=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2021 [=

Grotsmasha

August vow is complete!

FLQicvil.jpg WyiQAnsl.jpg T0QZ71Dl.jpg

I call them the Fly Guys. Here's everyone so far, most of whom where completed as part of this challenge.

kqwZ5NRl.jpg

This gets me in view of the soft finish line I set for myself. I just have one more model to complete before I hit the "I'm not building and painting these until the new codex comes out," point.

I, andes, continue the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of July pledge to complete 5 Ork Stormboyz by month's end.

I declare my vow complete!

4DaQz4ph.jpg

Lovely orks, a well deserved win! Random question I've been meaning to ask - what's the scheme for the bases?

Would like to steal it for my kill team!

Lovely orks, a well deserved win! Random question I've been meaning to ask - what's the scheme for the bases?

Would like to steal it for my kill team!

Thanks for the kind words! The basing scheme is a bit of a hodgepodge, but here goes:

1. CA glue sand and model railroad ballast to the base for the texture
  2. Prime black
  3. Splotch some VMC Burnt Umber here and there. Let dry.
  4. Drybrush with VGC Beastly Brown. Let dry.
  5. Splotch some Nuln Oil here and there. Let dry.
  6. Splotch some Agrax Earthshade here and there, trying not to overlap the Nuln Oil too much. Let dry.
  7. Drybrush VMC Iraqi Sand

I think the splotching helps mix it up and adds a more natural color variation. The exact colors don't matter too much, if I have similar colors out already I might sub them in (like VMC Buff in place of the Iraqi Sand). Sometimes I get overly enthusiastic drybrushing the Sand layer and have to knock it back with a bit of Agrax Earthshade.

Due to IRL being a real bitch, I only managed to get through three of this month. I don't think I will complete my vow in time, but I'll get those models done sometime next month/later this year. Sorry Grotsmasha :(

Due to IRL being a real bitch, I only managed to get through three of this month. I don't think I will complete my vow in time, but I'll get those models done sometime next month/later this year. Sorry Grotsmasha :sad.:

Nothing to apologise for bud, 1 model is a Completion for the month, anything extra is just gravy :tu:

Vow this month complete, rather tiered after all the gaunts, might focus on few models next month, will see.

So I have been fairly occupied by my Thousand Sons this month, built a whole bunch and played some games, but I did squeeze in some painting time.
I chose not to use the darker wood on the Hormagaunts, so that I can more easily/quickly tell them apart from the Genestealers and Termagant that both use it.
gallery_29932_13875_14266.jpg
I rather liked the effect so was also more sparing of the darker wood on the Zoanthropes (basically just the bow), should contrast nicely to the Warriors. The arrow is a psychic smites, hence why it is in the energy purple, I have also put more purple on these guys than any of the others to emphasis the psychic nature of these.
gallery_29932_13875_56304.jpg

Managed to complete the Lieutenant and 1 Sister:
med_gallery_105306_14251_898403.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_82136.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_1423119.jpgmed_gallery_105306_14251_263574.jpgmed_gallery_105306_16875_900965.jpg

I will do my best to complete the other 2 Sisters, but I lost my focus when it comes to Mephiston. Apparently the closing of August is not a good time for the Librarius and I got drawn to the Reclusiam instead. So I would like to exchange the Mephiston from my August vow for a Primaris Chaplain on bike:

med_gallery_105306_14251_593035.jpg

I, toaae, blah blah blah, 40 Evil Sunz Choppa boys in August:

med_gallery_14776_14614_653328.jpg

I painted these guys to the barest 3-color-minimum for LVO2019. I'm now going to knock them out since I need choppa boys, and this is my last major addition for my red Orks (going Goffs from now on).

I've made a lot of progress on the lot, but finally hit a block when it came time to basecoat all the metallics. This is easily my least favorite step, and doing it over 40 models is a big ol' oof.

So I cut out ten and finished them:

med_gallery_14776_14604_185416.jpg

med_gallery_14776_14604_159388.jpg

As it turns out, the second baby puts way more of a dent in your hobby time than the first one. Which is why 'm only now posting a vow for August, and why it's quite small.

I, Rogue, vow to complete one (just one) of these Jackals before the end of August. It might happen.

Now, he's a bit further on at this point than the photo shows, because I took that two weeks ago, but I'm still putting down base colours, so I'm not feeling all that confident. That said, I'm on a two-and-a-half year streak of monthly completions, so I have the motivation right there. As long as everyone else stays asleep... 

it seems I was a little more pessimistic than I needed to be. In the end, I finished the leader (the model I vowed), and then managed to get the other two done by last night as well. I know it's not a full unit or anything, but I'm liking how they look so far.

Here's the Jackal leader:

jackal A

And here she is with her jackal friends:

jackals

Next month should be the Jackal Alphus, but no photo yet.

August Summary

As we start the path to the end of 2021, we are still seeing strong participation in the Challenge with 24 Frater pickinmg up the gauntlet for August. Of the 24 Frater, 23 managed to complete their pledges, with just 1 Frater unable to finish their vow1. Between the 24 of us we pledged to complete 176 models, and managed to complete 120 of those models.

Compared to previous years, I have streamlined awarding the Badges a little, and have begun adding Badges in the first post of each Month as they are earned. Please feel free to add them to your Signatures as you see them appear each month.

- the 3rd time you earn a Badge it upgrades from Black to Bronze, available from March

- the 6th time you earn a Badge it upgrades from Bronze to Silver, available from June

- the 9th time you earn a Badge it upgrades from Silver to Gold, available from September

- if you manage to earn a Badge for all 12 Months of the Challenge, it will upgrade to Platinum

The Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum Badges are in a separate Post below.

gallery_48988_15094_31.png gallery_48988_15094_2120.png gallery_48988_15094_5231.png gallery_48988_15094_3889.png gallery_48988_15094_2519.png gallery_48988_15094_4929.png

andes (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

Ace Debonair (Speed Daemon)

Cleon (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

Dwango (Artificer, Last Minute)

Etheneus (Artificer, Seriously)

Grotsmasha (Speed Daemon, Last Minute, Seriously)

guardian31

Halandaar (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

Heraclite

Jaipii (Artificer, Last Minute)

Jaxom (Seriously)

Jolemai (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

LameBeard (Artificer, Last Minute)

Lord Ikka (Speed Daemon, Artificer, Seriously)

Majkhel (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

Miek (Artificer)

Rogue (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

Skywrath (Artificer)

the_balloon_dog (Artificer, Speed Daemon)

toaae (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

TPS (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)

Trokair (Artificer, Seriously)

Wolf Guard Einar

gallery_48988_15094_2750.png

Lienna

gallery_48988_15094_3315.png

Some seriously good entries this month, shout-outs to Jaipii's excellent Vanguard Veteran, miek's amazing Psychomancer, and Dwango's fantastic Chaplain, but once again I'm drawn to these phenomenal Beast Snaggas, please join me in congratulating andes for their second Favorite in a row.

5ndchTGh.jpg

hsci5vyh.jpg

Edited by Grotsmasha

Skip to a month...

September

gallery_48988_15094_8250.png

The following award badges are up for grabs this month,

gallery_48988_15094_4206.png gallery_48988_15094_4287.png gallery_48988_15094_4149.png gallery_48988_15094_1602.png gallery_48988_15094_1243.png gallery_48988_15094_7031.png gallery_48988_15094_4025.png

There is also a badge for those who wish to make a pledge for years end, a slow burn model or project to work on through out the year,

sml_gallery_48988_16821_3192.png

and for those who don't complete their pledge this month,

gallery_48988_15094_3505.png

There are Bronze, Silver, and Gold versions of these badges to be awarded to those who earn the same badge multiple times. There is also a Platinum version of each badge available to anyone who earns the same badge for all 12 months, even the Next Month badge :wink: .

Participating
Vowed, No pic
Vowed, with pic
Complete

List of Participants

AGPO -
andes - 5 KT Ork Kommandos (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
Ace Debonair - 1 Plasmacyte, 3 Skorpeth Destroyer (Artificer, Last Minute)
Akhanist -
Axineton -
Azaiel -
Beaky Brigade -
Brother Argent -
Cleon - 3 Bladeguard, 3 Eradicators (Artificer, Seriously)
DOGGED -
Dosjetka -
Dwango - 1 Captain, 1 Librarian, 3 Eliminators (Stubborn), 10 Death Korps of Kreig (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
Etheneus - 1 Company Commander (Speed Daemon)(Artificer)
Focslain -
Gederas -
Givemead -
Gore Crow -
Grotsmasha - 1 Wolf Lord, 15 Blood Claws, 1 Razorback, 5 Havoks (Stubborn), 3 GSC (Speed Daemon)(Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
guardian31 - 1 Chaos Spawn (Artificer, Last Minute)
Halandaar - 3 Tyranid Warriors (Stubborn), 1 Hive Crone (Artificer, Seriously)
Heraclite - 1 Primaris Ancient, 1 Chapter Ancient (Artificer)
Jaipii - 1 Vanguard Veterans (Stubborn), 1 Vanguard Veteran (Stubborn)(Artificer, Last Minute)
Jaxom - Horticulus Slimex and Mulch (Artificer, Lat Minute, Seriously)
Jolemai - 3 Necromunda Gangers, 1 Dreadnaught Droppod (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
LameBeard - 1 KT Guardsman, 10 KT Guardsmen (Artificer, Last Minute)
Lienna -
lokkorex -
Lord Ikka - 6 Eradicators, 5 Intercessors, 2 Acolytes, 1 Primaris Apothecary, 3 Eliminators (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
Llygos_Tyrant -
mactire -
Majkhel - 5 Heavy Intercessors (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
Miek - 2 Plaguebearers (Artificer)
Ockland -
Razhabyuul -
Rogue - 1 GSC Jackal Alpha (Artificer)
roguechaplain -
Sabadin -
Skidman -
Skywrath -
Slaves to Darkness -
SufficientAnonymity -
the_balloon_dog - 1 Primaris Outrider Chaplain (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
The_Chaplain -
ThePenitentOne -
Thomoski -
toaae - 10 Evil Sunz Boyz (Stubborn), 1 Shokkjump Dragsta, 1 Rukkatrukk Squigbuggy, 20 Evil Sunz Boyz (Stubborn)(Artificer, Seriously)

TPS - 15 Corpse Grinder Cultists, 1 Chaos Knight (Artificer, Seriously)
Trokair - 1 Carnifex, 3 Biovores, 12 Spore Mines (Artificer, Last Minute, Seriously)
Wolf Guard Einar -

Plogging Along Pledges for 2021

AGPO - 1+ Celestial Lions

Arkhanist - Blackstone Fortress - 7 Traitor Guard, 4 Chaos Beastmen, 4 Ur-Ghuls, 4 Spindle Drones, Obsidius Mallex, 2 Chaos Space Marines, 4 Negavolt Cultists, 2 Rogue Psykers, 7 Traitor Guard, Janus Draik, Taddeus the Purifier, Espern Locarno, Pious Vorne, UR-025, Dahyak Grekh, Amallyn Shadowguide, Rein and Raus

Axineton - 10 Intercessors

Brother Argent - 2 Ryza Pattern Sprues, Thermic Plasma Conduits, 2 Thermic Plasma Regulators, 2 Haemotrope Reactors, Alchomite Stack, Imperial Objectives, 2 Galvanic Servo Haulers and Crane, Galvanic Magnavent, 3 Ruined Buildings, Fuel Pipes, Thermo Exchanger Shrine, Aegis Defence Line

Cleon - Imperial Knight Castellan (APR)

DOGGED - 10,000pts Talons of the Emperor

Dwango - Lion El Jonson, Primarch of the 1st

Fenrykus - 10 Sternguard marines

Focslain - Imperial Outpost (2 Gang Strongholds, 1 Bastion, 1 Skyshield Pad)

Gederas - Lion El'Jonson, Sire of the Dark Angels (FEB), Lion El'Jonson at Thramas (display model), Praetor (Terminator Armour), Legion Praetor Tribune, Primus Medicae in Cataphractii Terminator Armour, Praetor in Cataphractii Armour, Legion Praetor, Legion Praetor in Cataphractii Armour, Leviathan Dreadnought, 20 Mark II Tactical Legionaires, 20 Mark II Assault Legionaires, 30 Mark IV Tactical Legionaires, 30 Mark III Tactical Legionaires, 5 Mellta Tactical Support Legionaires, 5 PlasmaTactical Support Legionaires, 5 FlamerTactical Support Legionaires, 10 Tartaros Terminators, 1 Nephilim Jetfighter

Heraclite - 3 Scenery pieces (MAR)

Jolemai - 21 Necromunda Gangers (SEP), 7 Necromunda Gangers

Lienna - 1 Cannoness, 5 Celestians, 5 Seraphim, 5 Battle Sisters, 5 Repentia, 3 Arcoflaggelants, 1 Penitent Engine (JUN)

Lienna - Saint Celestine, 1 Imagifier, 1 Retributor squad, 1 Repentia squad, 1 Seraphim squad, 1 Battle Sister squad, 1 Exorcist, 1 Rhino, 1 Immolator, 2 Penitent Engines

Lord Ikka - 19 lasrifle Solar Auxilia infantry, 19 volkite Solar Auxilia infantry, 2 Solar Auxilia Command sections, 2 Taurox Primes, 1 slightly converted Corvus Blackstar (MAY)

Majkhel - 1 Storm Raven

Miek - 1 Plaguebearers, 29 Plaguebearers

roguechaplain - AdMech Archaeopter

Skidman - 2 Knight Titans

The_Chaplain - 50 Warriors, 5 Lychguard, 5 Gauss Immortals, 5 Triarch Praetorians, 6 Skorpekh Destroyers, 1 Skorpekh Lord, 2 Overlords, 1 Royal Warden, 1 Technomancer, 1 Plasmancer, 2 Crypto Thralls, 3 Ophydian Destroyers, 3 Canoptek Wraiths, 1 Canoptek Spyder, 1 Hexmark Destroyer, 1 Triarch Stalker, 1 Illuminor Szeras, 1 Void Dragon, 1 Silent King, 1 Tesseract Ark, 1 Doomsday Ark, 1 Night Scythe Bomber, 1 Catacomb Command Barge

ThePenitentOne - 18 15" Board Tiles, additional terrain pieces

TPS - 1 Magos, 5 Castellax, 3 Thallax, 10 Secutarii Hoplites, Thanatar, 1 Chaos Knight

Trokair - 1+ Adepta Sororitas

Participants on the Randomizer List

Chaplain Dosjetka:

Grotsmasha:

LameBeard:

mactire:

the_ballon_dog:

TPS:

Edited by Grotsmasha

I've not managed to complete all of my vow, altough I am very close. I have managed to complete the Chaplain and Judicar. The others will have to go onto my September vow.

gallery_141590_16880_10647.jpg

gallery_141590_16880_67918.jpg

gallery_141590_16880_74104.jpg

I, Dwango , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of September pledge to complete 1 Captain, 1 Librarian & 3 Eliminators for the Shadow Haunters 6th company by month's end.