Executioners: Best Chapter Tactic to Represent Them?

Rommel44

Hey mates. Planning on doing a fun Executioners project atm and as things stand, while they are part of the Sons of Dorn, they do not play anything like the IFs or the CFs. They are essentially Barbarian Berserkers who love to crush their opponents in CC, so a Chapter Tactic or Chapter rules that represent them would be best. Atm, I could go BTs, BAs, SWs, WS's, or use CC Oriented Succesor Chapter Tactics, but which one do you think best represents them and why? Personally I am leaning towards the BAs atm for their CC buffs and the ability to take effective Elite Jump Pack Infantry. Edited by Rommel44

Blood Angels are really good.  I just prefer the White Scars, the fact that as a Successor you can get a +4" charge on the drop, or +3" without the psychic power, is amazing, mitigating the loss of  advance and charge..  Add to that 2 damage Lightning Claws, and three damage power fists and you have a real winner.  

Edited by CCE1981

Going by their old Chapter Tactics...

Bitter Mettle: All models with Chapter Tactics (Executioners) ignore all negative modifiers to their Leadership values, regardless of their cause.

Headhunters: All character models with this special rule inflict Instant Death on a To Wound roll of 6 in a Challenge – roll saves against these attacks separately. The character with the highest WS (if two or more characters are tied, then the controlling player must select one) in any assault with this special rule must always issue a challenge in an assault if possible.

...I'd go with Stoic (as a substitute for Bitter Mettle) and either Duellists or Whirlwind of Rage (as a substitute for Headhunters). None of those substitutes are exact replacements of either the rules or concepts of the originals, but they come about as close as any of the new Chapter Tactics can get.

Bitter Mettle: All models with Chapter Tactics (Executioners) ignore all negative modifiers to their Leadership values, regardless of their cause.

Headhunters: All character models with this special rule inflict Instant Death on a To Wound roll of 6 in a Challenge – roll saves against these attacks separately. The character with the highest WS (if two or more characters are tied, then the controlling player must select one) in any assault with this special rule must always issue a challenge in an assault if possible.

...I'd go with Stoic (as a substitute for Bitter Mettle) and either Duellists or Whirlwind of Rage (as a substitute for Headhunters). None of those substitutes are exact replacements of either the rules or concepts of the originals, but they come about as close as any of the new Chapter Tactics can get.

Yeah, I'm in agreement on this for those tactics :yes:

Blood Angels are really good.  I just prefer the White Scars, the fact that as a Successor you can get a +4" charge on the drop, or +3" without the psychic power, is amazing, mitigating the loss of  advance and charge..  Add to that 2 damage Lightning Claws, and three damage power fists and you have a real winner.  

You actually can't use those if you're running Executioners. They're a known successor of the Imperial Fists lineage

@Rommel44 the question I'd ask is what do you want to get out of this fun project? 

If it's an excuse to do a certain paint scheme, but you know how you want them to play.....then there's your answer.

If it's about being as fluffy as possible and you want both the hobby and crunch aspects to math the lore, then I would take what @Brother Tyler said above into account. 

Personally, I often find it more fun to find a way to win with certain units/rules as they are reflected in the fluff more than just started with certain or "the best" rules and then backtracking from there (not saying you are doing that). Just food for thought.

Personally, based on what you mentioned about the Executioners, my mind gets going thinking about fun ways to execute that core concept: Barbarian Berzerkers who hail from a traditionally stoic and static (relatively speaking) lineage. Black Templars are basically Dorn Berzerkers, but with knightly/Teutonic/crusader motifs...do you want to add a skin/paint job to that idea? Or take it in a different direction? You don't have to answer that, just hoping to guide your thought process if you have not already made up your mind.

Again, this is just me, but the idea that's coming to my mind for Executioners based on what you've said is basically Black Templars, but with Space Wolf trappings: long hair, beards, :cuss -huge axes and executioner blades. A Judiciar (if you do the Primaris stuff) with a giant axe instead of a sword, with formations built around getting him into position to shorten the opponent's leadership. I'm getting a vibe of Space Wolves meets Imperial Fists, where they ignore cover for shooting to represent knowledge of fortifications and defense to flush the enemy into the open where they then descend on them in a head-taking fury. A duality of supreme discipline that holds until they give in and go nuts on their opponents. 

Just my thoughts, obviously you do you. 

Yeah, I'm in agreement on this for those tactics :yes:

You actually can't use those if you're running Executioners. They're a known successor of the Imperial Fists lineage

In tournaments yes, in friendly play I separate lore from rules.  I despise being overly limited, I understand that certain tactics and items aren't tested together and you are limited to a Supplement but not that a certain paint scheme has any affect on rules.

I would say tactical withdrawal (boarding actions require falling back and re-engaging) and duelists (6’s to hit causing an auto wound could be representative of their axes finding their mark)