C'tan Restoration

Brother Kraskor

A question for the loremasters out there please (forgive my ignorance):

Are there any factions in the established lore seeking to restore the C'tan? If the Necrons have the technology to break them up into Shards, presumably it wouldn't be beyond feasibility for them to be capable of restoring them. Or even if the technology doesn't exist they would be well-placed to try and create it. 

So do any Necrons think they were better off under the C'tan? Or do they all feel the Deceiver's betrayal too keenly?

I am not aware of any confirmed cases of this happening but there are many and varied dynasties with varying degrees of insanity.

I like the notion that there are some particularly crazy factions out there worshipping C'tan shards and possibly even reassembling them.

In "The Great work" Bellesarius Cawl encounters a C'tan shard of Zaralush the Potentate that has consumed several other shards and is well on its way to restoring itself. Whilst nowhere near full power, it is still extremely dangerous and appears to have recovered its personality and memories.

It is hard to tell if the Necrons are smart for keeping the shards separated or arrogant for not destroying them completely.

I am not aware of any confirmed cases of this happening but there are many and varied dynasties with varying degrees of insanity.

I like the notion that there are some particularly crazy factions out there worshipping C'tan shards and possibly even reassembling them.

In "The Great work" Bellesarius Cawl encounters a C'tan shard of Zaralush the Potentate that has consumed several other shards and is well on its way to restoring itself. Whilst nowhere near full power, it is still extremely dangerous and appears to have recovered its personality and memories.

It is hard to tell if the Necrons are smart for keeping the shards separated or arrogant for not destroying them completely.

Interesting! I wonder if Zaralush got lucky with some sloppy jailors and a couple Shards in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if there was a sufficiently insane Necron behind it.

As far as arrogant for destroying them completely, I remember from when the fluff was introduced that the Necrons were said not to be capable of destroying the C'tan completely. Breaking them up was the best they could manage. Whether that's changed in the intervening years I don't know: I suspect there's definitely an element of pride in chaining up those who once held their leashes.

I think a Dynasty hell-bent on restoring the C'tan would be interesting. You could well imagine a particularly bloodthirsty Overlord who saw the transference as a benefit and was quite happy to burn the galaxy for his star god masters. They would've chafed under the Silent King's command protocols, and now they're free and awake have set their sights on acquiring as many Shards as possible.

Interesting! I wonder if Zaralush got lucky with some sloppy jailors and a couple Shards in the wrong place at the wrong time, or if there was a sufficiently insane Necron behind it.

Seems like a mix of carelessness on the part of the Necrons and a bit of luck on the part pf the C'tan. It definitely wasn't intentional though. Here is the passage.

For aeons we have been imprisoned within this mountain. For aeons we

have plotted our revenge. Eight fragments of eight gods were given over

to slavery here. We consumed the others to survive. The necrontyr are

fools. They are arrogant. They kept too large a piece of us alive to power

this nodal point of theirs. They will regret it, for we remember what we

were, and what we will one day be again.

We are the ultimate manifestation of order. No logic or illogic can bind me.

We are Zarhulash, the Potentate. We are C’tan, of the stars and the

tides of time and light. We are the manifestation of this universe’s form

and being. We are a god, and you will serve me. Set me free.

My personal Dynasty is a group of C'tan Restorationists so it's something close to my heart. I love the cosmic horror theme.

Yes I was disappointed when Ward first made them space Tomb Kings! But then it did reinvigorate a dying line of models so I guess there's that. 

Honestly newcron lore is best treated as "unreliable narrator" and anything after 3e stated as a blanket rule for them (aka: the generic necron scheme is led by a prima donna who doesn't understand the concept of killing enemy leadership, the ridiculous monarchy/social structure that feels like it should never have discovered the combustion engine let alone managed to become a society that gets into a fight with the old ones, everything about the silent king in terms of his specifics) should be flat out ignored if it contradicts your homebrew because I'm very sure random  homebrewers can come up with a more compelling narrative for Necron worldbuilding than the GW official writers managed, by and large.

aka: toss canon lore out the airlock, do your own thing and it's almost certain to be better than GW's take. C'tan restorationists (acolytes of the broken god?) sounds like a great concept.

Edited by Lucerne

It's funny. I have a friend who played Necrons from the original WD Raiders list. His Lord was a sort of pirate king character and he was very annoyed when the Necrons all got reduced to mindless slaves of the C'tan. I think the 5th edition retcon was a breath for fresh air for him as it reintroduced variety.

End of the day, pick the version of canon you like best and go with it. :smile.:

It's funny. I have a friend who played Necrons from the original WD Raiders list. His Lord was a sort of pirate king character and he was very annoyed when the Necrons all got reduced to mindless slaves of the C'tan. I think the 5th edition retcon was a breath for fresh air for him as it reintroduced variety.

End of the day, pick the version of canon you like best and go with it. :smile.:

Aha plus ça change...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My personal Dynasty is a group of C'tan Restorationists so it's something close to my heart. I love the cosmic horror theme.

That's pretty cool.

Honestly newcron lore is best treated as "unreliable narrator" and anything after 3e stated as a blanket rule for them ...

Heh, and the 3rd Ed lore wasn't much more reliable if you think about it, since it was based on Mechanicum and Inquisition research.

Pretty much this, and even the 5th Edition lore supports this by several different methods.  Remember a few of the lords came out as either insane or forgetful.  Remember that one of the Special Characters thought he was still fighting Necrontyr when fighting Orks.  To think that a Dynasty forgot that C'tan were bad guys and still followed a cult is well within the realm of possibility.

If I ever get back in to building up an army of Necrons, I was going to put them in to the position of trying to Necrontize the galaxy because their memory is still stuck at that point in history.

The alternative was to paint Ghost Arks as Yellow Taxis and Doosmday Arks as Pizza Delivery vehicles.

Edited by Kristoff