Saga of Torvald Bloodmane (batreps)

TheUnlikelyGamer84

This is the Saga of my wolf priest Torvald Bloodmane

Im this thread I plan to post my batreps. I just want to share my experiences from a causal standpoint. My group of friends play hard but we don’t play competitively currently with Covid shutting stores down. We basically just play garage hammer at this point. This is my saga...

So I recently began teaching my friend, he’s also my Lt. , at work how to play 9th edition. He played during 6th/7th and hadn’t stayed in the loop rules wise through 8th up to now. We have gotten about 7 games under his belt as of yesterday and while he has been getting a better grasp of the game and his army rules, I’ve been trying different combos and lists every time we play. He is getting better every time we play so eventually I will have to stop experimentation and play for real.. Yesterday we played a 1750 point game. His Black Templars versus my Wolves. I don’t remember his list exactly but you can find it below with mine.

Mission:

Incursion - Forward push

1750pts

My list

Battalion

HQ-

Bjorn

Ragnar

Primaris Wolf priest: hero of the chapter, master of sanctity , resolve of the bear.

Relic- pelt of bale wolf

Litanies- canticle of hate, exhortation of rage

Troops-

5x Infiltrators

5x infiltrators

5x assault intercessors, sgt hammer

Elites-

5x Blade guard

Judiciar warlord, warrior of legend: imperium sword, saga of wolfkin

Relic: armor of Russ

Murderfang

Wulfen dread shield, claw, 2x h. Flamers

Wulfen dread shield, claw, 2x h. Flamers

Transport

2x impulsor: shield, sb and h. Stubber

Deployment:

I defend and deploy everything behind Obscuring terrain besides the two squads of infiltrators which deployed in terrain to hold A and C objectives. He does similarly but puts crusader squads in 3 drop pods( he borrowed two of mine and his third is unassembled hence the bottom of the pod in the pics.)

Turn 1:

Templars win the rolloff and go first. He deploys one drop pod outside of his deployment zone and the crusader squad within gets out in the building within range of the objective. His devastators have nothing to shoot at but the forward infiltrators. Since his grav weapons only have 30 inch range and most of my units are obscured. So he shoots them and I use smokescreen strat. He only kills one of my infiltrators. He whiffs his shooting with the dread on my right and his left dread is out of range and LOS.

On my turn The wolf priest fails litanies and stays near the objective and rear infiltrators moving only slightly to further box out my deployment for deep strike. murderfang and the wulfen dreads Move and advance forward to the large obscuring terrain piece on my right. My right impulsor moved and advanced to land just beside the leading edge of same building on the right helping hold the objective and setting up a turn 2 charge of ragnar and his assault intercessors. The other impulsor moves up on the left behind obscuring terrain, closely followed by bjorn in order to maintain range for Lookout sir. Infiltrator shooting from front right building kill sergeant from his devastators. I scored 5 pts for mission secondary forward push by completing the action on A and C objectives with both squads of infiltrators.

Turn 2:

At this point we realize the board should have been bigger but the desk we were using in his office was what we had been using for all our other games so we stuck with it because we didn’t want to move everything. I had completely zoned him out Preventing his other drop pods from coming in. We decided next time to play in a different room with a bigger table if we play above 1250pts.

He scored 5 pts for primary. He moved up his impulsor and charged mine on the right in hopes of move blocking me so the dreadnoughts could not rampage into his lines. He shot his devastators , a dread and Crusaders into my impulsor taking it down to one wound and making it very slow. He shoots the other dread into my infiltrators on right killing a couple. Helix helps to shrug off a wound.

On my turn I score 15pts on primary for holding A,B and C objectives. Priest again fails both litanies. Right infiltrators perform mission secondary again on objective C. I move all of the dreads forward and disembark the blade guard and Judiciar from the left impulsor and move them forward through the building on left leaving the impulsor on the B objective. Ragnar and the assault intercessors disembark from the right impulsor and move toward the devastators. I shoot with Björn, all three dreads weapons, both impulsor, and the rear infiltrators into his impulsor destroying it. His chapter master and his blade guard disembark and he spends the CP to emergency disembark 6” to lengthen the charge of my dreads. I charge into his devastator‘s with Ragnar and crew ignoring his dread on my right. Bjorn charges his drop pod and the blade guard, both wulfen dreads charge into his blade guard with murderfang. The rerolls to charge really help the dreads. Ragnar kills the devs by himself, bjorn kills the pod, murderfang and the wulfen dreads kill the bladeguard and consolidate into his relic shield master. At the end of turn I score warrior pride, bring it down twice and forward push on C obj for a total of 12pts.

Turn 3:

He scores 5 pts for primary. Templars bring in a pod with crusaders and champion on my back left in the corner of my deployment. He uses strat to prepare orbital bombardment of my A objective. His dreads move forward. Dread on my left moves to support Capt. And dread on right moves toward my infiltrators on Objective C to the right. His dread shoots and kills my wounded impulsor on the right and takes its last wound. He then assaults the infiltrators in the building. Emperors champion makes a lone charge out of the pod in my deployment into my rear left impulsor but is too far from the objective to contest it. Dread finishes off the infiltrators on obj C that he has been picking on since the beginning and consolidates toward where my dreads are surrounding his chapter master. Emperors champion take some wounds off remaining impulsor. His dread on my left charges murderfang. And fails to kill him. Murderfang strikes back and kills him dead. His chapter master strikes and bjorn and whiffs. Bjorn and both wulfen dreads fight and after the dust settles only manage 2 wounds on the chapter master. Between his 4++ and his 4+++ he shrugged off crazy damage.

Wolves turn I score 10 on primary. Chaplain litanies finally go off. He and the infiltrators leave back objective before the bombardment can kill them. They move toward his pod in my deployment. Blade guard and Judiciar move and prepare to charge the crusaders on D objective that he has been holding. Ragnar and the boys move double back to get obj C. The blade guard and Judiciar charge and destroy his crusader squad on obj D. The chaplain and infiltrators make their charges (thanks to the +2 charge litany) into the crusaders that stepped out of the pod in my deployment and take a few down. Combat with his chapter master is ongoing. That guy shrugs off my stupid amounts of damage. I score warrior pride and bring it down for 5 pts on secondaries. I’m really starting to get ahead on points.

Turn 4

Templars score no primary. He moves his remaining dread toward the blade guard and bring in his last pod of crusaders on my objective I as I had to abandon it to avoid the bombardment. His dread shoots my intercessors and they lose 3 of their number. Emperors champion kills off my remaining impulsor and his crusaders kill off the infiltrators. His captain does nothing and his dread assaults murderfang and kills him. I don’t have the CP to strike back upon death. He consolidates into the bladeguard and they do a few wounds to him. He scores 2 for bring it down.

Wolves turn. I score 5 for primary with obj C. I move Ragnar toward the melee with the dreads and he decides he has watched that nonsense go on long enough. The remaining assault intercessors stay on the objective and perform the mission secondary action. The wulfen dreads, Ragnar and the Judiciar charge his remaining dread and kill it. It explodes and does mortals to everyone in range. Priest kills more crusaders in my deployment.

I score 4pts for forward push secondary, 2 pts for bring it down, and 3 for warrior pride.

At this point it’s Wolves 61 to Templars 12 and we call it.

Take aways. Scoring is obviously big this edition. He is still shaking out the mind set of older editions where tabling your opponent was the goal. The size of the table was a factor here. It would have help us both since we are both assault armies however his army being mostly in pods hurt him. Particularly with the infiltrators doing an incredible job limiting his deepstrike.

Edited by TheUnlikelyGamer84