Legion Roles in Lore

tangoalphatwo

So, I’m not up to date on my lore. I got out a little after the first Horus Heresy book came out so my experience with that time has been mostly myth and legend. That said, can someone help me out with some lore?

I love how they really did well tying in the whole they were once loyal legions theme. So it states in the Death Guard codex that the Plague Surgeons were the apothecaries when they were a loyal legion, but they have since morphed. Which got me thinking, who are the others?

The Plaguecasters and sorcerers were obvious the legion Librarian/sorcerers. (Can’t remember if the legions had librarians or sorcerers or both. Or if Librarians are a new thing... lore wise formed closer to 40K not 30k, and the legions Psykers just became these.)

Were the Blightbringers the Chaplains? Or were the Tallymen? Or were they both that split into two different roles?

Were the Blightspawn or Putrifiers the equivalent to Lieutenants? And they just diverged due to their style of fighting? Or who were they?

Anyway, if someone knows the answers from a confirmed source, I’m curious, also if you guys have thoughts or head cannon, I would love to hear that as well!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Morty banned all psyker powers to be used. Typhus ha psyker powers but would never use it around morty. Mbh are death guard equivalent to obliterators. If u recall correctly they used to be tech marine's

To add on to your point, Morty tolerated (just) sanctioned psykers that had roles that couldn’t be forgone, like navigators (heh) and astropaths. It was the people and marines who utilized their powers for their own benefit or called on mighty destructive powers he had problems with.

Kind of like the OG Black Templars lol.

Morty banned all psyker powers to be used. Typhus ha psyker powers but would never use it around morty. Mbh are death guard equivalent to obliterators. If u recall correctly they used to be tech marine's

To add on to your point, Morty tolerated (just) sanctioned psykers that had roles that couldn’t be forgone, like navigators (heh) and astropaths. It was the people and marines who utilized their powers for their own benefit or called on mighty destructive powers he had problems with.

I feel almost as bad for morty as I do for fulgrim. They both got screwed over by their own legions deviating and working behind their backs. He hated the overlords on his home world. He very much disliked sorcery. His closest confidant Typhus(who is half human half overlord race)scammed him and the whole legion to turn into plague marines. He killed him 2 times..he revived via nurgle. He sets that demon on him to kill him to fulfill his oath to mortarion...nurgle revives him again, that demon fuses with typhus and then typhus gains the destroyer swarm. Typhus is definitely more favored by nurgle. Mortarion basically now has to be a tyrant to his whole legion because he's the biggest baddest dude on nurgles team.

I feel almost as bad for morty as I do for fulgrim. They both got screwed over by their own legions deviating and working behind their backs. He hated the overlords on his home world. He very much disliked sorcery. His closest confidant Typhus(who is half human half overlord race)scammed him and the whole legion to turn into plague marines. He killed him 2 times..he revived via nurgle. He sets that demon on him to kill him to fulfill his oath to mortarion...nurgle revives him again, that demon fuses with typhus and then typhus gains the destroyer swarm. Typhus is definitely more favored by nurgle. Mortarion basically now has to be a tyrant to his whole legion because he's the biggest baddest dude on nurgles team.

Makes sense that Typhus is more favored than Mortarion, Typhus gifted Nurgle an entire legion after all.