Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Primaris Death Company, are they worth it?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Helias Tancred

Helias Tancred

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,635 posts

I'm wondering if its getting primaris death company? And if so what are you liking more, standard intercessor squad or an assault intercessor squad?

I've got 10 regular marine death company on foot, and 15 with jump packs, but no primaris.

Thanks.

Eilio Tiberius on Instagram

where my hobby pics are kept .... 

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,234 posts
I do not think so. Regular Death Company can take far more special weapons and can take Jump Packs. Death Company Intercessors therefore do not hit as hard as regular ones and require some sort of investment in Transport.

I have been over the points and options and I cannot think of a worthwhile use for DC Intercessors. As a hammer unit, they are hampered by their lack of mobility. They also don't work particularly well as improved Intercessors since they are not Troops and hence lack ObjSec.
  • Morticon, SnorriSnorrison and Helias Tancred like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,532 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I'll be converting the Indomitus Assault Intercessors to be Firstborn Death Company, but other than that, I wouldn't touch them. Karhedon has said it basically - footslogging melee troops in a fast, jump-pack centred army will be lagging behind and for that, they're too expensive and have too little damage output you can get elsewhere (S4 AP-1).

Primaris DC also won't ever get the buff from Wrath of Baal, which I've grown quite fond of since in my last game I failed too many charges out of deepstrike, too often. I'll be experimenting with the WoB as soon as the new lockdown is over and have converted a Sang-Ancient to go with it.

Back to the topic: unless you're running a pure Primaris army for fun or lore reasons (even though a good chunk of the Blood Angels chapter was not present at DoB and therefore survived(ish) with Firstborn Marines), then I'd skip primaris DC. Even their Forlorn Fury move will only be 6" since you can't advance anymore.

Bladeguard veterans will serve you better as footslogging melee troops because they're generally tougher and have 3 wounds for whatever reason. DC need to get the charge off for Black Rage to trigger, and that is something footslogging primaris can't guarantee.

• Doghouse and Helias Tancred like this

smileyjim

smileyjim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 201 posts
You can now move a dc squad 12" pre battle which fixes some of the movement problem and will get you to midboard turn one, even a charge on at least 1 mission layout.
The games about midboard control, big squad of dc looking to counter charge is always scary. I think there's a use for dc intercessors.
  • Helias Tancred likes this

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,532 posts

You can now move a dc squad 12" pre battle which fixes some of the movement problem and will get you to midboard turn one, even a charge on at least 1 mission layout.
The games about midboard control, big squad of dc looking to counter charge is always scary. I think there's a use for dc intercessors.

IF you’re allowed to move them twice via FF, and then you’re spending 4 CP on that. That’s a heavy investment, when you could simply use jump packs...the extra 5-10 attacks aren’t worth it if you have to pump that many CP into the unit to make it work.
  • Blindhamster likes this

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,136 posts

yeah its a normal move of up to 12", so units normal movement characteristic, but setup to allow for jump pack DC to get full use out of it.

IF it turned out that it means ANY DC can forlorn fury 12" pre game, yeah its a big deal and helps DC intercessors be not sucky,

Similarly, IF DC Intercessors can use the intercessor strats, it'll be a big deal for them.

Similarly, IF they fix the sheet so DC Intercessors can take multiple melee weapons, it'll be a big deal for them (there's really no reason they shouldn't be allowed at least two tbh)

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,591 posts
  • Faction: Charnel Guard
I could see them if you wanted to bring a melee hammer unit in a repulsor
But they dont count as assault intercessors for fight twice, they arent obsec, can only bring 1 special melee weapon, arent obsec, etc.
So the 6+++ and extra 2 attacks over assault intercessors probably arent worth.

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius! Death! DEATH!"

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,532 posts

yeah its a normal move of up to 12", so units normal movement characteristic, but setup to allow for jump pack DC to get full use out of it.

IF it turned out that it means ANY DC can forlorn fury 12" pre game, yeah its a big deal and helps DC intercessors be not sucky,

Similarly, IF DC Intercessors can use the intercessor strats, it'll be a big deal for them.

Similarly, IF they fix the sheet so DC Intercessors can take multiple melee weapons, it'll be a big deal for them (there's really no reason they shouldn't be allowed at least two tbh)

That's big IFs unfortunately, and they're unlikely to become reality...

Now, if when Codex Space Marines comes out in a year's time and they kill off Firstborn, then they might be an option. Or if primaris miraculously discover how jump packs work.

Helias Tancred

Helias Tancred

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,635 posts

I do have two Blood Angel impulsors I could put them in. Maybe for the meantime I'll put a combat squad of my assault intercessors in each along with a primaris lieutenant and primaris chaplain, rush them to midfield and start causing havoc?

I want to like the primaris death company but right now it needs some changes rules-wise. 

Eilio Tiberius on Instagram

where my hobby pics are kept .... 

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,111 posts

They can work as a decent distraction with an Impulsor.

Move up, disembark - while you can't charge you can shoot some heavy pistols and look menacing.

Any threats pop transhuman and soak it up - get ready for the turn 3 savage echoes.

smileyjim

smileyjim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 201 posts

IF you’re allowed to move them twice via FF, and then you’re spending 4 CP on that. That’s a heavy investment, when you could simply use jump packs...the extra 5-10 attacks aren’t worth it if you have to pump that many CP into the unit to make it work.
1 cp per 5 models

smileyjim

smileyjim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 201 posts
I'll be painting up some dc intercessors and magnetising jump packs to use them as old or new.
I hate the size of old marines they just look kinda sad next to truescale now. Ill switch the helmets though

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,136 posts

1 cp per 5 models

but its a normal move, so DC intercessors will only go 6" so would need to use it twice to move 12 and that assumes you do it with a 5 man squad (which would be pretty pointless as it lacks the numbers to be impactful)

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Diagramdude

Diagramdude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 454 posts

You could put DC intercessors into strategic reserves and have them come 9" from a board edge and hope to make an 8" charge, or 7" if you can get the litany in place with Commanding Oratory.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,234 posts

You could put DC intercessors into strategic reserves and have them come 9" from a board edge and hope to make an 8" charge, or 7" if you can get the litany in place with Commanding Oratory.

That is feasible certainly. I am just not sure if it is worth the effort and CPs when we have units that can do the same for fewer CPs or better for the same expenditure of CPs.

For example, if you pull Canticle of Hate + Reserves for a unit with a Jump Pack, you do not have to spend CPs on reserves and you are not restricted to coming in only from aboard edge.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

smileyjim

smileyjim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 201 posts

1 cp per 5 models
but its a normal move, so DC intercessors will only go 6" so would need to use it twice to move 12 and that assumes you do it with a 5 man squad (which would be pretty pointless as it lacks the numbers to be impactful)
Yeah your right i re read it, bit of ashame and suddenly less interesting.

Can you do an advance move though?

Diagramdude

Diagramdude

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 454 posts
No. Normal move up to 12”

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,590 posts

Say you got Assault Intercessors.....like from Indomitus....can you paint them black and make them DC? I glaze over trying to understand the wargear part of their data sheet. 

• SnorriSnorrison and Helias Tancred like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,576 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

Yes, I believe you can do that. I don't have the book yet, it's been very delayed getting here. Not certain on whether you can change the sergeant's armament yet, I would think it should be the case after an FAQ.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

1s=heretical

1s=heretical

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
Yeah they even stated on the dc article you could kit bash both normal and assualt to get the best dc builds. So I wouldn't see why you couldn't use the easy the indom box set

SnorriSnorrison

SnorriSnorrison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,532 posts

Say you got Assault Intercessors.....like from Indomitus....can you paint them black and make them DC? I glaze over trying to understand the wargear part of their data sheet.

You can! They can all take chainswords and heavy bolt pistols I believe.
Or, even better, slap some jump packs and thunder hammers on the Assault Intercessors and run them as bigger firstborn DC to make use of the dynamic poses. That’s what I’m doing, seeing as the data sheet of primaris DC is useless to me...

Edited by SnorriSnorrison, 17 December 2020 - 12:05 PM.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,234 posts

Yes, the Assault Intercessors are a valid loadout for DC Intercessors. The 2 bullet points you need from the datasheet are:

• All of the models may replace their wargear with a Heavy Bolt Pistol and Astartes Chainsword.
  • One model may take a plasma pistol

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,958 posts

Yeah they even stated on the dc article you could kit bash both normal and assualt to get the best dc builds. So I wouldn't see why you couldn't use the easy the indom box set

Though not really true, you can field them but as separate squads. No mixing and matching, and bp+cs units cannot take special melee weapons.

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pngfriday-award.pnggallery_58096_13272_607.pngXX\

1s=heretical

1s=heretical

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

Though not really true, you can field them but as separate squads. No mixing and matching, and bp+cs units cannot take special melee weapons.

I was referring to posing of the model and such

Midnightmare

Midnightmare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,948 posts
My Primaris are getting jump packs and special weapons, and a sprinkling of first born stuff and they will be counting as first born. Jump packs are iconic and a must for me.
  • Doghouse, Majkhel and WrathOfTheLion like this
bl-logo.jpggallery_45765_12339_50558.png
“We are returned”
Black Legion WIP
Flesh Eaters WIP
Tutorial:Glowing Eyes/Power Weapons
Index Astartes:Flesh Eaters

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users