Terminator Load Out

Anthalt

Hi everyone!

I have been building a Space Marine army (Raven Guard successor) since the beginning of Covid, and it is coming along really well, but I haven't actually been able to play any games... so I could really use some help feeling out the competitive viability of load outs. In particular, I want to include a squad of terminators or relic terminators in my army, because I love how they look and happen to have an unbuilt box of cataphractii... but have no idea how to build them.

The builds I have been thinking of are:

1) Relic terminators with combi-bolter and Lightning claw

2) Relic terminators with combi-bolter and chainfist

3) Assault terminators with a pair of lightning claws

My reasoning is that both of the relic options bring a unique advantage over regular terminators. Option 1 is the cheapest bolter option and seems like a solid all-rounder. Option 2 has the advantage of being a standard chainfist terminator squad without needing to take a out of place power sword. Option 3 is just a classic close combat blender.

Has anyone had any success with ant of these? What's working? What is not?

My list honestly looks a lot like the top marine lists right now but would likely use these terminators instead of a unit of bladeguard. With that in mind, I suspect the claws probably most closely fill that role... but if given the option would the bolter claw combo be better?

Here’s what I run for my relic squad...

sergeant - grenade harness/plasma blaster/chainfist

3x terminator - combi-bolter/chainfist

terminator - heavy flamer/chainfist

Chainfists are flat 3D versus vehicles, I built my squad before the new codex... two powerfists would be good now for a mix.

Here’s what I run for my relic squad...

sergeant - grenade harness/plasma blaster/chainfist

3x terminator - combi-bolter/chainfist

terminator - heavy flamer/chainfist

Chainfists are flat 3D versus vehicles, I built my squad before the new codex... two powerfists would be good now for a mix.

Do you find that the additional 15 points is worth the seargant's chainfist and plasma over just the powersword of the standard terminator load out?

You'll definitely get more milage if they have combi bolters, though small tables in 9th help them get into CC.

A unit of 6 with combis, plasma blaster, and reaper with 3 claws, 3 fists (of your choice) might work well?

I think the reaper is a decent, cheap upgrade on the storm bolter. The AP-2 alone is worth it, never mind the additional S. 

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve start to build my Cataphractiis with power fist and chain fist during  the 8th. But with the lost of the 4+ invulnerable, I don’t see the advantage of the terminators relic over the classic terminator with the same load out.

As I play Blood Angels, I think to change them with Lightning claws instead of power fist. +1 to wound and reroll wound work very well on vanguard veterans, and the relic terminators are the only termi who can take Bolters and LC.

I’m just not sure about some options. Chainfist, none or a few in the squad  ? Heavy weapon (Heavy flammer / reaper canon ) with LC or power fist ? 

• 3 weeks later...

Relics with combi-bolters and LC's if you have bolter fusillades as successor trait are very flexible and efficient. I run normal terminators with 2 chain fists, 2 powers fists, the obligatory power sword on the sergeant (sigh) and the cyclone missile launcher. Very, very versatile and can contribute to every phase of the game, especially if plonked down on a mid-table objective. The storm bolters plink away at infantry, the missiles target heavies and the melee threat is decent.

That said, I am leaning more towards relic terminators as a replacement for at least one of the three terminator squads I currently have. The plan is to have 1 of BGV, 1 or 2 relic terminators with LCs and combi-bolters and maybe 1 of normal terminators with the missile launcher. I run bolter fusillades and whirlwind of rage, as both provide wide-spread, commonly available buffs (e.g. reroll 1s to bolters, free fits in many melee circumstances on a 6). I find that combination works really, really well with terminators, especially relic ones... 5 man squad would do 10 bolter shots, re-rolling 1s, LCs would be re-roll wounds, extra hit on a 6, means I can free up a captain for other units (e.g plasma inceptors or vanguard veterans) as they largely take care of themselves :smile.:

Edited by XeonDragon

Relics with combi-bolters and LC's if you have bolter fusillades as successor trait are very flexible and efficient. I run normal terminators with 2 chain fists, 2 powers fists, the obligatory power sword on the sergeant (sigh) and the cyclone missile launcher. Very, very versatile and can contribute to every phase of the game, especially if plonked down on a mid-table objective. The storm bolters plink away at infantry, the missiles target heavies and the melee threat is decent.

That said, I am leaning more towards relic terminators as a replacement for at least one of the three terminator squads I currently have. The plan is to have 1 of BGV, 1 or 2 relic terminators with LCs and combi-bolters and maybe 1 of normal terminators with the missile launcher. I run bolter fusillades and whirlwind of rage, as both provide wide-spread, commonly available buffs (e.g. reroll 1s to bolters, free fits in many melee circumstances on a 6). I find that combination works really, really well with terminators, especially relic ones... 5 man squad would do 10 bolter shots, re-rolling 1s, LCs would be re-roll wounds, extra hit on a 6, means I can free up a captain for other units (e.g plasma inceptors or vanguard veterans) as they largely take care of themselves :smile.:

They shoot 20 shots for a 5-man squad thanks to bolter discipline :-)

I'm running 10 Relic Terminators with a Sergeant with a Mastercrafted Plasma Blaster, 2 Reaper Autocannons and twin bolters all round.

Weapons - 3 power fists, a Chainfist and the rest Lightning Claws because they're cheaper models and carve through plenty.

Their job is to drop down, shoot a target to death in Tactical Doctrine, then use Commanding Oratory with a Chaplain to charge another unit. Cause havoc eh and problems for opponents whilst other units score points etc.

I have 3 terminator squads (2 relic and one assault)

I kit the relics with

1. 2 combi/power fist, 1 combi/chainfist, heavy flamer/chainfist, sergeant combi/chainfist/grenade harness

2. 2 combi/power fist, 1 combi/chainfist, reaper/chainfist, sergeant combi/chainfist/grenade harness

Assault 5x thunder hammer/storm shield

I kit the relics with

1. 2 combi/power fist, 1 combi/chainfist, heavy flamer/chainfist, sergeant combi/chainfist/grenade harness

2. 2 combi/power fist, 1 combi/chainfist, reaper/chainfist, sergeant combi/chainfist/grenade harness

Do you use all three in the same list? If so I'd imagine it's tough competition for Fury of the First!

Relics with combi-bolters and LC's if you have bolter fusillades as successor trait are very flexible and efficient. I run normal terminators with 2 chain fists, 2 powers fists, the obligatory power sword on the sergeant (sigh) and the cyclone missile launcher. Very, very versatile and can contribute to every phase of the game, especially if plonked down on a mid-table objective. The storm bolters plink away at infantry, the missiles target heavies and the melee threat is decent.

That said, I am leaning more towards relic terminators as a replacement for at least one of the three terminator squads I currently have. The plan is to have 1 of BGV, 1 or 2 relic terminators with LCs and combi-bolters and maybe 1 of normal terminators with the missile launcher. I run bolter fusillades and whirlwind of rage, as both provide wide-spread, commonly available buffs (e.g. reroll 1s to bolters, free fits in many melee circumstances on a 6). I find that combination works really, really well with terminators, especially relic ones... 5 man squad would do 10 bolter shots, re-rolling 1s, LCs would be re-roll wounds, extra hit on a 6, means I can free up a captain for other units (e.g plasma inceptors or vanguard veterans) as they largely take care of themselves :smile.:

They shoot 20 shots for a 5-man squad thanks to bolter discipline :-)

Ah yes... silly me for forgetting that. Makes my point about them vs BGV even more relevant: they can contribute in both the shooting and melee phases with aplomb :)

I'm running 10 Relic Terminators with a Sergeant with a Mastercrafted Plasma Blaster, 2 Reaper Autocannons and twin bolters all round.

Weapons - 3 power fists, a Chainfist and the rest Lightning Claws because they're cheaper models and carve through plenty.

Their job is to drop down, shoot a target to death in Tactical Doctrine, then use Commanding Oratory with a Chaplain to charge another unit. Cause havoc eh and problems for opponents whilst other units score points etc.

How can I like this twice? Please can I like this twice?!? THAT IS FREAKING AWESOME. LOVE IT! :D

I kit the relics with

Do you use all three in the same list? If so I'd imagine it's tough competition for Fury of the First!

I’ve yet to use all three in one list but I will once normal gaming happens again in my area.

Fury of the first depends on what I’m charging into against vehicles it definitely gets thrown on one of the relic squads with chain fists

For BT there is probably an argument for not using Fury of the First when you charge in. Better to not kill it in the first round, then lock it into combat in the opponent's turn with Tenacious Assault to keep safe from shooting and finish it off in their turn.