How are your games going in 9th so far?

Bulwyf

I have yet to lose a game in 9th with the Space Wolves. The list I have below is doing work for me. I am not saying it is the best list but it has handled several different armies and opponents at this point. I am very impressed by how the TWC are doing in 9th. The normal SM units we have that everyone knows are strong will always do work for you if you have them but it is nice to see TWC in there for us.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Space Wolves) [98 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**

**Chapter Selection**: Space Wolves

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Primaris Librarian [5 PL, 95pts]: 1. Living Lightning, 4. Instincts Awoken

Ragnar Blackmane [7 PL, 130pts]

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf [9 PL, 170pts]: Aura of Majesty, Chapter Command:  Chapter Master, Power fist, Storm shield, The Armour of Russ, Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Wolf Guard Terminators [9 PL, 190pts]
. Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour: Power fist, Storm bolter
. Wolf Guard Terminator Pack Leader: Power fist, Storm shield

+ Fast Attack +

Thunderwolf Cavalry [14 PL, 320pts]
. Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Power fist, Storm shield

+ Heavy Support +

Long Fangs [7 PL, 150pts]
. Long Fang: Missile launcher
. Long Fang Pack Leader: Astartes Chainsword
. . Boltgun and Bolt Pistol

++ Total: [98 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Congrats on your success.

I think you were the first person I saw using triple redemptor as a SW and it is gaining popularity now.

The online gaming community space wolves are just now spamming it in lists and have started winning RTT events with it.

And how are you finding the army wide HI plays?

I remember you were passionate about that.

Edited by TiguriusX

I think you were the first person I saw using triple redemptor as a SW and it is gaining popularity now.

The online gaming community space wolves are just now spamming it in lists and have started winning RTT events with it.

Thank you for the kind words. I believe I was the first person in 8th to use triple redemptors at least here and I am glad more ppl are giving it a shot. It definitely does work for you and creates so many targets for your opponent that they can't deal with all of them. Especially with the TWC running around and WG termies dropping down as well.

I have yet to use the army wide HI because my opponents stagger their movement/charges to keep it from triggering unless it would be a bad idea for me to do it. So as I predicted the rule is basically worthless at least for my gaming meta because my opponents know about it and plan accordingly .

I have also not lost a game yet either with the SW so I can't really complain for an overall picture to be fair. 

Pre Codex I was 12-1
New Codex 0-3 The first game I used an all Wulfen list from the old codex. The second game was just a straight up loss to an Ork Buggy list. The third game was v BA and I controlled the game until T4, a few bad dice rolls and my opponent kept his 1 wound smash capt alive with a re-roll 3 times that game. The game ended with 3 Intercessors, 2 Assault Intercessors and Smash Captain left alive for the BA and a SW Drop Pod hanging in there. 

Thank you for the kind words. I believe I was the first person in 8th to use triple redemptors at least here and I am glad more ppl are giving it a shot. It definitely does work for you and creates so many targets for your opponent that they can't deal with all of them. Especially with the TWC running around and WG termies dropping down as well.

I have yet to use the army wide HI because my opponents stagger their movement/charges to keep it from triggering unless it would be a bad idea for me to do it. So as I predicted the rule is basically worthless at least for my gaming meta because my opponents know about it and plan accordingly .

I have also not lost a game yet either with the SW so I can't really complain for an overall picture to be fair.

Now that we have the opportunity for Successor Traits, maybe you could ditch the default SW trait and go for the "Double Wounds for determining vehicle profile degradation", and maybe +1 to hit on the charge?

You'll lose SW special characters, Blood Claw special rules, and need to pay cp for good relics, but it could be worth it.

Hi, I'm a Space Wolves Player since 3d edition but I've started playin 9th few weeks ago when our Supplement was released.

Since that, games are going very bad. -_-

I've played 4 game with only 1 W.

All games vs Ultrmarines (competitive list but with Guilliman).

Most disappointing for me:

- my opponent is not an expert 40k player (and even in AoS, my win ratio against him is 80%)

-I build his list and manage improve it ^_^'

-I've played against him and the same list using a fluffy Deamon list (Nurgle + Tzeentch) and I got an easy win.

So, It's clear that I'm missing something with this new Supplement.

My list in 3 games (1 W, 2 L) is a sort of MSU with:

- Primaris Wolf Priest on bike

General: Sword of imperium, Saga of the Hunter; Relic: Benediction of Faith; Litanies: Canticle Of Hate, Mantra Of Strenght

- Rune Priest

Jump Pack; Psichic Powers: Storm Caller, Murderous Hurricane

- Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf

Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

- 6 Blood Claws

WGPL, Leader with Power Fist

- 6 Blood Claws

WGPL, Leader with Power Fist

- 5 Intercessors

Power Fist

- Redemptor full dakka

- Redemptor full dakka

- 3 Thunderwolves

1 Thunder Hammer, 3 Storm Shield

- 3 Thunderwolves

- 3 Thunderwolves

- 3x Eradicators

- 3x Eradicators

- Rhino

- Rhino

I think I've selected only competitive units to build the list and, on paper, it seems to have everything I need:

- hard hitting and fast Heroes;

- useful Psy Powers;

- good mobility;

- some quality antitank firepower;

- decent dakka against infantry;

- units that fits good with our stratagems;

- a lot of dmg 3+ weapons;

What I'm missing? :(

(The other game's list had a better body count, without Blood Claws on Rhinos and Cavalry but with 30 Intercessors and 3+3 Outriders but was a Total failure. Too slow and no hard hitting)

Edited by Shaft

I don't run firstborn anymore so I'm far from an expert but it doesn't look like you have a hammer unit in your list. I wouldn't be surprised if a 5 man Intercessor squad would survive a charge from a squad of your thunderwolves without stratagems. If you look at Bulwyf's list above the terminators and the thunderwolves would go through them quick even if I used the transhuman stratagem.

After a quick skim, it looks like you're still building for 7th. The list is very good for a straight up fight, but I'm not seeing units for controlling the midfield.

You have to get stuff on the primary objectives t1 to maximize scoring t2-5. The list looks like a ton of hammers that are either outflanking or running straight at the enemy, not controlling the center. The three six man squads are an easy target.

Other than that, I'd have to see a batrep.

• 3 weeks later...

Well not having played since 4th edition properly and having gotten rid of all my Space wolf models i recently got back into  the hobby after purchasing the warhammer first strike box.  

A few months ago, played a game with the kids then watched a YouTube painting tutorial and realised that box set was 8th edition and 9th was just released so bought the recruit edition.  I used the 9th edition rules in that and played with the kids again.  

Will play that next week with the kids with some more models.  

Does this count Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Dreads got a good buff all-round at the start of 9th as they can now move and fire without penalty and get "Duty Eternal" built in. This makes it easier to leverage their combination of firepower and melee potential. Our Dreads are as good as anyone else's at shooting but hitting on 2s in the first round of melee as well as exploding 6s from T3 onwards means they pack a mean punch in the late game if not dealt with early.

Dakka Redemptors can also shoot their entire payload in melee (albeit at -1 to-Hit) meaning that anyone attempting to tarpit them with chaff units will get blown away while their fists will put significant damage on elite targets. The Plasma version is also good as it has 2D on the basic profile meaning it will kill Marines on a 2+. It also has 3D when overcharging making it great for use against Terminators, Heavy Intercessors etc.

I am planning a slight variation on this theme with a Dreadmob consisting of Bjorn, a Redemptor and a Contemptor esorted by an Iron Priest with the Armour of Russ. The bigger Dreads prevent Bjorn from being targetted on the way in. Bjorn provides them both with Rerolls and packs a devastating punch in melee, even against LOWs. The Iron Priest can give one of them +1 to-Hit, patch up some damage and HI to freeze an opponent in place if they get charged by something nasty. It's a lot of eggs in one basket but also a lot of fun stomping up the middle of the board.

Edited by Karhedron

I posted the slight variation to my OG list on the army list board. I swapped out one power on the librarian and gave him the relic that makes opposing pyskers make +1 more on their tests.

I still have not lost a game with the list. The TWC ability to get across the board and create havoc is allowing the rest of the army to get on objectives and just sit on them round after round. The mass shooting of 3 Redemptors, the long fangs and termies along with 4 squads of 30 inch Intercessors softens up anything before it even thinks about engaging in melee. And when it does, well, SW can fight with anyone in the game.

I am a bit late to the thread but what makes redemptors so good for us? thanks

I made a separate thread showing batreps from the top player I know using SW redemptors competitively

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368506-twitch-batreps-from-a-top-tier-sw-3xredemptors-and-logan/

He got my attention because I saw him beat harlies multiple times with his list.

Harlies are my kryponite so I am trying to learn from him.

A redemptor handles almost all the roles you need in a game

-anti tank shooting (S9 AP4 D3 d6 shots from plasma) + (S7 AP1 Dd3 d3 shots from icarus rocket pod)

-horde shooting (8 gatlings and 4-8 stormbolters)

-melee (d3+3 damage with the fist)

-durability (T7 with 13 wounds and duty eternal)

He uses plasma redemptors as a deathstar that moves to middle of the table and controls the flow of the game

He has a librarian to make their defense even better

Psychic fortress + storm caller + cloaked by the storm

Now the dreads have -1 to be hit and cover plus an invulnerable make them 2+/5++

The SW specific traits mean you can't melee one of them b/c heroic intervention gets everyone involved

The SW specific traits also mean they hit on 2s in melee if not bracketed

They aren't super OP and broken but they are extremely efficient at 185 points

I just started experimenting with them and am learning how to use them

They are a stand off shooting force that can counter assault very well

• 2 weeks later...

i am doing really well with 1000points games.

Played 2 Times for now and won both:

I basically contain the enemy in their quarter and get points by holding Objectives and with Warriors Spirit/Engage on all Fronts.

My Cyberwolves hold the Back Objectives the rest goes into the middle. Bloodclaws/HQ Charge Turn 1 while Longfangs clear Vehicles

My List

1x Captain/Wolf Lord Armor of Russ (DP)

1x Chaplain/Wolf Priest Wulfenstone/Canticle of Hate (DP)

2x 5 Bloodclaws (in DP)

1x 7 GreyHunters 2x Plasma (1 Combi)

1x Claw/Shield WulfenDread 2xFlamer

2x Cyberwolfes

6x Longfangs 1xMelta 4xPlasma Cherub (DP)

2x Droppods

the List is basically made from TiguriusX Lists

Edited by Donkalleone

Anyone try using Heavy Intercessors with Executor bolt rifle + Executor heavy bolter to hold the closest objective? Seems like a unit of 10 would be able to cover a good chunk of the board (and the primaris strat would make them a very tough nut to crack).

Heavy Intercessors aren't out yet so I have not tried them. Having said that, they do look like they will do exactly what they say on the tin. Transhuman Physiology gives them extra protection vs heavy weapons and the strat that gives them +1 save vs 1D weapons protects them from small arms fire.

They are expensive though and without some playtesting, I can't decide if a big blob would be effective. As a home Objective holder, they look pretty solid and I can see them pairing well with some Infiltrators to hold the Objectives near your deployment zone. This gives you an early lead on Objectives and forces your opponent to split attention. Between the Smokescreen strat and the Helix Adept, Infiltrators are also just a bit more annoying to shift than regular infantry, especially in cover.

How does this help? Well if you are starting off with a strong grip on at least a couple of Objectives, you make it hard for your opponents to outscore you on Primaries and this is something that they have to react to. If they use firepower, we have stratagems to make it a tough job to remove those units and it means all the damage they tank is not going into our more expensive units. If they try to charge in early, they will have to use some sort of elite unit which will then leave said unit exposed to our counter-charges.

Edited by Karhedron

I just pivoted my play style with the new DG meta and am experimenting with CQC and survival as my primary tools.  My old lists didn't have enough concentrated and reliable firepower to kill the super tank zombies we will be seeing on the field.  When I tried to increase firepower I found myself too weak with the remaining melee units.

My new experiments are a focus on becoming a mobile tactical wolf instead of a kill everything in sight wolf.  I hug walls and stay out of LOS then use infantry breaching walls to get were I need to go.  I move into positions near objectives and prepare for a counter assault. Turns 1 and 2 are very little action unless my opponent comes at me like a kamikaze.

I am now infantry centric with a focus on heavy armor

Almost every unit has a storm shield

-1 unit of 4xBGV.

-2 units of 5xJump WG with LC/SS

1-unit of 5xWG Terminators with 5xSB/SS and a CML (these guys have replaced my aggressor experiment as my anti horde unit)

The durability of these units goes up with storm caller and cloaked by the storm so I can maneuver as needed

The foundation the list is built on is that my main fighting force can survive a null zone bubble if I need to cast it.  Early experiments with null zone taught me it is a double edged sword and I was paying a price to use it.

I am finding the threat of a null zone counter attack and my LF melta DP have a massive influence on where my opponent goes and how aggressive they choose to be.  I no longer send my LF melta DP as an aggressive strike to remove the biggest threat on the board.  I am finding it much more effective to drop near other units and help me wipe out an entire flank.  If this means leaving things alive on the other flank then so be it...I maneuver around it.

A side effect from my new play style I was not expecting has been I am occasionally surviving the shooting phase when I expect a unit to be wiped out...whether the improved armor save and SS kick in or the enemy simply doesn't want to fully commit and gets bit by RNG...the final result has been something I did not expect.

I have had a few games lately where something survives when I expected them to be wiped out.  I am now learning how much carnage random survivors can do and it is hilarious.

Yesterday I sacrificed wolf guard to take the center objective in sweep and clear.  Got me domination and direct assault so it was worth throwing them away.  Eldar responded by driving a wave serpent over and moving in a unit of striking scorpions on the objective.  When his shooting phase was done (vypers and wave serpents and lots of shurikens in his army splitting fire on this unit and pressure I was putting on him elsewhere) he had only killed 2/5 WG so he had to charge in or suffer a HI anyways...he only killed 2 more so the pack leader with a LC/SS proceeded to get a few exploding 6s and wiped the entire striking scorpion squad including an exarch with an invulnerable (that was the risky one if he had hot dice he would have saved the unit)  End result was a WG and a wave serpent sharing an objective to deny him direct assault points.

Against imperial guard on scorched earth a unit of WG I moved up to plant a banner on a mid objective and use as bait to draw out the enemy unexpectedly survived a hail of shots.  The 3 survivors casually jumped over all his nearby troops and went after the chaff holding his DZ objective the following turn...3 WG easily slaughtered his 10 man unit and consolidated into a tank to prevent shooting.

I didn't get many plays like this with my old list. 

My previous play styles have always been favoring expensive elite units...as a result I tended to play much more conservatively and make the safe low risk moves.  But with no risk comes no reward.  I'm enjoying this new style of throwing disposable but durable bodies into the frying pan.  It is moderate risk instead of low risk but I am seeing the benefit side as well  because sometimes RNG and YOLO happens.

TLDR-Recap

I love how the entire meta shifts as new codexes and combos drop.  I have had to adjust and change my style because the DG ripple has changed the types of things I am seeing

Some interesting Wolves lists here: https://www.goonhammer.com/competitive-innovations-in-9th-lvno-winner-hobart-gt/ 

1st and 3rd in an Aussie GT with two quite different lists - unsurprisingly Thunderwolves are proving to be a staple but the inclusion of two squads of Grav Long Fangs is interesting - even if most of us probably don't have them as they're a new inclusion for us.

The 3rd place list by Charlie Williams is definitely more my speed. A Leviathan has been on the buy list for a while and I am firmly convinced that a Bike Wolf Priest is one of our best units in the Codex, especially if you burn a couple of CP on him. 

Still, seems to prove we are still a force to be reckoned with!

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best answer a Primaris based wolf army has for Plague Burst Crawlers. The indirect fire has been pretty brutal for me to deal with. I've wanted storm speeders since they were spoiled so I'm going to try running 2 hammer strikes (for the record I think MM attack bikes, and fangs in pod both would be superior options) just to see if the speed and fly put me in a position to get one out of the way quickly, or at the very least keep my scoring on the board for longer. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best answer a Primaris based wolf army has for Plague Burst Crawlers. The indirect fire has been pretty brutal for me to deal with. I've wanted storm speeders since they were spoiled so I'm going to try running 2 hammer strikes (for the record I think MM attack bikes, and fangs in pod both would be superior options) just to see if the speed and fly put me in a position to get one out of the way quickly, or at the very least keep my scoring on the board for longer.

My first game v new PBC sucked.

The extra BS and super las cannon if they have direct LOS are brutal.

There is no "quick" way to remove them either if the DG player knows what he is doing.

They can screen and reduce movement by half for anything that gets remotely close

I am not sure I would invest too heavily in Grav as Dreadnought and DG now have the -1D damage rule. It may be worth keeping a variety of heavy weapons if this rule becomes more common.

Even with Disgustingly Resilient, Grav is still 4x S5 AP-3 shots. That's still very useful for putting the hurt on Death Guard.