try the technical paints still in warp with assault intercessors), chapter decals, and basing (which I hate doing even if its just slapping some astrogranite on the base).

*snip*

Still not allowed to move my left elbow, but that'll hopefully change tomorrow. Latest models done with Food Wars in the background which makes me wish I could be cooking right now and definitely shouldn't be watched around kids.

I'm iffy but optimistic about completing my vow; this arm definitely isn't helping matters at all (and is totally getting all the blame if I fail), but even if I fail, I'll have had fun clearing out my backlog of models.

Fine effort on your part, especially considering your broken arm! I hope it mends quickly! And if you fail your vow, you'll have a more than valid excuse. ;)

Great work, and congrats on the completion! Now, where's vow #2? :wink:

Well, about that... :wink:

In the name of the Emperor and the Primarch, and by the light of blessed Sol, I, Brother Ezra, vow to complete one Techmarine for the Imperial Fists by the 14th of March, 2021. 

Primarch-Progenitor, to your glory and that of Him on Earth!

*snip*

While working on the last Reiver/Scout conversion, I found myself tinkering on this Techmarine conversion some more. As he's pretty much all done (except for the basing), I figured I could vow him in the meantime! Chances are slim that I'll be able to paint him up soon, though, as the weather isn't great around here for the moment. 

I do have a little question for you all, though. While I like the head he currently has, I am considering replacing it with an actual helmet; more specifically, one of the two pictured below:

*snip*

What do you all think? Keep his head as-is, or replace it? 

That's a unique conversion, Ezra! And I like it. :) For what it's worth, the bare head looks best out of the three you've shown us. Looking forward to seeing it painted!

So I made some progress this week:

*snip*

Found the other assault options and started with this bad boy. The chain fist thingy wil hopefully also feature in this build.
I tried to create red marble on the templar sign on the ML arm, I'm mildly pleased by it.
You'll probably won't see it due to the cell phone pick, Ill take a real one soon.

Greetz,

Looking good so far, the finish line is in sight. :)

I, Canadian_F_H, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn of the Imperial Fists Legion and Sigismund of the Black Templars Legion to complete...

9 initiates with Bolt Rifles

3 Initiates with Plasma Rifles

3 Sword Brethren with Combi-Plasmaguns and Chainswords

11 Initiates with bolt pistols and Chainswords

3 Sword Brethren with Power Swords and Storm Shields

1 Chaplain

3 drop pods

by 14th March 2021. For Dorn, Terra, Sigismund, the Emperor and the Imperial Truth!

*snip*

Edited to replace picts with better ones.

Hefty vow, CFH! Welcome to the Expansion, can't wait to see those Astartes painted and table-ready. :tu:

Ok, now that I finally remembered to get pictures. Here's is my completed vow.

1 Captain and 10 Intercessors

*snip*

5 Incursors

*snip*

1 Redemptor Dreadnaught (with weapon swap)

*snip*

Congratulations on the completed vow, Focslain! Any plans for a second vow?

Finally getting around to this.

I, Templargdt, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn and Sigismund of the Black Templars to complete two Invictor Warsuits by 14th March in the Year of Our Lord 2021.

For Dorn, Terra, and the Emperor!

*snip*

Welcome to the Expansion, templargdt! Are those custom sarcophagi on those Invictor Warsuits? Look neat. :tu:

Dosjetka- they are 3D printed from shapeways.  I loathe the rollcage cockpit on the Invictor, I think it looks ridiculous.  

I spotted the shapeways canopy's as well.

NIce to see how they fit. I'm looking foreward how they turn out painted.

I'm also not hooked on the rollcage position of the pilot. Looks to orcy in my mind.

Some other people on the forum build them with spare parts as a semi enclosed canopy. I find that solution also passable.

Edited by Brother Carpenter

@Dosjetka - I'm thinking of doing some Crimson Fists, but not sure as to what units just yet. The consensus is to do a vanguard squad, but I need to check if I have the kits. 

Honestly I was thinking of a squad of aggressors since I two boxes right now, but I would want them to be boltstorm ones and I need the grenade launchers for another project.

Today's models brought to you by Martian Successor Nadesico, because I'm a nostalgic weeb. Currently finishing off the last of the Vanguard box and started assembly of the Redemptor Dreadnought. So uh, only 25 models to go? Assuming that the Assault Intercessors ever show up of course. I'm thinking that it's lost in the system and I'll have to somehow cancel and reorder it.

WRDN7fi.jpg

Torso, legs, and missile launcher are separate subassemblies for eventual painting purposes, I've just put them on top of each other for picture purposes.

So many mistakes made so far on this, though in my defense, I was trying to avoid gluing the torso ring bits to the central assembly; unfortunately it not only did so with the spikes in a completely useless position but defeated all my attempts to unglue it and put it back to normal. So I cut them off. Luckily, looking at my ETB Redemptor DN, coincidentally my first model, those bits are pretty unnoticeable. 

pLSaxR0.jpg

To be honest, I kinda prefer the Helix Adept with the eliminator head (hood painted white for apothecariness).

I'm so happy I noticed this event!

I, Havlar, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn and the yet-unnamed-chapter to complete two five-model command squads by 14th March 2021.

Weapon bits and arms still need to be sorted out, but it's going to be 3 plasmas + 2 flamers & 4 meltas + bolter.

yv1iMOL.jpg

Edited by havlar

Nice power fist glow.

Well done.

I like the red chainswords as well. A little blink to the past? Or is it a company colour thing?

Thanks! The red chainswords are a company colors thing, plus I think the red balances well against the black pistols that are held in the opposite hand.

I, Mr. Oddity, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn and the re-founded Fists of Olchis to complete the test model (one Intercessor Sergeant) for the new Chapter by 14th March 2021.

Expansion VII Pledge 1

----------

Having just settled in to my new home and finally having life take on a more relaxed routine, I think it's time I put my ~12 years of hobby lurking to use and finally start working on my first army. This expansion is the perfect motivator for that!

Edited by Mr. Oddity

Dosjetka- they are 3D printed from shapeways.  I loathe the rollcage cockpit on the Invictor, I think it looks ridiculous.  

Nice! And I agree: the rollcage on that model doesn't look great.

Step #1 done... the Assault Intercessors are finished.

*snip*

They look glorious. Great work, andes! :tu:

@Dosjetka - I'm thinking of doing some Crimson Fists, but not sure as to what units just yet. The consensus is to do a vanguard squad, but I need to check if I have the kits. 

Honestly I was thinking of a squad of aggressors since I two boxes right now, but I would want them to be boltstorm ones and I need the grenade launchers for another project.

Sounds good! Not sure I can help you much with the unit choice though, sorry.

I'm so happy I noticed this event!

I, Havlar, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn and the yet-unnamed-chapter to complete two five-model command squads by 14th March 2021.

Weapon bits and arms still need to be sorted out, but it's going to be 3 plasmas + 2 flamers & 4 meltas + bolter.

*snip*

Welcome to the Expansion, havlar! Nice to see a new face around these parts. :) Good luck with your vow!

I, Metzombie, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn and the Shields of Dorn to complete 3 Intercessors, 1 Impulsor, 2 Companie Veterans and 1 Judiciar by 14th March 2021.

*snip*

Nice to see you back for a second vow, Metz!

I, Mr. Oddity, vow in the name of Rogal Dorn and the re-founded Fists of Olchis to complete the test model (one Intercessor Sergeant) for the new Chapter by 14th March 2021.

*snip*

----------

Having just settled in to my new home and finally having life take on a more relaxed routine, I think it's time I put my ~12 years of hobby lurking to use and finally start working on my first army. This expansion is the perfect motivator for that!

And last but not least, welcome to the Expansion and back to the hobby, Mr. Oddity! I'm looking forward to seeing your test model painted. :)