Starting the sons of Russ...

KJB

Hello!

Finally, after many (many) years of mucking around I've taken the plunge decided on the Wolves...

So far, I've built up my Wolf Lord (counts as Ragnar)

gallery_576_16812_189015.png

gallery_576_16812_797348.png

gallery_576_16812_942017.png

Parts List (for anyone who cares)

Primaris Lieutenant body

Ragnars sword and hand

Left arm from the SW upgrade kit (minus chainsword)

Head from the SW upgrade kit

Shoulder pads from the Mk III plastic kit

Backpack from the Wulfen kit

Skull/feathers from the Raven Guard upgrade kit

I've just bought the following...

2x boxes of Assault Intercessors

1x box of Inceptors

1x box Aggressors

1x Invictor

1x Impulsor

1x Repulsor Executioner

Starting on the Assault Intercessors tonight*, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

* Well, once I finish AC Valhalla...

Edited by KJB

2x boxes of Assault Intercessors

1x box of Inceptors

1x box Aggressors

1x Invictor

1x Impulsor

1x Repulsor Executioner

Starting on the Assault Intercessors tonight*, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

* Well, once I finish AC Valhalla...

Welcome! My thoughts

-Assault Intercessors: I prefer Incursors, personally, but Assault Intercessors are still a good choice. I strongly recommend power fists on all the pack leaders/sergeants; They go very well with Hunters Unleashed

-Aggressors: Solid. If they're riding in a vehicle, stick with flamestorm gauntlets. I reccomend a 2nd box so you can run a unit of 5 to maximize the benefit of strategems (without dealing with the 6+ model coherency rules)

-Inceptors: These really need to carry plasma. They also really need to stick close to Ragnar or another Wolf Lord so they don't blow themselves up.

-Invictor: One invictor is lascannon/multi-melta bait above 500 points. 2 or 3 with support from Incursors and perhaps a Phobos Rune Priest is terrifying. Just don't use it as someone's first opponent.

-Impulsor: You're missing a shooty unit for it to carry. Maybe some Assault bolter Intercessors if your meta is horde heavy?

-Repulsor Executioner: This feels a little like overkill at this point. But it's not bad at all.

Purchases to consider;

-Long Fangs in a Drop Pod. Keen senses makes them particularly nasty

-A Rune Priest. Probably in phobos armor, or kept cheap as a Firstborn.

-Barebones Techmarine: Force multiply your Repulsor. Don't waste points on a Tempest hammer you will never use.

-I really, really like Incursors in any assault forcused chapter that lacks a bonus to movement speed. Being Primaris Wolf Scout/Grey Hunters even makes it fluffy.

-Company Command squads protect your warlord from sniper fire, and can spam special weapons. Plus, taking one means a company champion doesn't take an elites slot, and if you upgrade that company champion to chapter fhampion, you can get an aura of re-roll charges.

My first priority would be a 2nd HQ so you can field a battalion. Having a better warlord is also a good idea because Ragnar is locked into Warrior Born, and fight first is still hot garbage (Charging units also fight first, so your opponent still goes first if they charge). Fluff-wise, assume the Young King's brush with death has taught him the wisdom of delegation.

Edited by Squark

I really like the conversion, its clear which character you intend it to be and is still unique.

As far as build advice I think Squark's list of suggestions is pretty spot on.

I would suggest for the assault intercessors going with 3 squads of 5. For the weapon upgrades I'd suggest trying to use magnets so your pack leaders can have either the power fist or the thunder hammers. Right now fists are better but that won't always be the case, and the new Deathguard rules will make 3 damage weapons more important. 

For the final five I would look for some power sword and storm shield bits and build a unit of blade guard. They'll give your list a strong close combat unit that is pretty durable. In 9th you really need a unit that can take an objective and reliably live through your opponents turn which blade guard do fairly well. Plus your lord should have some Wolf Guard in his force. They also would be a great unit to put in your Impulsor. 

As far as the recommend units I would add the Primaris Chaplain (wolf priest) on a bike to the list. Wolf Priests are really good support characters and the bike adds a lot of durability and mobility.  I think the techmarine suggestion that Squark made is a good one, I'd probably go with the Primaris option because he can fit into your transports.

Cheers guys!

@Ranulf - I'm not entirely sure, I've always loved wolves since their White Dwarf codex back in the 90's - But was drawn to other smaller chapters (at the time) for some reason - Salamanders, Iron Hands etc.

@Squark - They were mostly models that I'd picked up for other projects and were languishing unused in the cupboard... (I know, I know) I also like the thought of Incursors, but am not a massive fan of the models

I made a slight change to the model, swapped the head and added the runic necklace

gallery_576_16812_514454.png