Primaris Death Company, are they worth it?

Helias_Tancred

I do not think so. Regular Death Company can take far more special weapons and can take Jump Packs. Death Company Intercessors therefore do not hit as hard as regular ones and require some sort of investment in Transport.

I have been over the points and options and I cannot think of a worthwhile use for DC Intercessors. As a hammer unit, they are hampered by their lack of mobility. They also don't work particularly well as improved Intercessors since they are not Troops and hence lack ObjSec.

I'll be converting the Indomitus Assault Intercessors to be Firstborn Death Company, but other than that, I wouldn't touch them. Karhedon has said it basically - footslogging melee troops in a fast, jump-pack centred army will be lagging behind and for that, they're too expensive and have too little damage output you can get elsewhere (S4 AP-1).

Primaris DC also won't ever get the buff from Wrath of Baal, which I've grown quite fond of since in my last game I failed too many charges out of deepstrike, too often. I'll be experimenting with the WoB as soon as the new lockdown is over and have converted a Sang-Ancient to go with it.

Back to the topic: unless you're running a pure Primaris army for fun or lore reasons (even though a good chunk of the Blood Angels chapter was not present at DoB and therefore survived(ish) with Firstborn Marines), then I'd skip primaris DC. Even their Forlorn Fury move will only be 6" since you can't advance anymore.

Bladeguard veterans will serve you better as footslogging melee troops because they're generally tougher and have 3 wounds for whatever reason. DC need to get the charge off for Black Rage to trigger, and that is something footslogging primaris can't guarantee.

You can now move a dc squad 12" pre battle which fixes some of the movement problem and will get you to midboard turn one, even a charge on at least 1 mission layout.

The games about midboard control, big squad of dc looking to counter charge is always scary. I think there's a use for dc intercessors.

You can now move a dc squad 12" pre battle which fixes some of the movement problem and will get you to midboard turn one, even a charge on at least 1 mission layout.

The games about midboard control, big squad of dc looking to counter charge is always scary. I think there's a use for dc intercessors.

IF you’re allowed to move them twice via FF, and then you’re spending 4 CP on that. That’s a heavy investment, when you could simply use jump packs...the extra 5-10 attacks aren’t worth it if you have to pump that many CP into the unit to make it work.

yeah its a normal move of up to 12", so units normal movement characteristic, but setup to allow for jump pack DC to get full use out of it.

IF it turned out that it means ANY DC can forlorn fury 12" pre game, yeah its a big deal and helps DC intercessors be not sucky,

Similarly, IF DC Intercessors can use the intercessor strats, it'll be a big deal for them.

Similarly, IF they fix the sheet so DC Intercessors can take multiple melee weapons, it'll be a big deal for them (there's really no reason they shouldn't be allowed at least two tbh)

I could see them if you wanted to bring a melee hammer unit in a repulsor

But they dont count as assault intercessors for fight twice, they arent obsec, can only bring 1 special melee weapon, arent obsec, etc.

So the 6+++ and extra 2 attacks over assault intercessors probably arent worth.

yeah its a normal move of up to 12", so units normal movement characteristic, but setup to allow for jump pack DC to get full use out of it.

IF it turned out that it means ANY DC can forlorn fury 12" pre game, yeah its a big deal and helps DC intercessors be not sucky,

Similarly, IF DC Intercessors can use the intercessor strats, it'll be a big deal for them.

Similarly, IF they fix the sheet so DC Intercessors can take multiple melee weapons, it'll be a big deal for them (there's really no reason they shouldn't be allowed at least two tbh)

That's big IFs unfortunately, and they're unlikely to become reality...

Now, if when Codex Space Marines comes out in a year's time and they kill off Firstborn, then they might be an option. Or if primaris miraculously discover how jump packs work.

I do have two Blood Angel impulsors I could put them in. Maybe for the meantime I'll put a combat squad of my assault intercessors in each along with a primaris lieutenant and primaris chaplain, rush them to midfield and start causing havoc?

I want to like the primaris death company but right now it needs some changes rules-wise. 

IF you’re allowed to move them twice via FF, and then you’re spending 4 CP on that. That’s a heavy investment, when you could simply use jump packs...the extra 5-10 attacks aren’t worth it if you have to pump that many CP into the unit to make it work.
1 cp per 5 models

1 cp per 5 models

but its a normal move, so DC intercessors will only go 6" so would need to use it twice to move 12 and that assumes you do it with a 5 man squad (which would be pretty pointless as it lacks the numbers to be impactful)

You could put DC intercessors into strategic reserves and have them come 9" from a board edge and hope to make an 8" charge, or 7" if you can get the litany in place with Commanding Oratory.

That is feasible certainly. I am just not sure if it is worth the effort and CPs when we have units that can do the same for fewer CPs or better for the same expenditure of CPs.

For example, if you pull Canticle of Hate + Reserves for a unit with a Jump Pack, you do not have to spend CPs on reserves and you are not restricted to coming in only from aboard edge.

1 cp per 5 models

but its a normal move, so DC intercessors will only go 6" so would need to use it twice to move 12 and that assumes you do it with a 5 man squad (which would be pretty pointless as it lacks the numbers to be impactful)
Yeah your right i re read it, bit of ashame and suddenly less interesting.

Can you do an advance move though?

Say you got Assault Intercessors.....like from Indomitus....can you paint them black and make them DC? I glaze over trying to understand the wargear part of their data sheet.

You can! They can all take chainswords and heavy bolt pistols I believe.

Or, even better, slap some jump packs and thunder hammers on the Assault Intercessors and run them as bigger firstborn DC to make use of the dynamic poses. That’s what I’m doing, seeing as the data sheet of primaris DC is useless to me...

Edited by SnorriSnorrison

Say you got Assault Intercessors.....like from Indomitus....can you paint them black and make them DC? I glaze over trying to understand the wargear part of their data sheet.

Yes, the Assault Intercessors are a valid loadout for DC Intercessors. The 2 bullet points you need from the datasheet are:

• All of the models may replace their wargear with a Heavy Bolt Pistol and Astartes Chainsword.
  • One model may take a plasma pistol

Yeah they even stated on the dc article you could kit bash both normal and assualt to get the best dc builds. So I wouldn't see why you couldn't use the easy the indom box set

Though not really true, you can field them but as separate squads. No mixing and matching, and bp+cs units cannot take special melee weapons.

Yeah they even stated on the dc article you could kit bash both normal and assualt to get the best dc builds. So I wouldn't see why you couldn't use the easy the indom box set

Though not really true, you can field them but as separate squads. No mixing and matching, and bp+cs units cannot take special melee weapons.

I was referring to posing of the model and such