Primaris Death Company, are they worth it?

Helias_Tancred

Ok how about this setup for primaris death company?

1. 2 squads of 5 primaris death company each, equipped with heavy bolt pistol and chainsword, with one having a plasma pistol and thunder hammer.

2. 2 Impulsors

3. That leaves a slot in each repulser for a chaplain, and another primaris HQ or elite you want to go with them.

They rush to midfield, get out and fight as two squads in one blob with the chaplain and additional primaris character?

Pretty good?

Or should I just keep my idomitus assault intercessors as just that for now and paint my two impulsors red?

I think 5man DC intercessors is the way to go for unit size if you’re running them. 1 cp for transhuman and 1cp for refusal to die makes them unreasonably durable. I think access to transhuman is their saving grace. They can’t be ignored either, once they are in a position to charge those 5 guys are putting out 30 attacks, 35 with savage echoes

I think 5man DC intercessors is the way to go for unit size if you’re running them. 1 cp for transhuman and 1cp for refusal to die makes them unreasonably durable. I think access to transhuman is their saving grace. They can’t be ignored either, once they are in a position to charge those 5 guys are putting out 30 attacks, 35 with savage echoes

By my own analysis, the only thing separating DC Intercessors from their jump-packed brethren is access to the Transhuman Physiology Stratagem. Plain and simple. Otherwise, you're better off with "regular" DC in almost every way. 

That is purely from an objective crunch perspective, by all means fluff or personal taste reasons could rule-in DC Intercessors for a person. 

they have marginally better shooting against the sort of units you're likely to throw them at (-1 AP, longer range on pistols). And in their base form +1 attack assuming both types use chainswords. But yes, regular are strictly better. Although if you play crusade and use primaris, you'll NEED some.

Primaris DC do get an extra attack but also cost more so their overall points-efficiency is only slightly higher than firstborn. Firstborn get a much more flexible loadout. For me the big deal is all about Jump Packs. DC are a melee unit and need a delivery mechanism. Jump Packs give them high mobility and the capability to deploy from Reserves if necessary. It is just too good to turn down.

You can use Primaris DC as super-Intercessors but they lose ObjSec and cost more points. This gives them the same problem as Veteran Intercessors.

Ok how about this setup for primaris death company?

1. 2 squads of 5 primaris death company each, equipped with heavy bolt pistol and chainsword, with one having a plasma pistol and thunder hammer.

Idon't think that's a valid loadout for a DC unit though - if you give them chainswords, they cannot take a special melee weapon. They can only take a TH if they have bolt rifles. There's an FAQ due anytime now, though, which might change their loadout to reflect the options in the modular assault intercessor box. 

If there was a way (Stratagem or otherwise) to make DC Intercessors Troops, then I would be singing their praises (relatively speaking), but being in the Elites slot which is crowded as it is for all SM, but doubly so for us......they just don't cut it compared to other options including their jump-packed brethren IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

If that's the case then I think I agree. I'm looking at a Thunder hammer or power fists and I may turn my squad of 10 into 2 squads of 5. I may well add a third. I had been thinking about a squad of Intercessor veterans with a thunder hammer Squad leader, as they have 4 attacks base. 

Even though chainsword armed squads can now take a special cc weapon, I think auto bolt rifles are probably still the best loadout. You lose 5 attacks in combat, but gain 10 on the way in.

Extra point of AP on the Chainswords though.... On balance, I think you are right and ABRs are probably still the best answer.

What do you guys think of a death company captain in Gravis Armor?

I already have a couple of Primaris Captains and other captains and am not really a fan of the Gravis one but still wanted to make a DC captain (and I don’t want to use the Blade Guard one in that role).

Is there any use for regular bolt rifles on them instead of autos? I have some built that way that are primed and basecoated black that I'm considering making death company.

Really, there isn't enough difference in the models that can be observed at 3feet away to matter. You can just say 'the death co have auto bolt rifles' and most sane people wont care what kind of magazine the bolter has.

I prefer the auto as DC want to be in combat and the auto lets them advance and fire, so they can be moving D6+7" per turn and still getting more hits than a bp armed unit. 

I can see a CS unit if you play on smaller tables. Bladeguard seem to have a good use for 'holding the centre ground', even on foot. The above advance move should get them to the middle no problem. Squishier than Bladeguard, but cheaper per model. 

If I were taking a Gravis Captain, I would probably be looking at the CM upgrade and Angel Artifice relic instead. That way I would have a T6 8W tank with a 2+/4++ save wandering around.

On the other hand, a DC Bike captain might be interesting...