Back in Blue, a Primaris Ultramarines Thread

The Pounder

My son has finally settled on an army for 40k!

We've gone through Space Wolves, Black Legion to name a few! 

As I have got a playable force of Tyranids and a start to my Death Korps of Krieg it's time to put some time into my boy's Ultramarines.

He's not really interested in the painting side of things so I have free reign over the artistic aspect of the force.

I'm easing him into it slowly and have started the army with models he thinks are cool, which will hopefully keep his interest. 

With that in mind I thought I'd start him off with an HQ. I'll be using the colour scheme I used for my Horus Heresy Ultramarines.

I have fond memories of those years so seemed a fitting place to begin.

50772882357_b4e17c8f91_c.jpgUltramarines Indomitus Captain

50772765311_c869963062_c.jpgUltramarines Indomitus Captain

50772765936_c6c82337b1_c.jpgUltramarines Indomitus Captain

50772017648_517326f194_c.jpgUltramarines Indomitus Captain

50772882922_a702d3f5de_c.jpgUltramarines Indomitus Captain

I've started this thread to gather my thoughts on this project and hope people with experience of getting their kids into 40k will offer constructive advice!

Many thanks.

I don't have kids of my own but back in 4th edition I did tutor multiple 10-14 year olds and getting them into the hobby. (Back when the boxes where still affordable for that age range. . ) May I ask how old yours is?

People have different approaches how to teach new players the game, the way I did it was outlining the general idea of my list, the thing its good at, what each unit its role is in the list. Then I would let them tag with a game of mine, so 2 vs 1. I would point out a unit and give them 3 options every turn in general, so example:

These 5 chaos havocs with melta's in a rhino can either go for:
A That big tank over there on the frontline
B The heavy elite unit of your opponent 
C We wait a turn to get further in his backline to reach his basilisk.

You don't need to make the choices to obvious, you would be surprised how many will actually give ''the right answer''. 

I know my way is a lot different then how most people do it, I have seen some other mates of mine that preferred to go from small 500 point battles and scaling the games up by a 100 or 200 points. Their theory being that with less options it would be clearer for the newcomer what to do and not getting swamped with to many choices. (I personally can not play like this as small battles are just boring for me =/.) 

I sometimes do wonder what happened to one of those kids that I taught the game as he had so much potential, he was beating people of my group, which where pretty good at the game, within 2 months. When we had a 2 vs 2 tournament he asked me as a team partner and I let him draft our initial lists, the only thing I ''had'' / wanted to tweak was taking something out for 5 havocs with heavy bolters for horde armies. He understood the cheese quite well, 2 x Daemon prince with lash in combination with Defiler battle cannons makes it really easy to pull stuff out of cover, group them together, and then pie plate them into oblivion lol. (ended up 2nd place) Best game at the tournament where our 45 ? chaos models versus 220 orks. Endscore: 7 dead models on our side vs 200 of theirs. 

Some learned faster then others, the hardest thing when mentoring imo is biting back on your tongue initially and let them think. Do not feed them the answer when they are doubting, if they are doubting, make them doubt more by asking his thoughts behind the move he is making. It doesn't have to be the case that he made the wrong choice, but rather wanting to know what made him doubt in the first place. It also shows which units are on his priority list in his head so you might gauge if he understands the concept properly.

Its also in my opinion important as a mentor to get a feeling of what kind of playstyle fits the newcomer. Easiest distinction is melee or shooty, elite or horde, fast and fragile (dark eldar) or slow and steady (nurgle). 

I also never dissuaded a newcomer of picking a certain army. I always let them pick the faction which appealed to them. I am sorry to say but I developed a distaste for those Outriders back then (GW employee's that would hop between hobby stores for demo games and stuff) that where pushing Space Marines ALL THE TIME, disregarding what the newcomer found appealing because well, marines are forgiving when making a mistake whereas some armies like Dark Eldar a mistake translates into a destroyed raider with 160 points worth of wyches.

The captain you painted looks great, kuddo's for that. I would try to a certain extent to make him paint at least some of his models as in my opinion this makes a person bond on an emotional level with their own army. It will also give him insight how much effort it takes to paint certain stuff and thus most likely he will be more cautious when handling models + more gratefull towards you for doing all that work for him.

Thanks Son of Carnelian!

That was amazing advice Emurian! My boy is 9 so after teaching him Risk and Blood Bowl I think he’s ready!

I really like the idea of giving him 3 options I hadn’t thought of that, will help him learn strategies as well as the basic mechanics of the game.

As for playing smaller games, I agree fully, anything under 1000pts doesn’t feel right to me. Plus he’s obsessed with Guilliman!

With that in mind Guilliman is on the painting table now!

Updates to follow!

• 4 weeks later...
It's been a slow start to 2021.

Though I haven't been idol.

Finished the big G! I'm really happy with how he has turned out. 

I thought he had so much gold I had to do the Aquila and lower face plate in white, I think it gives a little more interest.

I've now roped my son and younger daughter into  painting the rank and file while I'll just paint the characters, so this thread will be updated as and when I make any progress.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Well it’s come to the point where I feel I need to tackle my grey pile of shame!

I’ve decided to step up the pace at which I’m painting my son’s Ultramarines.

I’ll be aiming to complete an Ultramarine unit every other week.

This thread is an attempt to keep me honest and productive.

Here’s Tigurius:

51208570025_3d6dc817c5_c.jpgTigurius

51206790732_66efd558aa_c.jpgTigurius

51207502516_134e210306_c.jpgTigurius

51207705283_f143052a82_c.jpgTigurius

There’s just over 2k pts to tackle so hopefully I’ll update soon.

• 1 month later...

Thanks space wolf!

I’ve managed to fit in another Ultramarine Character!

This time I’ve done a Primaris Chaplain on Bike.

I’m not the best at building models (I know, I’m lazy!) but this kit was a joy to build and to paint.

Really happy with the results and I’m looking forward to adding some Outriders to the painted pile!

51326492946_03f7989003_c.jpgUltramarines Primaris Chaplain

51327215679_0a4bf6f49c_c.jpgUltramarines Primaris Chaplain

51326492326_29a0527c61_c.jpgUltramarines Primaris Chaplain

51326491956_7df2697105_c.jpgUltramarines Primaris Chaplain

Thanks for looking!

Thanks lads!

Black Blow Fly, I really enjoy pa

Ishagu, yeah would be better if you could take larger units. That said my boy really loves the Primaris bikes etc.

He has 2 squads of Outriders, an ATV plus the Chaplain! Maybe not very competitive but he’s still getting into it, so I thought it best to go with the models he likes.

With that in mind here’s the list I’m building the Ultramarines to:

++ Battalion Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [78 PL, 1,620pts, 9CP] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Ultramarines

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 135pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 3) Null Zone (Aura), 5) Fury of the Ancients

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [6 PL, 115pts]: Litany of Hate

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power fist

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 125pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades

. Intercessor Sergeant: Thunder hammer

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: Bolt rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

. 2x Bladeguard Veteran: 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Master-crafted power sword, 2x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 175pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Invader ATV Squad [4 PL, 85pts]

. Invader ATV: Multi-melta

Outrider Squad [6 PL, 150pts]: Outrider Sgt

. 2x Outrider: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle

. 2x Outrider: 2x Astartes Chainsword, 2x Frag & Krak grenades, 2x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 2x Twin Bolt rifle

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 135pts]: Melta rifle

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt pistol

. Eradicator Sgt

Gladiator Valiant [13 PL, 230pts]

++ Supreme Command Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [19 PL, 380pts, 6CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [3CP]

+ Primarch | Daemon Primarch | Supreme Commander +

Roboute Guilliman [19 PL, 380pts, 3CP]: Nobility Made Manifest, Warlord

++ Total: [97 PL, 2,000pts, 15CP] ++

Do you think this would be fun for him?

• 2 months later...

I’ve been working on the Ultramarines again.

Below is a Knight and some Outriders.

Not the neatest but I’m getting the practice in! Should look better on the table.

50996373378_f8d78cda0b_c.jpgImperial Knight

51588771976_76905fb7c4_c.jpgUltramarines Outriders

51588987068_b377533e3d_c.jpgUltramarines Outriders

51588770706_8645d9474b_c.jpgUltramarines Outriders

I’m currently working on a Redemptor Dreadnought.

Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

I’m back working on the Ultramarines.

Hopefully I can build up some momentum with these.

This week I’ve been working on a Redemptor Dreadnought. Absolutely love this model. (Though it’s pretty brutal to face on the battlefield!!)

Here’s the pics:

51708145391_69e0cc1af0_c.jpgUltramarine Character

51709023955_7b84c5afa8_c.jpgUltramarines Redemptor Dreadnought

51708153496_f7c0e1525b_c.jpgUltramarines Redemptor Dreadnought

51708423898_b9d8880e36_c.jpgUltramarines Redemptor Dreadnought

51709032330_af043a6a08_c.jpgUltramarines Redemptor Dreadnought

51707361447_50f5291cba_c.jpgUltramarines Redemptor Dreadnought

Really happy with this as I’m trying to work on the neatness of my painting.

Hopefully I can improve in this regard moving forward.

Next up I need to get some Intercessors done.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Redrandy93!

Cheers Prot! I like a little nostalgia with my modernity!!

I got the wrong model out of my to-paint box so I’ll be doing some Assault Intercessors.

Moving forward I’ll be working to the following list:

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [62 PL, 1,249pts, 12CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 135pts]: Master of Strategy, Warlord

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 134pts]

. 5x Assault Intercessor: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 120pts]: Bolt rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant: Thunder hammer

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: Bolt rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator

Victrix Honour Guard [3 PL, 70pts]: Victrix Honour Guard, Victrix Honour Guard

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [62 PL, 1,249pts, 12CP] ++

Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely paint jobs man, I really like that outrider face, its very well done. May I have your recipe for faces as I suck with them in general?

Regarding the list, I assume your still playing versus your son. Did you find other players for you 2 to play against in the meanwhile or is it mostly you 2 facing off versus eachother?

Overall the list looks a fine casual list, if I would have to give feedback.

#1: You have 3 troop selections running around with sergeants that have gear on them. Tbh I expect one squad to take an objective in your own deployment zone that most likely won't see combat. I would personally remove the sergeant gear from the intercessor squads and keep them 5x boltgun allround.
#2: I do not see the added benefit of the Vicatrix guard aside of looking cool. You can make use of the independent character rules to hide your Tigurius. I also assume you try to keep the Tigurius near your dreadnought to cast Psychic Fortress (5++) and Might of Heroes (+1T) on your Redemptor to beef him to T8 5++. 

If you drop the Vicatrix and the 2 intercessor squad sergeant gear then free up 100 points for a 4th Intercessor squad for more board control. Less bling more basic. The main issue I see right now with your setup is that the intercessors are the only ones that want to remain stationary on an objective. Feels like the rest should keep moving including the dread. 

Thanks Emurian!

There’s a small group of us that mainly play at my house. It’s very casual and not at all competitive but that doesn’t mean we don’t want to win!

With that in mind I’ll take what you’ve said onboard I’ll have a play about with his list.

I’ll post the updated list in a bit!

Well that didn’t take long!!

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [60 PL, 1,250pts, 12CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 135pts]: Master of Strategy, Warlord

+ Troops +

Assault Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]

. 4x Assault Intercessor: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessor Sgt: Heavy Bolt Pistol, Power sword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Bolt rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 135pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Heavy flamer, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Heavy melta rifle

. Eradicator Sgt

++ Total: [60 PL, 1,250pts, 12CP] ++

Ok, I dropped the Victrix and the Sergeant upgrades and the 6th member of the Assault Intercessors.

With the spare points I got a squad of Aggressors!

They’re a really tasty unit and look as cool as the Victrix.

It made sense to drop the melee weapons which were pretty redundant as you said.

Now I just need to get this list painted!

Next up are the Assault Intercessors.