=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2021 [=

Grotsmasha

Outstanding completions here! Meanwhile, I need some help.

My pledge is a Salamander. There are loads of good tutorials online, but I didn't actually have any of the green paints like Moot Green or Warpstone Glow. I only had some very old Dark Angels Green and Goblin Green going solid. And so I thought "it doesn't matter, I don't need to buy a new paint for one single miniature, I can mix a green". I was wrong.

First I just mixed Vallejo yellow and blue and airbrushed it. Hmm, not quite right I thought. Maybe a bit of white. And maybe a bit more. The result: this very minty green.

med_gallery_93054_16876_29942.jpeg

Notice this is the first time I have got anything like a colour fade from dark to light working with the airbrush. It may be on the bit which will be covered by his arm, but I was so pleased I was not willing to start again. Instead I thought, no problem, I can create a glaze. I've got some yellow ink, some contrast blue, some Lahmian medium, I can do this. And to compound the error, I thought, if I'm going to glaze, I can do a strong edge highlight that will be knocked back later (because the airbrush hadn't created good fades everywhere). Here's the result.

med_gallery_93054_16876_27780.jpeg

Rather brighter, more yellowy, even slightly dirty green. I quite like it, but it doesn't scream "Salamander". And the edge highlights look terrible in places because they have not been 'knocked back' enough.

So I could:

• Just leave it, finish him up. He's rocking his own style of green. Weathering might disguise the worst edge highlights.
  • Change him to, say, Mantis Warrior. It would mean finding an ochre to redo shoulder pads. No reason a Mantis Warrior can't be black, but I would probably change the skin tone to at least a mid brown, and also lose the little flame heraldry (which I was quite pleased with!) just to create a bit of difference from the classic Salamander. BTW, anyone interested in Salamander skin tones might like to start here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/369585-salamanders-appearance-gene-seed-and-successors/?p=5680567

Any other ideas, people?

Edited by LameBeard

Outstanding completions here! Meanwhile, I need some help.

My pledge is a Salamander. There are loads of good tutorials online, but I didn't actually have any of the green paints like Moot Green or Warpstone Glow. I only had some very old Dark Angels Green and Goblin Green going solid. And so I thought "it doesn't matter, I don't need to buy a new paint for one single miniature, I can mix a green". I was wrong.

First I just mixed Vallejo yellow and blue and airbrushed it. Hmm, not quite right I thought. Maybe a bit of white. And maybe a bit more. The result: this very minty green.

med_gallery_93054_16876_29942.jpeg

Notice this is the first time I have got anything like a colour fade from dark to light working with the airbrush. It may be on the bit which will be covered by his arm, but I was so pleased I was not willing to start again. Instead I thought, no problem, I can create a glaze. I've got some yellow ink, some contrast blue, some Lahmian medium, I can do this. And to compound the error, I thought, if I'm going to glaze, I can do a strong edge highlight that will be knocked back later (because the airbrush hadn't created good fades everywhere). Here's the result.

med_gallery_93054_16876_27780.jpeg

Rather brighter, more yellowy, even slightly dirty green. I quite like it, but it doesn't scream "Salamander". And the edge highlights look terrible in places because they have not been 'knocked back' enough.

So I could:

• Just leave it, finish him up. He's rocking his own style of green. Weathering might disguise the worst edge highlights.
  • Change him to, say, Mantis Warrior. It would mean finding an ochre to redo shoulder pads. No reason a Mantis Warrior can't be black, but I would probably change the skin tone to at least a mid brown, and also lose the little flame heraldry (which I was quite pleased with!) just to create a bit of difference from the classic Salamander. BTW, anyone interested in Salamander skin tones might like to start here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/369585-salamanders-appearance-gene-seed-and-successors/?p=5680567

Any other ideas, people?

That is a lot closer to the early Salamanders green from the Armageddon Codex (IIRC), and I like it quite a lot, well done :TU:

So I could:

• Change him to, say, Mantis Warrior. It would mean finding an ochre to redo shoulder pads. No reason a Mantis Warrior can't be black, but I would probably change the skin tone to at least a mid brown, and also lose the little flame heraldry (which I was quite pleased with!) just to create a bit of difference from the classic Salamander.  BTW, anyone interested in Salamander skin tones might like to start here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/369585-salamanders-appearance-gene-seed-and-successors/?p=5680567

Any other ideas, people?

Lacking greens makes life tricky! Leave him as is. Lime green is perfectly valid for Salamanders.

7e7e85b555ce2e697fb7c2fcb69d90ca.jpg

46sm89k4yy561.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Besides, old-school captain deserves a custom paint job :)

Plan B; if your dark angels green is not 100% solid, you can resurrect at least some of it with a load of medium, e.g. lahmian medium or equivalent. If you wanted to make him more classic, you could make a thin glaze of that to darken it down; should look more like this I think;

662099c8f93cabaf313bb6f5e5ac86df.jpg

So, my April vows were completed, managed to knock out 1 Inquisitor, 2 Solar Auxilia command squads, and 18 Solar Auxilia troops (9 lasriflie, 9 volkite). Since I'm almost done with my Plodding Along vow, I'll go ahead and complete it in May-

I, Lord_Ikka, vow to complete 20 Solar Auxilia troopers (10 lasrifle, 10 volkite) for the month of May. This will finish my Plodding Along Vow for the first half of the year.

Pics 

Volkite (the remaining ten I haven't painted yet)

KIjRUcd.jpeg

Lasrifle (the remaining ten I haven't painted yet)

iyU723L.jpeg

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Presenting this month's pledge, completed (just) in time!

5 woman sister of battle squad from the army set. Two of them are constructed as the set would have you do them, the other three have had a bit of help from my bits box. The starter set would have you make a ten woman squad, I wanted a pair of fives, so had to make a second sister superior, simulacrum and an extra special weapon.

The thing I'm particularly happy with is that two girls in this squad share the same body, but with a bit of swapping parts you can barely tell!

j5NPKP6.jpg

owTVTO5.jpg

Only nine models left to complete my army set now, see you all next month!

And further to previous

Part way there, the Deathwatch part of my vow done

gallery_56701_16832_19912.jpg

gallery_56701_16832_50237.jpg
gallery_56701_16832_15437.jpg
gallery_56701_16832_34646.jpg
gallery_56701_16832_38920.jpg
gallery_56701_16832_149.jpg
And some Progress on my plodding along vow, just need to finish off the top plate and melta guns and I can attach that and add the decals, then just the top weapons to do.
gallery_56701_16832_19206.jpg

Now have completed the rest of the models for the month, Long fangs, Wolf guard and rune priest and the Knight trundles onwards

RP

Wg

HB

ML

KnightWIp

Great! In which case I'll keep it modest for April and in addition to my unfinished March models i'll just vow a single Assault Intercessor (for the Liber Astartes Swap Challenge) and a Deathwatch Terminator.

med_gallery_84244_11417_580328.jpg

Complete!

gallery_84244_16814_354810.jpg

Edited by Halandaar

April Summary

April saw a total of 33 Frater taking up the Challenge for another month. Of the 33 Frater, 32 managed to Complete their vows, with just one earning the Next Month Badge for April. Together the 33 Frater pledged 241 models, managing to complete 219 of those models.

I have streamlined awarding the Badges a little compared to previous years, and have begun adding Badges in the first post of each Month as they are earned. Please feel free to add them to your Signatures as you see them appear each month.

gallery_48988_15094_2576.pnggallery_48988_15094_2995.pnggallery_48988_15094_1516.pnggallery_48988_15094_1847.pnggallery_48988_15094_4892.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_2200.png

andes (Artificer, Last Minute)

Ace Debonair

Akhanist (Artificer, Seriously)

Azaiel (Stubborn, Artificer, Seriously)

Brother Argent (Artificer, Seriously)

Cleon (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute, Plodding Along)

Dwango (Artificer, Seriously)

Etheneus (Artificer, Seriously)

Focslain (Artificer, Seriously)

Gederas (Speed Daemon, Seriously)

Gore Crow (Artificer)

Grotsmasha (Seriously)

guardian31

Halandaar (Speed Daemon, Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute, Stubborn)

Heraclite (Artificer)

Jaxom (Artificer, Seriously)

Jolemai (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

LameBeard (Artificer, Last Minute)

Lienna (Artificer, Seriously)

Lord Ikka (Artificer, Speed Daemon, Seriously)

Llygos_Tyrant (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute, Stubborn)

Majkhel (Artificer, Stubborn)

Miek (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Rogue (Artificer, Seriously)

Skidman (Artificer, Seriously)

Slaves to Darkness (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

SufficientAnonymity (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

the_balloon_dog (Artificer)

The_Chaplain (Artificer)

toaae (Artificer, Last Minute)

TPS (Artificer, Seriously)

Trokair

sml_gallery_48988_15094_7207.png

Skywrath

gallery_48988_15094_5099.png

Once again, there were many good choices for my Favourite pick, but it is Majkhel's Heavy Intercessor Sergeant who claims the glory this month,

gallery_105306_14251_1164791.jpg

Edited by Grotsmasha

Skip to a month...

May

gallery_48988_15094_3577.png

The following award badges are up for grabs this month,

gallery_48988_15094_2345.png gallery_48988_15094_5325.png gallery_48988_15094_796.png gallery_48988_15094_7080.png gallery_48988_15094_33.png gallery_48988_15094_309.png gallery_48988_15094_1786.png

There is also a badge for those who wish to make a pledge for years end, a slow burn model or project to work on through out the year,

sml_gallery_48988_16821_3192.png

and for those who don't complete their pledge this month,

gallery_48988_15094_2386.png

There are Bronze, Silver, and Gold versions of these badges to be awarded to those who earn the same badge multiple times. There is also a Platinum version of each badge available to anyone who earns the same badge for all 12 months, even the Next Month badge :wink: .

Participating

Vowed, No pic

Vowed, with pic

Complete

List of Participants

AGPO -

andes - 1 Kommando Nob, Kyria Draxus (Artificer)

Ace Debonair - 1 Poxwalker (Speed Daemon)

Akhanist - 4 Wiggly Bois (Negavolt Cultists), 4 Urghuls re-based, 2 Rogue Psykers (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Axineton -

Azaiel - 2 ork Boys (Artificer)

Beaky Brigade - 9 Genestealers (Seriously, Last Minute)

Brother Argent - 5 Scouts (Artificer, Speed Daemon, Seriously, Last Minute)

Cleon - 5 Heavy Intercessors, 1 Heavy Intercessor Captain , Mephiston, 1 Primaris Librarian, 1 Jump-pack Chaplain (Artificer, Seriously)

DOGGED - 5 Sisters of Silence Prosecutors

Dosjetka -

Dwango - 10 Reivers, 1 Hired Gun (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Etheneus - 1 Valkyrie (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Focslain - 10 Infiltraitors, 1 Gravis Captain (Artificer, Seriously)

Gederas - 1+ mkIV Marines (Seriously, Last Minute)

Givemead -

Gore Crow - 5 Tartaros Terminators (Stubborn) (Artificer, Seriously)

Grotsmasha - Cannoness Veridyan, 5 Seraphim, 20 Battle Sisters, 1 Succubus, 4 Lhamaeans, 30 Wyches, 1 Raider (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

guardian31 - 1 Daemon Prince (Artificer, Seriously)

Halandaar - 5 Battle Sisters,1 Incensor Cherub, 5 Drukhari Scourges, 1 Deathwatch Terminator (Artificer, Seriously)

Heraclite - 2 helblasters, 2 Intercessors, 5 Intercessors (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Jaipii -

Jaxom - 1 Gravis Captain, ! Primaris Lieutenant, 1 Inercessor Sergeant (Artificer)

Jolemai - 1 Chapter Ancient, 7 Devastators (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

LameBeard - 1 AT Warhound (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Lienna - 5 Necron Warriors, 3 Scarab bases, 3 Arco-flagellants (Artificer, Seriously)

lokkorex -

Lord Ikka - 10 Las-rifle Troops, 10 Volkite Troops, 1 Royal Warden, 10 Warriors, 6 Skorpekh Destroyers, 1 Transcendant C'Tan, 1 Lohkust Lord, 1 Gravis Captain (Artificer, Seriously, Plodding Along)

Llygos_Tyrant - 1 Ultramarine Tactical Marine, 1 Sgt Telion, Crashed Aquila Lander (5), 1 Predator, 1 Objective Marker, (Stubborn), 1 Captain Cato Sicarius, 1 Ultramarine Librarian (Stubborn), 3 Objective Markers (Artificer, Seriously)

mactire -

Majkhel - 2 Heavy Intercessors (Stubborn), 1 Saunguinary Priest, 1 Primaris Chaplain (Artificer)

Miek - 5 Plaguebearers, 13 Scarab bases (Artificer, Seriously)

Ockland -

Razhabyuul -

Rogue - 2 GSC Acolytes (Artificer)

roguechaplain -

Sabadin -

Skidman - 10 Havoks (Culverins), 10 Assault Legionaires, 2 Deimos Vindicators (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Skywrath - 1 Deathwing Master, 1 Deathwing Apothecary, 1 Deathwing Ancient, Supreme Grand Master Azrael, Asmodai (Artificer)

Slaves to Darkness - 2 Deathriders, 1 Guardsman

SufficientAnonymity - 6 Sword Brethren (Artificer, Seriously, Stubborn)

the_balloon_dog - 1 Mechnicus Tech Priest (Artificer)

The_Chaplain - 3 Artel MegaNobz, 1 Khaorne Daemon Prince, 1 Khorne Herald, Karanak, 5 Khorne Hounds (Artificer, Seriously)

ThePenitentOne -

Thomoski -

toaae - Re-base 30 Orks (Seriously)

TPS - 1 AT Warmaster Titan (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Trokair - 5 Necromunda Corpse Grinders (Artificer, Seriously, Last Minute)

Plogging Along Pledges for 2021

AGPO - 1+ Celestial Lions

Arkhanist - Blackstone Fortress - 7 Traitor Guard, 4 Chaos Beastmen, 4 Ur-Ghuls, 4 Spindle Drones, Obsidius Mallex, 2 Chaos Space Marines, 4 Negavolt Cultists, 2 Rogue Psykers, 7 Traitor Guard, Janus Draik, Taddeus the Purifier, Espern Locarno, Pious Vorne, UR-025, Dahyak Grekh, Amallyn Shadowguide, Rein and Raus

Axineton - 10 Intercessors

Brother Argent - 2 Ryza Pattern Sprues, Thermic Plasma Conduits, 2 Thermic Plasma Regulators, 2 Haemotrope Reactors, Alchomite Stack, Imperial Objectives, 2 Galvannic Servo Haulers and Crane, Galvannc Magnavent, 3 Ruined Buildings, Fuel Pipes, Thermo Exchanger Shrine, Aegis Defence Line

Cleon - Imperial Knight Castellan (APR)

DOGGED - 10,000pts Talons of the Emperor

Dwango - Lion El Jonson, Primarch of the 1st

Fenrykus - 10 Sternguard marines

Focslain - Imperial Outpost (2 Gang Strongholds, 1 Bastion, 1 Skyshield Pad)

Gederas - Lion El'Jonson, Sire of the Dark Angels (FEB), Lion El'Jonson at Thramas (display model), Praetor (Terminator Armour), Legion Praetor Tribune, Primus Medicae in Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Praetor in Cataphractii Armour, Legion Praetor, Legion Praetor in Cataphractii Armour, Leviathan Dreadnought, 20 Mark II Tactical Legionaires, 20 Mark II Assault Legionaires, 30 Mark IV Tactical Legionaires, 30 Mark III Tactical Legionaires, 5 Mellta Tactical Support Legionaires, 5 PlasmaTactical Support Legionaires, 5 FlamerTactical Support Legionaires, 10 Tartaros Terminators, 1 Nephilim Jetfighter

Heraclite - 3 Scenery pieces (MAR)

Jolemai - 9 Necromunda Gangers (MAR), 19 Necromunda Gangers

Lienna - 1+ Adepta Sororitas

Lord Ikka - 19 lasrifle Solar Auxilia infantry, 19 volkite Solar Auxilia infantry, 2 Solar Auxilia Command sections, 2 Taurox Primes, 1 slightly converted Corvus Blackstar (MAY)

Majkhel - 1 Storm Raven

Miek - 1 Plaguebearers, 29 Plaguebearers

roguechaplain - AdMech Archaeopter

Skidman - 2 Knight Titans

The_Chaplain - 50 Warriors, 5 Lychguard, 5 Gauss Immortals, 5 Triarch Praetorians, 6 Skorpekh Destroyers, 1 Skorpekh Lord, 2 Overlords, 1 Royal Warden, 1 Technomancer, 1 Plasmancer, 2 Crypto Thralls, 3 Ophydian Destroyers, 3 Canoptek Wraiths, 1 Canoptek Spyder, 1 Hexmark Destroyer, 1 Triarch Stalker, 1 Illuminor Szeras, 1 Void Dragon, 1 Silent King, 1 Tesseract Ark, 1 Doomsday Ark, 1 Night Scythe Bomber, 1 Catacomb Command Barge

ThePenitentOne - 18 15" Board Tiles, additional terrain pieces

TPS - 1 Magos, 5 Castellax, 3 Thallax, 10 Secutarii Hoplites, Thanatar, 1 Chaos Knight

Trokair - 1+ Adepta Sororitas

Participants on the Randomizer List

Chaplain Dosjetka: Custodes (Double 2), or Chaos Daemons, or Necrons

Grotsmasha: Agents of the Imperium, HH White Scars

LameBeard: Salamander

mactire: Deathwatch or Craftworld Eldar / Harlequins

the_ballon_dog: Grey Knights or Iron Hands

TPS: Dark Angels Successor, or Chaos Space Marines

Edited by Grotsmasha

Vow Complete!

med_gallery_93054_16876_40429.jpeg

Thanks for the encouragement frater! In the end, I tried a few things, but I still wasn't in control, and once the arms were on, and he was on the base, the green grew on me even more. Even though he's not in a Rogue Trader Salamander colour scheme, I think the brightness still gives off a Rogue Trader / 2nd edition feel - I might post more pictures in daylight. And even though I used my most expensive new detail brush, I just couldn't hit those eyes with any more than a vague graze, so I decided not to make them red. Note to self: no more eyes!

I Slave to Darkness continue the 12 month hobby vow, and for the month of April I vow to complete...

1 Legion of the Damned Commander, 1 Legion of the Damned Ancient, 1 Kitbashed Vet Sgt Centurius (place holder mini in image until I find the bits I need), 3 Guard Vets, 2 Heavy Weapons teams, 1 Officer and 1 Whiteshield.

med_gallery_75911_16900_168028.jpg

med_gallery_75911_16900_749561.jpg

med_gallery_75911_16900_345587.jpg

Done

Legion of the Damned Commander, Ancient and counts as Vet Sgt Centurius

med_gallery_75911_16900_408690.jpg

and the rest of the vow.

med_gallery_75911_16900_1125552.jpg

I Slave to Darkness vow blah blah month of May something something vow to complete two 'Deathriders' and a Veteran Guardsman.

med_gallery_75911_16900_228645.jpg

I thought I would do a small vow this month, I wanna crack on with a cityfight board and dont want a load of minis distracting me.

Edited by Slave to Darkness