Unit of the Week: Ophydian Destroyers

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

47833310252_ac595e79b1_c.jpg

Welcome to the Unit of the Week Series!

Each week a different unit will be highlighted for discussion until we have amalgamated a full list of our available options and their relevant tactics as 9th edition evolves. This will include not only matched play, but free play considerations as well as Crusade, as these methods of play are just as relevant and exciting.

Please keep in mind this isn't to lament the status of featured units or compare them to others but to try and find their potential for all types of gameplay.

This week’s unit is:

Ophydian Destroyers

As a loose guide, here are some thought-provoking questions to consider and cogitate as we discuss this week's unit(s):

• what unit sizes do you think are best? Are max units useful for reanimation protocols purposes (or in spite of it), or are minimal units that are more easily hidden better?
  • Do you find the risk of a Plasmacyte worth the benefits of being extra-choppy?
  • Do you make use of the Tunnelling Horrors rule?
  • Is character support worth the investment, or do you fire-and-forget, so to speak?
  • How do you use this unit in your listbuilding process?
  • What are overall strengths and weakness of this unit?
  • Which stratagems synergize well with this unit?
  • Which specific Crusade benefits best suit this unit?

The floor is yours, honored Nobles and Crypteks!

They are a nice unit to pressure the opponent's DZ with the ability to DS.

Imo these guys are a Novokh unit, they like to stay in melee and you'll want them making the charge from DS.

The datasheet mentions they have 2 Reap-Blades, in contrast to Skorpekh Destroyers having one. Is there any benefit to this?

Plasmacytes are a little odd here, since they can't follow Ohpydians into reserves, I assume most won't be using it.

They are in direct competition with Flayed Ones and without doing the maths, Flayed Ones are the better unit.

They are a nice unit to pressure the opponent's DZ with the ability to DS.

Imo these guys are a Novokh unit, they like to stay in melee and you'll want them making the charge from DS.

The datasheet mentions they have 2 Reap-Blades, in contrast to Skorpekh Destroyers having one. Is there any benefit to this?

Plasmacytes are a little odd here, since they can't follow Ohpydians into reserves, I assume most won't be using it.

They are in direct competition with Flayed Ones and without doing the maths, Flayed Ones are the better unit.

Plasmacytes can deep strike :) And the synergy with Ophydians is nuts. Don't quote me as I don't have the dex on me at the moment, but I believe they have 6 attacks base, 7 with novokh, 8 with the Plasmacyte. The sheer amount of mutilation these guys can put out on the charge with the hungering void protocol is bonkers. I prefer units of 6 to get the second reap blade and charging out of deep strike. They're too fragile to start on the board IMO. They are also a late game obj grabber with their 1 cp stratagem to redeploy. Edited by Kaldoth

As far as I know, Plasmacytes are a seperate unit that needs to stick with Destroyers to stay alive. Plasmacytes can use dimensional corridor, thus there is the option to Deep Strike with Ophydians.

Using the strat to put Ophydians back into reserves would kill the Plasmacyte as it cannot do the same. I'll read the strat later to confirm whether this be the case.

Edit: Correction to the Deep Strike ability

Edited by Get Thokt

Oh boy. Ohhhhhh boy. I love these spindly little killers. They are by far my favourite unit in my list.

Full squad of 6 ruins the day of most things they touch. Those reap blades doing extra hits on 6s to hit is just so tasty. These guys are always my mvp in the games I've had.

These days I start them on the fieof as my opponents are too Wiley and effectively deny me DS areas. I like to run them near my transcendent Ctan as the Ctan generally takes more fire and diverts attention away from them.

I have tried them with the plasmacyte, Nd the results were great, but I don't do it at all as I'm known for rolling lots of 1s and am afraid of killing my unit off.

I run Nephrekh, so the 6++ comes in clutch to save these guys. Had 3 of these guys do the lions share of damage to a Lord of skulls in last game and just got really lucky with those invos.

Also with the Nephrekh, they have the strat to put something in deep strike reserves, so one could deepstrike a plasmacyte with them. Not tried this myself as like I said; Wiley opponents.

I must ask the obvious, are they better than wraiths?...

I think it depends on what you want them to do. By themselves, I believe Ophydians are better... if you only want them to rip and tear. They have better mobility with their built-in deep strike and access to Tunneling Horrors strat, better WS w/ rerolling 1's, and higher damage output simply due to their pair of Reap Blades. But they're so flimsy compared to Wraiths.

Wraiths don't hit as often or as hard, but they're far more durable. And still incredibly mobile. I think they're better if you're going for a more balanced approach (holding objectives, being a counter-charge unit, or as a missile like the Ophydians). 

Ophydians do one thing and they do that one thing very well: kill. Wraiths can't kill as well, but they can do more.

That's all just my own opinion. Maybe the Mathhammer says I'm completely wrong, I don't know. Regardless, I'm partial to Ophydians. I like having more killing power and letting things like my Warriors and other units deal with the other tasks to win the game.

Yup, it's the durability of Ophydians that worries me. I'm sure there's probably place in a list for both. 6 of each I'm sure would cause plenty of distraction.

I'm looking at a core of a 60 Warriors and adding from there.

It's odd as fast attack slots for us are more of a head scratcher than other sections. (Which is a great luxury as they're all viable choices)

Edited by 01RTB01

Canoptek Plasmacytes have Dimensional Translocation, so they Deep Strike. They have 8" movement vs the Oph's 10", so they might get left behind long term, and have to be 3" from Destroyers to be useful, so gotta be making them charges too. I do wish they'd left them in the same unit as an extra wound and the same charge, but I guess it doesn't matter for their points.

vs Wraiths, they certainly look cooler IMO, and if there was a destroyer Lord around it'd help them, but the Wraiths are more rounded with actual shooting and a 4+ invul and there's a lot of stuff to buff Canoptek. Wonder why we didn't get an Ophidian Lord.

Also, the "2 Hyperphase Reap Blade" just seems to be reflected in the "hit roll of 6 = 1 more hit" rule, since the Skorp's have 1 and don't have that rule.

I was thinking of a two detachment army, one full of destroyers with a couple crypteks and flayed ones and a dynasty focused on them and the other with legions of warriors and canopteks and a couple crypteks and a dynasty focused on them, abandoning Command Protocols entirely, but never really fleshed it out since Psychomancer and Chronomancer are still AWOL.

This is a bit tangent-y, but I feel like a bit of a breakdown is needed considering recent replies to this topic when it comes to "unit of the week" discussion. I'm going to briefly touch on two other units and then get back to my favorite murder boys.

Ophydian Destroyers, bar none, are our most potent close combat unit when it comes to pure killing power. There are two other contenders for the title, but they both fall extremely short of it.

Contender #1: Wraiths. These guys are one of our most (if not the most) survivable and mobile close combat unit in our dex. They've got a buttload of attacks, can move through stuff as if it weren't there, and they have a built in invul. They're amazing as a tar pit/obj holder kind of unit just like last edition, and with the right dynasty key words/stratagems they can be even more of a nuisance than normal.

Contender #2: Skorpekh Destroyers. They are really good in close combat, they've got great survivability with stratagem support, and they can dish our some serious damage with a Plasmacyte and reroll support. These guys are now a bread and butter melee murder machine for most Necron players.

But, when it comes to Ophydians... No other unit in this unit size/point tier comes anywhere close to their pure killing power. While Wraiths are on one side of survivability and Skorpekhs are the happy middle between staying power and combat output... Ophydians are the kings of murdering every unit in the game. Elites, infantry, vehicles, it doesn't matter. They win by miles when it comes to damage output and only damage output. Ophydians have far more attacks and maneuverability than Wraiths or Skorpekhs baseline, let alone with stratagems, dynasty choice, and a plasmacyte. They are the definition of a glass cannon unit. They will die if you don't play them correctly, but when they are given the right deployment choice and support rolls when needed they mince everything and anything in sight.

Edited by Kaldoth

I haven't. The models are cool enough for me to get in the future. I'd say Wraiths are at least on par when it comes to maneuverability (in their own way). And I don't see Ophydians taking out a decent vehicle. Of course this is all my opinion and I'm happy just to see different points of views on this amazing unit.

To add, 3 full units of Wraiths and Ophydians would cause so much mayhem for your opponent lol

Edited by Get Thokt

Yeah they're murder machines.

In one game a couple weeks ago, a single squad of 6 took out:

2x 10 pox walkers

1 hellbrute

Polished off Typhus

1 nurgle terminator chaos Lord

Taken off half the wounds off a plagueburst crawler (only because by then they were reduced to 2 or 3 models).

The other day, a mere 3 of them took 18 wounds off a Lord of skull over 3 turns. Their native -1 to hit in combat makes a huge difference to their survivability in the right situation.

Against combat beasts the hit on 2s, going to 3s isn't too big of a change; but a unit that hits on 3s, that shift to 4s makes a big change to the combat if the target gets to swing back.

I've got some Christmas pennies to spend so if our local still has the two boxes it had... (It's a small toyshop with some GW stock)

After reading this thread I've decided to give a unit ago and ordered two boxes

Going to try a list like this for abit of fun.

++ Outrider Detachment -3CP (Necrons) [57 PL, 9CP, 1,080pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment CP [-3CP]

Dynasty Choice: Circumstance of Awakening: Relentlessly Expansionist, Dynastic Tradition: Eternal Conquerors, Dynasty: <Custom>

+ No Force Org Slot +

Bound Creation [2 PL, 40pts]

. Cryptothralls

. . 2x Cryptothrall: 2x Scouring Eye, 2x Scythed Limbs

Viral Construct [1 PL, 15pts]: Canoptek Plasmacyte

+ HQ +

Chronomancer [6 PL, 110pts]: Arkana: Countertemporal Nanomines, Entropic Lance

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [4 PL, 90pts]

. 6x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 6x Feeder Mandibles

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [4 PL, 90pts]

. 6x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 6x Feeder Mandibles

Canoptek Wraiths [10 PL, 175pts]

. 5x Canoptek Wraith (Claws): 5x Vicious Claws

Ophydian Destroyers [10 PL, 210pts]

. 2x Ophydian Destroyer (Reap-Blade): 2x Ophydian Claws, 2x Two Hyperphase Reap-Blades

. 4x Ophydian Destroyer (Thresher): 4x Hyperphase Threshers, 4x Ophydian Claws

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Necrons) [49 PL, 914pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment CP

Dynasty Choice: Circumstance of Awakening: Relentlessly Expansionist, Dynastic Tradition: Eternal Conquerors, Dynasty: <Custom>

+ HQ +

Skorpekh Lord [7 PL, 130pts]: Relic: Veil of Darkness, Warlord, Warlord Trait (Codex 1): Enduring Will

+ Troops +

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 208pts]

. 16x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 16x Gauss Reaper

Necron Warriors [12 PL, 221pts]

. 17x Necron Warrior (Gauss Reaper): 17x Gauss Reaper

+ Elites +

Lychguard [14 PL, 280pts]: 10x Lychguard

. Hyperphase Sword and Dispersion Shield

+ Fast Attack +

Canoptek Scarab Swarms [4 PL, 75pts]

. 5x Canoptek Scarab Swarm: 5x Feeder Mandibles

++ Total: [106 PL, 9CP, 1,994pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

This is a bit tangent-y, but I feel like a bit of a breakdown is needed considering recent replies to this topic when it comes to "unit of the week" discussion. I'm going to briefly touch on two other units and then get back to my favorite murder boys.

Ophydian Destroyers, bar none, are our most potent close combat unit when it comes to pure killing power. There are two other contenders for the title, but they both fall extremely short of it.

Contender #1: Wraiths. These guys are one of our most (if not the most) survivable and mobile close combat unit in our dex. They've got a buttload of attacks, can move through stuff as if it weren't there, and they have a built in invul. They're amazing as a tar pit/obj holder kind of unit just like last edition, and with the right dynasty key words/stratagems they can be even more of a nuisance than normal.

Contender #2: Skorpekh Destroyers. They are really good in close combat, they've got great survivability with stratagem support, and they can dish our some serious damage with a Plasmacyte and reroll support. These guys are now a bread and butter melee murder machine for most Necron players.

But, when it comes to Ophydians... No other unit in this unit size/point tier comes anywhere close to their pure killing power. While Wraiths are on one side of survivability and Skorpekhs are the happy middle between staying power and combat output... Ophydians are the kings of murdering every unit in the game. Elites, infantry, vehicles, it doesn't matter. They win by miles when it comes to damage output and only damage output. Ophydians have far more attacks and maneuverability than Wraiths or Skorpekhs baseline, let alone with stratagems, dynasty choice, and a plasmacyte. They are the definition of a glass cannon unit. They will die if you don't play them correctly, but when they are given the right deployment choice and support rolls when needed they mince everything and anything in sight.

Superior contender: Flayed Ones?! I know they haven't got their new plastic yet but they exist.

Superior contender: Flayed Ones?! I know they haven't got their new plastic yet but they exist.

As much as I like Flayed ones, you give up far too much for melee based Warriors for them, sure you'll probably kill whatever you target due to throwing a bucket of dice, but they're too easy to shoot of the board if you go for max squads and min aren't worth it.  And I'd rather take the option to maybe hide the Skorpheks who threaten heavier targets more reliably.

Baaack on topic I've only had 2 games online with my friends where I've used the Ophydian's and both times they proved that if they can touch anything Elite infantry wise they will absolutely nuke them, but be shot off the board the next turn once your opponent realizes that they delete any MSU Elite unit in the game with little issue and can smack Monsters pretty easily.