Deathwatch decor - how much uniqueness do they retain?

jimbo1701

Hi all,

Quick opinion / fluff question. How much uniqueness would deathwatch armour retain. For example, my force is a mixture of primaris, mk8 veterans and several other power armour variants from a time before the others existed. Aside from painting the armour black and retaining the shoulder pads, would chapters retain other features? I’m thinking things like space wolf runes and pelts, dark angel robes and Templar tabards. Anyone know the answers from a canon source?

Even though a Battle-Brother paints most of his armour black to symbolise his new role in the Deathwatch, he does not leave all the accoutrements of his home Chapter behind any more than he leaves his loyalty, training, or beliefs. Most chapters have characteristic adornments that they wear into battle aside from Chapter heraldry, and it is quite common to find Battle-Brothers serving in the Deathwatch continuing to wear at least one such small token of that history at all times...

Images of Deathwatch battle-brothers throughout the various Deathwatch RPG books include numerous instances of accoutrements from parent Chapters, including tabards on Black Templars, robles on Dark Angels, etc.

Thanks chaps, kill team Cassius would have been a good place for me to start in retrospect..... (was just about to go to sleep and was planning deathwatch stuff so not using brain)

That answers my question regarding normal power armoured marines, ie firstborn marines who retain their parent chapter armour on induction. Next questions:

1. No reason that primaris can’t be treated in exactly the same manner I guess, just that the models themselves require more conversion work due to their generic nature.

2. How would this apply to the mk8 errant armour, which to my knowledge is adopted by inductees to the deathwatch (ie exchanged for their original armour during the tenure of their secondment). Robe wearing etc would be fine as they simply slip over the new armour, but would they be permitted to add affectations such as carved runes etc to their ‘borrowed’ armour.

Thanks chaps, kill team Cassius would have been a good place for me to start in retrospect..... (was just about to go to sleep and was planning deathwatch stuff so not using brain)

That answers my question regarding normal power armoured marines, ie firstborn marines who retain their parent chapter armour on induction. Next questions:

1. No reason that primaris can’t be treated in exactly the same manner I guess, just that the models themselves require more conversion work due to their generic nature.

2. How would this apply to the mk8 errant armour, which to my knowledge is adopted by inductees to the deathwatch (ie exchanged for their original armour during the tenure of their secondment). Robe wearing etc would be fine as they simply slip over the new armour, but would they be permitted to add affectations such as carved runes etc to their ‘borrowed’ armour.

1. Yes, Primaris can have as much "bling" as firstborn. So if your Primaris Space Wolf want his wolfpelt he can have it.

2. Marines joining DW keep the armour they wear, they repaint it. Look at KT Cassius, there are different marks in that kill team.

1. Yes, Primaris can have as much "bling" as firstborn. So if your Primaris Space Wolf want his wolfpelt he can have it.

2. Marines joining DW keep the armour they wear, they repaint it. Look at KT Cassius, there are different marks in that kill team.

Key word: "can".

Especially for point 2. The existence of Deathwatch Veteran models shows that some Firstborn don't keep their armor, just as Kill Team Cassius shows that some do.

There is a lot of freedom in modeling Deathwatch in terms of armor marks, "bling", etc. 

Edited by RandyB

I used some of the Primaris Lieutenants for Deathwatch members to add more Chapter-specific iconography. Example here:

2zEY92w.jpg

The Codex has a story about the induction process. Talks about keeping one shoulder pad and being presented with the new silver one. Doesn't say anything about having their armor replaced.

From a modelling perspective, I've picked out models going back to 2nd edition. The main rule seems to be: paint them black and keep the left arm silver. Other than that, you can include a lot of variety.

That said, I use the new Veteran sculpts for things like Thunderhammers and heavy weapons. I use older sculpts for things like boltguns and storm shields. Just looks better.

Personally I've been in opinion based on my own military experience that in a unit of highly elite warriors there has to be the perfect balance between uniformity and personal specialization.

The mk8 power armor is the most advanced and integrated with technology to allow them to be highly independent. But like the mk8 and primaris mk 10 it doesn't cover all roles needed.

I try to put all the arms, backpacks, heads and helmets that show off all the extra gadgets that you'd normally only see in specialized units or commanders/officers.

Seeing how not every marine is created the same way including the technology side. Which could also be affected by stockpile of armor and weapons. I can imagine some parts of a marines suit needs to be integrated into the DW armor so its compatible with his implants and Physiology.

But I would say its prudent to use as much of the same armor the others wear. No way would I let a dude cling to his ancient patchwork mk6.

But all the swag and decorations that do not impede on performance im all for. If I was a team leader I'd tell the space wolves and dark angels to put up their smelly furs and incense burners because I am not trying to get ambushed by pure strains and lictors who smell us miles away

Edited by Debauchery101

The reason Primaris were so plain at the start was because they were fresh out of the tubes and given brand new armour. With Indomitus(now a decade later story wise) the models show as having a lot more bling, it would feel weird not to put chapter icons all over them. 

I think the rule is at least one "I" per model and a shoulder pad to count as Deathwatch. The rest is up to your imagination and bitz box.